Skip to content

Ask an Expert Need for "Progressive" Speed Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Need for "Progressive" Speed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

greeningc

Jul 12

greeningc says:

Need for "Progressive" Speed

Dear All,

I am a 45 year old.  I passed my CBT and theory test last year and have just passed my Mod 1 but I have a problem (amongst many too disturbing to detail on the web!) – I struggle getting up to speed – being knocked about above 50mph is really disconcerting for me.

I know this is all about experience and confidence but frankly when I’m out on my bicycle I don’t particularly enjoy fast downhills due to "wind".  But I really enjoy being out on the bike (motorised and pedal based).

I think I am going to struggle with mod2 when it comes to zooming up the dual carriageway at 60+ mph to prove that I can “maintain progress”.  I have absolutely no problem with the concept and I know that it isn’t going to change because it doesn’t suit me; so what advice please on getting that speed up?

My personal view is:

·         Get a very faired and screened up bike for the mod2 – but all the training schools in the area lack these bikes to train on.

·         Buy a suitable bike ahead of mod2 – am I likely to get insurance?

I know I sound like an old granny but any views / advice would be appreciated, I’m keen to “progress”.  I have been taking my YBR out and trying to increase speed gradually but I think it will only get me so far.

Cheers, Chris

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 January 2013 18:08)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Unlucky

With that test mate, least you know you can do it though!

Where did you read that A* rating? My best guess would be that it signifys a bike that isn't suitable for the A2 test as it's too powerful to conform with the restriction rules. This is only a guess though!

Reply to this Topic
greeningc

Jul 12

greeningc says:

Category A*

Dear All, thanks for the ongoing support - greatly appreciated.  I did a bit mor rooting around about the A* category and      http://www.dft.gov.uk/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list      Category A

This is a motorcycle without a side car that must:

• be at least 595cc
  • have a power output of at least 40kw (53.6bhp)

Changes to category A from 2018

From the end of 2018:

• the power output will change to at least 50 kW
  • a minimum kerb weight of 180 kg will apply

Machines affected by this change in minimum power are shown as A*. These machines will not be able to be used for test from the end of 2018.

This change is still subject to EU approval.

So, it looks like a Deauville 700 is fine until 2018 - if I don't get a licence by that date there is a serious problem :laugh: Cheers, Chris

Reply to this Topic
greeningc

Jul 12

greeningc says:

A Pass!

Dear All,

I promised to keep you updated and I'm very pleased to say that I passed my mod2 this morning.  I bought a Honda Deauville 700 last week and the windscreen has helped significantly.  Had a lot of rain today and that was kept at bay as well.  I'm very happy about this but more I wanted to thanks all those posters who took the time to offer support and advice - it is greatly appreciated and has definately helped.  I know it's just the start of learning to be proficient and some extra training will also help to build up confidence etc.

Best wishes, Chris.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

WaHey!

Well done & Happy Riding :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Well done!