Skip to content

Discuss This True or false? Electrically heated clothing is for wimps General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > True or false? Electrically heated clothing is for wimps

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

True or false? Electrically heated clothing is for wimps

There's a long standing debate in the MCN office about heated clothing. While heated grips are seen by most as acceptable, if not a necessity, for winter riding, plug-in clothing brings a different reaction. It's seen by many as a cop out, cheating - the preserve of Goldwing riders and wimps. But some of the office - especially those with long...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 January 2013 10:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

SNEV

All this heated gloves / heated  jackets & boots, double layer warm trousers, all this stuff is for girlie-puffs,,,, when it’s “cold & wet, icy & rain, snowing it down with freezing shitty sleet,

I quickly nip outside and pre-heat my car! Running it for about 5 mins seems to do the trick, I do find it a drag getting the wife out of bed to scrape the frost off this wind shield. Roll on summer and Sunday rides! Like most bikers do.. isn’t that so!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Thomas

How is Kuwait this time of year? !!!!

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

I'm with Snev

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Absolutely Not.

I had a couple of years of long-distance courier work back in the nineties when I was on a career break. I rode thousands of miles in all weathers on a Honda ST1100, including Plymouth to London and back one February (that's 500 miles) leaving home at 2:30am when it was minus six degrees. I was back at 9am. Goodness knows what the wind-chill was at 70mph. I wore a Rukka suit over my leathers and the only other aid was heated grips. If I could have bought a heated undersuit I would have worn one and this is not a wimp talking.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

You're not a wimp?

Well I am.

And I don't use heated clothing.

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

SNEV

AAAHH Kuwait ,, during the day its about 14c dropping to the chilly temps of 5c  in the evening. Haaa

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

@TomRR

I tried that but the wife beat me up and someone nicked the car?

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

heated clothing.

Depends how cold it is and how far you have to ride. Anyone who's ridden a few hundred miles at or below zero will know that any source of heat is welcome. For short winter journeys of say less than half an hour I'd say I wouldn't need any, but anything over that it would be welcome. Losing feeling in the extremities and feeling the onset of hypothermia is not pleasant and is difficult to detect as it creeps up on you unnoticed, like sleep. Bring on the heated aids I say!

Reply to this Topic
Bungle1078

Nov 12

Bungle1078 says:

Most people with this idea do not ride in the cold...

Most people who say "heated kit is a pussy way out" do not ride when its cold. I know so many people who say that even heated grips are not "manly". HAHA

These are the people who only get there pride and joy out in the bright (yet short) summer. They would not dream of riding through the recent floods, the recent cold snap, let alone through snow. I have had the pleasure of all 3 in the last few weeks.

I dont have heated kit, but damn there are times when i think that I should. But 90% of the time my winter gear works a treat. Thermal water proof gloves and a pair if thise gloves that makes your hands look like a ninjas foot! (My wiife calls them my SPECIAL gloves) for those reallycold rides.

If you prefer to be comfortable riding in the cold then buy what you can afford!

But if you want to Not feet the grips, break, clutch etc. then please feel free to do so, but dont tell me that you feel more manly than me! you cant feel shit because you have the first stages of frost bite!

Im just to lazy to organise heated kit! If/when i sit down and decide i need it, im not having second thoughts!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Nostalgia

Back in the 1980’s, I used to warm my gloved hands on the header pipes of my Honda CB400T during winter riding when the pain of the cold got too bad. Of course, that bike had no wind protection or heated grips, and I lacked proper gear also. After a 4 or 5 hour ride, I would be shivering for hours afterwards.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices