Skip to content

Discuss This True or false? Electrically heated clothing is for wimps General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > True or false? Electrically heated clothing is for wimps

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

True or false? Electrically heated clothing is for wimps

There's a long standing debate in the MCN office about heated clothing. While heated grips are seen by most as acceptable, if not a necessity, for winter riding, plug-in clothing brings a different reaction. It's seen by many as a cop out, cheating - the preserve of Goldwing riders and wimps. But some of the office - especially those with long...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 January 2013 10:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Heated clothing

Slow news day MCN? 

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

Goldwing

I ride a wing with no heated grips or heated clothing, we are not all whimps?

Although, it doesn't come out unless it is above 10 degrees lol

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

clothing

have you got a heated clothing review in the archive at all MCN?

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Wrong question

No. Heated clothing is for whoever can be bothered with the extra time putting it on. As a former diving instructor I am well aware of the effects of the cold in terms of physical and mental performance. The colder you are, the less well you can control your body and the worse your decision making skills are. Added to that, small thin people get much colder, much quicker. Or if you are riding a bike without a big fairing like a Goldwing, windchill will be a major factor. So if you need or want heated clothing.. use it. This question should really be turned around: The people who call heated clothing users wimps, are they stupid?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Whats "wimpy" about it?

Anyone riding in the sort of weather that requires heated clothing would be a fool not to at least try it.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Plug and glow!!!

Theres nothing wimpy or funny about hypothermia! Its a fact that concentration slows when you are cold and we need all our wits about us on todays roads. If I had to use my bike for winter transport, I'd buy some tomorrow. A friend of mine has some heated gloves and they are far better than heated grips.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

could be distracting

if it starts raining and your electric clothing starts frying you!!!

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Heated Clothing

Us Geordies swear by it,so mcn, test it & winter tyres.

Reply to this Topic
lany

Aug 02

lany says:

I guess the person who said that would not have a heater in a car either or their home?

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Strange question

Apart from the effectiveness what's the difference between heated grips and heated gloves? They're both designed to stop your hands from getting excessively cold and we all know that very cold hands leads to less dexterity, slower hand speed and so reduced bike control. Heated gloves allow for an effectively smaller glove bulk around your hand and so also aids rider control.

The bulk of full capacity riders choose not to ride through the harshest of winters claiming the cold and slippy road surfaces don't warrant it. Surely it's sensible for those that 'rough it out through winter' (as opposed to those who dive in to their heated cars when it gets a bit nippy) to make themselves more comfortable and safer?

Would you say that those who use cars through poor weather are wimps, cop outs or cheating?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices