Skip to content

Discuss This MCN's Michael Neeves rode to Africa on a sportsbike, and to Ibiza on a naked bike - but what would you have ridden? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN's Michael Neeves rode to Africa on a sportsbike, and to Ibiza on a naked bike - but what would you have ridden?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

MCN's Michael Neeves rode to Africa on a sportsbike, and to Ibiza on a naked bike - but what would you have ridden?

Our senior road tester Michael Neeves has done a lot of miles this year - he's ridden to Ibiza for a summer holiday, and even to Africa, just to prove he could! But Neevesy's choice of bike wasn't always conventional. He rode his long term test Ducati 848 Streetfighter to Ibiza, while the Africa trip was done on a Ducati Panigale...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 January 2013 10:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Comfort zones

If you wanted to be completely comfortable travelling to Africa, you wouldn't be riding a bike. You'd be flying, or driving a nice, expensive car. I've done a lot of "adventure touring" and straight touring in my time and yes I have my preferences for the type of bike to use, but many people wouldn't choose a 650 single to go tens of thousands of miles either. Often I've just gone on the bike that's available. I've met (or been) people going long distances on 125's, commuters, cruisers, tourers, little and large sports and adventure bikes - all having a blast. Whichever bike you go one, your body will adapt over time anyway. You don't have to have the perfect bike and you don't need an adventure touring bike for a rough road. Me? I like adventure bikes cos I'm big and don't want to go faster than than a ton anyway.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Why are adventure bikes not on the list?

Reply to this Topic
trig78

Aug 11

trig78 says:

R1

...that's what I have and use for all rides.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

You don't go all that way to find good roads only to take your boring commute bike or your dad bike (adventure bike)        ............you want to take your sportsbike or your nutty naked and have a giggle.

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

Versys 650.  But another point....in what way does riding a motorbike to Africa qualify you as a genius?  Does that make Nick Sanders riding an R1 around the world the most intelligent man alive?

If he'd designed and built a hybrid, or hydrogen fuel cell or electric or diesel or even a petrol bike and did this to prove a point, then he'd be a.....rather good engineer.  If it was electric and did it on one charge, then he'd be a genius!

And he's not mad either, doing a round the world trip on a V8 powered unicycle is mad.

Reply to this Topic
englishuser

Jul 07

englishuser says:

I've ridden to Africa on a Suzuki TL1000S and rode to croatia and Italy last summer on my S1000RR, would do more of it if I could afford to, its not clever or difficult.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

If I had his job....

I wouldn't care what bike I rode !

Reply to this Topic
mickra

May 08

mickra says:

Agreed Snev

Aren't all bikes basically 2 wheels joined by some sort of frame. I can ride 'em all then' with a little effort. Money is all that stops me going further and wider, not the machine. Was gonna blast down to Valencia for the last motoGP for a laugh until Google maps pointed out the fuel costs (alone) for a return trip of over 2,000 miles.... £300 quid! madre mia!! You don't know how lucky you are you MCN 'Testers', but you're beginning to come across like Mr Superior bloody Jeremy Clarkson, sneering at us poor bikers and rubbing our poor downtrodden noses in your fantastical adventures..........Lucky gits.....giza job. By the way.....Ibiza? ....it's a poxy island! what did you go on? a bleedin' Jetski?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Twist-and-Go

My Honda Elite (Lead) 110, of course.  May ride it to Deadhorse (North Slope of Alaska) some day, just for sh**s and giggles.

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

C90

Not matter where you go you can get spares?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices