Skip to content

Discuss This DSA video explains new licence rules General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > DSA video explains new licence rules

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

DSA video explains new licence rules

The Driving Standards Agency has released a video on new motorcycle licence rules coming into force on January 19. The three-minute video explains the minimum age limits for different types of motorcycles under the new rules.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 January 2013 15:58)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
weejeemy

Oct 09

weejeemy says:

Unbelievable

Think of the uproar that would follow if four wheelers were treated in the same way.

Reply to this Topic
gaw100

Jan 13

gaw100 says:

Why bother?

Unless you want to take a pillion, I cannot see why anyone would bother taking a test before their 19th birthday. Good thing though is that all those cash-strapped kids will be able to save money on lessons, etc.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

Unbelievable

How anyone could dream up  a system so complex defies belief.

Yet again, proof that the DSA (and their Euro partners in crime) would really rather folk didn't get out onto two wheels.

Perhaps MCN could arrange an interview with one of their representatives, to hear their side of things. Tho I doubt there's anyone at the DSA who could string a coherent sentence together.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

DSA Incompetence

"If you are using a MOPED, then the engine must be NO BIGGER THAN 50cc"....

Well if it IS bigger than 50cc, it's NOT A MOPED anyway. It'll be a motorcycle or a scooter.

Reply to this Topic
DamianJ

Feb 09

DamianJ says:

23 Year Old

Well thank God I did my test back in 2008 when I was 18, with my first bike being a bandit 1200 which may have conveniently lost its restrictors. Now, at the ripe old age of 23, I have bad an SP1, ZX10R, RSV-R as well as a custom big bored GSXR1100. (I like swapping and changing) I have now placed an order for a new ZX10r and am relieved that I am actually allowed to drive the thing. There are two reasons why this is unacceptable: Firstly, the EU's knowledge about motorcycles and their perception about what is dangerous or not is skewed. They are either deliberately being difficult, with certain powerful members having personal reasons for wanting to prevent bikers from riding, or they are woefully misinformed. Either way, this needs to be resolved. As you can see, over the last five years of riding, I have had two accidents at sub-30mph by drivers pulling out of traffic suddenly. These factors have nothing to do with power or power-weight ratio. In fact, both happened on a Bandit 12, which due to its size meant that the cars were more hurt than it! I doubt I would have been quite as lucky had I been on anything smaller. The second reason is political, and I think most of us agree that It is preposterous that an un-elected and faceless supra-governmental organisation is continuing to dictate our legislation in this way. It is undemocratic and, I hazard to say, slightly Orwellian in nature.

Reply to this Topic
col675

Jan 13

col675 says:

confused

My wife is 45 , can I buy her any bike for her next birthday and let her ride it on L plates ? I agree wholeheartedly with training , but does it really have to be so confusing ?

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Don't complain here guys........

...........STOP VOTING the bastards back in every five years. This mess is YOUR OWN FAULT!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

so unlike

the fairly ensible system we had where you were restricted for 2 years then your liscence automaticaly changed so you could ride anything now youle have to retest that is clearly just a money making exercise and has nothing to do with safety im sorry but if it was fine for the past however many years why is it sudenly dangerous what a bunch of tossers i wish  our goverment would pull there bloody fingers out and stop day dreaming about rentboys and actuly do a proper job the dsa is clearly run by a bunch of greedy arseholes who are just targeting bikers because we are an easier target than cagers

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

@piroflip

edited , because i can't be bothered:sleep:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

They're obsessed with size

Funny, since you could do mod 1 on a 480cc GS500[*] and get an "A" pass (before the 19th), then do mod 2 on a 670cc NC700 afterwards and only get an "A2".

[*] Older model GS500s made slightly over 35kW and so are 'big' bikes under the current scheme but neither A2 nor A2 under the new.  Newer ones make slightly under, and so are new A2 bikes but not currently suitable for 'big' / A / DAS tests.  Although they're commonly used for it.  The DSA apparently either doesn't know this, or doesn't care.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices