Skip to content

Discuss This DSA releases list of ‘A2’ bikes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > DSA releases list of ‘A2’ bikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

DSA releases list of ‘A2’ bikes

The DSA has released a list of machines officially recognised as suitable for the new ‘A2’ motorcycle test. From January 19, all new riders under 24 will have to spend time restricted to 47bhp with an A2 motorcycle licence before graduating to unrestricted machines. The new rules are explained in a DSA video below. The DSA stressed that its list of A2-compatible bikes...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 January 2013 16:32)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

@HerbertChapman

i refer you to my earlier comment sir.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

Someone's joking ?

HerbertChapman

In that case it's the DSA, not MCN, having a laugh. It is on the list, I checked.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/dsa-bl/dsa-motorcycle-mtv-jan13.pdf

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

And no Triumphs on the list. They must think there is enough Brit bikes with the Brough on there. Has anyone got a list of Brough dealers as I'd like to order one in time for the new reg's on the 1st March?

Reply to this Topic
Danny456D

Nov 12

Danny456D says:

Ha, I'm sure theres plenty of 18 year olds with Brough Superiors. Pretty much all of them are lame shitters that no under 24 year old will ever want to own, nor should they have to.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

You what?

A Brough Superior? Yeah I see them every day round these parts...

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

this isn't a licence disaster but a brough opportunity

I'm thinking of opening a Brough dealership. Been looking at Ebay and I reckon I can source one. 

So what I'm looking for is a Brough salesman, a Brough technician, a Brough parts person and maybe someone to do the admin. 

1 BIKE IN THE SHOWROOM (in need of a little tlc - salesman talk for complete restoration) and a team of 4 plus a manager. 

All I need now is a customer. With these new rules the showroom will be packed. :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

The DSA issued a version of the document Robell has posted eight days earlier and it didn't have the Brough Superior on. I think it's likely that some bright spark contacted them with a wind-up question about the Brough so they put it in the update.

I wasn't aware that there are more changes scheduled for 2018:

"Category A: Motorcycle without side car, must be at least 595cc with a power output of at least 40kw or (53.6bhp). From the end of 2018 the power output will change to at least 50 kW. A minimum kerb weight of 180 kg will also apply. Machines affected by the change in minimum power are shown as A*  These machines will not be able to be used for test from the end of 2018. This change is still subject to EU approval."

Seems odd.

Reply to this Topic
Biketester

Apr 10

Biketester says:

A2 machines

The the new list of bikes that can be used for the 3rd Directive tests  (including A2 machines) went live several months ago and the Brough Superior was the first A2 bike to be added (some people in DSA do have a sense of humour you know). Since then many manufacturers have provided DSA with information on their range of machines - this has been really helpful in letting everyone know which machines they can use for their test.

The only reason Triumph aren't on the list is because they haven't given DSA any information - as soon as they do I'm sure DSA will publish it.

The full list can be seen here - http://assets.dft.gov.uk/dsa-bl/dsa-motorcycle-mtv-jan13.pdf

Reply to this Topic
gaw100

Jan 13

gaw100 says:

This change is still subject to EU approval

So the official list states that the 2018 increase in category A power is ' subject to EU approval' - Does that mean that we are driving EU policy on this one? Why haven't other countries had to adopt the new rules? http://assets.dft.gov.uk/dsa-bl/dsa-motorcycle-mtv-jan13.pdf Looking at the list, I find it amazing that Triumph is completely missing.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

@Bikester

Hi Biketester

Good to see someone from the DSA (I'm guessing that's where you work, from your posts) is prepared to talk to folk who actually ride bikes. For that reason I'll keep some popularly held opinions about the DSA to myself !

Ignoring the minor detail, such as riding Brough's, it'd be interesting to hear just how the changes are going to improve road safety, and what the projected improvemets are likely to be.

After allowing for the probability that there will simply be less of us.

Possibly thro an interview with MCN, if you prefer, rather than a discussion board ?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices