You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Honda xr125 startup problems

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

Honda xr125 startup problems

Hello guys basically my xr has decided to stop starting up recently - I've had similar problems with it in the past but now it's becoming a real problem as my bike will simply not start on the button anymore I thought at first it was definitely just a battery problem because it really doesn't get ridden a lot, but after the bike needing to be bump started and then cutting out after about a mile when I stopped at the lights I decided to take it for a ride to give the battery a little boost. I gave it a good 10-12 mile ride to just make sure it at least had enough juice to get started and get me to work the next day but it didn't help at all the battery still seemed completely flat and the starter just made a rattling noise as if it had no juice left, so I've given it a few more miles and tried to keep it running more and more and it doesn't seem to be improving at all. When I tried to start it to get to work yesterday it had nothing and at times actually didn't even respond to me pushing the button at all (made absolutely no noise or anything) so i'm wondering what the problem could actually be - it is important to note that once the bike has been started it only needs the normal amount of time before it will tick over fine and it will not cut out or anything and runs with no problems, however when I stopped yesterday (after I had been riding fine for 10 minutes) and put my bike in the garage I straight away tried to start it up again and it still wouldn't start.

Any help if greatly appreciated, thank you.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 January 2013 16:21)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

battery

Have you got a multimeter? What is the battery voltage with the engine turned off? and what is the battery voltage when you press the start button? You really want 12.6 minimum for the first reading, and any less than about 10 volts for the second reading means the battery is fecked. Have you checked the electrolyte level in the battery??

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

xr problems

Also you need to check what the reg/rec is charging at. Put a multi meter across the battery while the engine is running. It should show 14 volts. If it goes above that when you rev it, then the reg/rec is fecked.

Reply to this Topic
Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

multimeter

I haven't actually got a multimeter at the moment but I ordered one earlier, is there anything I can do until then like bump start the bike and leave it ticking over to charge the battery or something? Also no I haven't checked the electrolyte level is that the level of the liquid inside the battery?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

electrolyte

If the battery has screw-on tops, you can top up the level to make sure it's above the plates. Preferably, use distilled water, but if you live in an area where you have "soft" tap water, that'll do. But if the battery is duff, no amount of charging will fix it, and get it to hold a charge. Have you got a mate with a multimeter? who can test the battery and charging system??

Reply to this Topic
Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

multimeter

I'm still waiting for my multimeter to arrive but when it does hopefully i'll be a lot closer to finding the problem. 

I think if I need a new battery i'll order this which seems reasonably priced the only problem I face is fitting it, I don't have a battery charger but like other types of batteries is it not going to need to be charged for 24 hours or whatever before fitting it or does it just go straight in?

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

charging

It will need charging before you use it, and you should really use a bike battery charger... only because a car battery charger tends to charge at a much higher rate than a small bike battery can stand. You won't need to spend a fortune on a charger, just something that'll push out half an amp (at 14 volts) will be fine.A SMALL car battery charger, as long as it can go very low, (up to about 4 amp minimum output) will get you out of trouble, but DON'T use it too often, or for very long...... half an hour max.  

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

As fogie says,you can even buy cheaper crap batteries,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=ytx%205l-bs&_sop=15

Ask for a written guarantee on these,providing your multi/meter says yours is naff.

Reply to this Topic
Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

Battery

Right so do you think this would do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/4-Amp-12V-Battery-Charger/dp/B000OQ9B1E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358563602&sr=8-2 

I still haven't been able to make an progress as now that i've got the multimeter it's decided to snow so I didn't fancy trying to bump start my bike with ice about, but if that charger will do the job i'll probably just order than as i'm going to need it regardless of if my battery needs charging or I need a whole new battery.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices