Skip to content

Ask an Expert Need for "Progressive" Speed Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Need for "Progressive" Speed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

greeningc

Jul 12

greeningc says:

Need for "Progressive" Speed

Dear All,

I am a 45 year old.  I passed my CBT and theory test last year and have just passed my Mod 1 but I have a problem (amongst many too disturbing to detail on the web!) – I struggle getting up to speed – being knocked about above 50mph is really disconcerting for me.

I know this is all about experience and confidence but frankly when I’m out on my bicycle I don’t particularly enjoy fast downhills due to "wind".  But I really enjoy being out on the bike (motorised and pedal based).

I think I am going to struggle with mod2 when it comes to zooming up the dual carriageway at 60+ mph to prove that I can “maintain progress”.  I have absolutely no problem with the concept and I know that it isn’t going to change because it doesn’t suit me; so what advice please on getting that speed up?

My personal view is:

·         Get a very faired and screened up bike for the mod2 – but all the training schools in the area lack these bikes to train on.

·         Buy a suitable bike ahead of mod2 – am I likely to get insurance?

I know I sound like an old granny but any views / advice would be appreciated, I’m keen to “progress”.  I have been taking my YBR out and trying to increase speed gradually but I think it will only get me so far.

Cheers, Chris

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 January 2013 18:08)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

You're Heading

In the right direction:smile. As you quite rightly state it's all about experience, the more you get the more "normal" the buffeting etc will feel. What you may be doing at the moment is trying to "Brace" yourself against the wind, by doing this you tense up which in turn makes the bike stiffen up. Try to Relax as you ride, roll your shoulders around occasionally & do the "Funky Chicken" by flapping your arms around whilst maintaining a relaxed grip on the handlebars (try to make sure noone's watching you when you do these exercises as you can look a bit of a pillock if you're enthusiastic with them!:blink:)

Use that YBR as much as you can, the higher speeds on that will feel slightly worse than the larger bike as there's less weight so less stability at speed, get used to thrashing it a bit & you'll soon become more comfortable with it all.

Not surprised you don't like going fast on a pushbike, bloody dangerous them things and look at that saddle; "Like sitting on a Razorblade"!!:tongue::lol:

Best of luck with the Mod 2, let us know how you get on

Happy Riding:biggrin:   

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

as far as i'm aware

if you turn up on a differant bike for mod2 from the one you took mod1 on they will cancel the test. not sure why this is. otherwise previous advice. relax and it will come!

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Size Matters...

As in engine size that is, the tests are not bike specific as long as they conform to the type of test you're taking i.e. A, A1 or A2

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

I am assume your doing

your direct access and lessons on a bigger bike. I imagine its just nerves and your making a bigger thing out of it and tensing up making the whole situation worse. I find up to 80mph is fine for sustaining long term on a naked after that the wind can be tiring but not frightening its more a matter of comfort. However buffeting on busy motorways and A roads can be worse if your behind a lorry or somthing big perhaps thats what your finding. I would just build up and get used to it as where my test was alot of the riding was on busy a roads and dual carrageway so its someting you need to be comfortable with.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Mod 2

You'd better get a move on because the new license regs come in on 19th Jan, if you ain't done it by then it won't matter that you've already passed Mod 1 because you'll still come under the new test. This may be an issue because you've not said if you were going for direct access to bigger bikes or taking the test on a smaller one for the 33bhp category? If the later it's no wonder you're getting knocked around over 60mph on a smaller bike.

Reply to this Topic
greeningc

Jul 12

greeningc says:

All Useful Stuff

Dear All - this is all very useful advice and greatly appreciated - when the snow melts I'll get out there and give it some deep breaths and "shoulder rolls".  Thanks again - really appreciated.  Cheers, Chris. 

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

Don't think ...

... I had a chance to get above 40 on my Mod 2, so do a test in Nottingham.

(There was a short section of national speed limit but the derestriction sign from the preceding 30 limit was hidden in the undergrowth among a whole bunch of signs by a level crossing; didn't receive any faults for dawdling along that bit of country lane, where 60 would have been a bit dodgy anyway). Otherwise, what feels bloody terrifying at first gradually comes to feel just a bit annoying, so you'll likely be fine by the time you get to it anyway.

Reply to this Topic
greeningc

Jul 12

greeningc says:

next steps

Dear all,  promised an update. fail I'm afraid but not due to speed!  that was fine - just rolled the shoulders 

, stuck head down and went for it in the gales that were around that day.  just had 2 minors but then made a daft ( and immediate fail) at a junction that had been converted into a one way. I was asked to go right but I sat in right hand part of left lane unaware I was in a one way dual lane - I felt a right prat when he explained it to me as I really didn't se the markings. so my new problem is this - instructor I use locally doesn't have suitable bike for m2 so I'm going to buy one ahead of test and only use it when accompanied by qualified instructor with radio comms.  I did my test on a 600 diversion; I was thinking of a deauville 700 but this is rated A* and I can't work out what the * means. any ideas if this is still in same group as the diversion.  the other alternative is pan European or Yamaha FJR but that's a 1300 so quite a big step up although I naturally won't be caning it based on my previous story!  such fun! all I want to do is ride around! cheers, chris.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
greeningc

Jul 12

greeningc says:

notts here I come

that's a great account - thanks.  Nottingham is an option as I have relatives there to visit as well!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Agh

that's shite to hear. I failed my first test on an indicator.

Afraid I dunno what the * is about but I'm sure someone else will.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle