Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: New Licences General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: New Licences

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: New Licences

"I turn 17 next month, and want to get my bike licence, but is it really worth doing the A1 motorcycle test for a 125, or should I just stay as a learner until I can take the A2 test at 19? I would like to progress to bigger bikes, and a full unrestricted licence as soon as I can" Your...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 January 2013 10:32)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bolfunga

Aug 07

Bolfunga says:

At your tender age two years is a feckin lifetime ;O) If you can afford it take the test, move up a stage, then move on again at 19. The experience you'll gain over those two years on your 125 will be invaluable. You'll also have more fun. Do it if you can afford it.

Reply to this Topic
WindyMiller75

Sep 11

I wouldn't bother.

If you want to carry pillions, or ride on the motorway, or if you're allergic to L plates then do the A1 test. Otherwise you might as well save your money, get a CBT, a cheap 125 and loads of riding experience.

You could renew your CBT and do a theory test before your 19th birthday, then you can book A2 training + tests for when you turn 19, but an A1 test won't get you to an A2 licence any quicker.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Do the A1

Get yourself a nice cheap secondhand 125 and take the 2 years getting riding

experience and building up some NCD on your insurance.

Both of those will be a massive help to you when you get to ride bigger bikes.

Reply to this Topic
psychoSam

Aug 12

psychoSam says:

I'm getting riding experience, well not in this weather.

Reply to this Topic
Krisrexter

Aug 10

Krisrexter says:

Personally I would do my Cbt buy a 125 ride it until I'm 19 spend my money getting my car licence in the meantime then get my theory and repeat Cbt and a course booked for my 19th then same again for my 21st there done boom cartwheel !

Reply to this Topic
Bootstrap

Sep 12

Bootstrap says:

Depends how much you disliek your learner plates, i personally wanted them off ASAP as no matter what cool 125 you buy it will be ruiend by them. Passing your test should also reduce your insurance. So it all depends on how many lessons your goign to need to pass.

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

Don't Bother!

Get a cheap 125 and ride around for 2 years, maybe take a few lessons to make sure you stay safe,there's no point in doing your test unless you want rid of the L plates. This is exactly the reason why the new licensing system is ridiculous. It discourages young riders from getting the proper training they need to stay safe and a lot of riders that are 19 and under will only have the CBT as formal training.

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

CBT

What ive done is my CBT at 17 then just keeping that for two years then doing my A2 to save money on lessons, extra tests and to get more experience before doing my test.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Move to Iowa

Then you can take your test on an old borrowed Honda Aero (Melody), and legally ride off on a Kawasaki ZX-14R (ZZR1400).

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

FOR HIRE...

Honda Melody .. $150 per day  excluding Insurance, call Snev Hire Somewhere close to the " Real World"...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices