Skip to content

Discuss This New BMW R1200GS Test - What Do you Want To Know? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > New BMW R1200GS Test - What Do you Want To Know?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New BMW R1200GS Test - What Do you Want To Know?

This week our intrepid road tester Chad jets off to South Africa for the launch of BMW's all-new R1200GS super-traillie. With stiff competition from KTM this year, BMW have strove to out-do themselves (and the opposition), with a new air/water cooled engine making 125bhp, new chassis and new semi-active electronic suspension. What do you want to know about the bike? Ask us...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 January 2013 15:52)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GavT

Jan 05

GavT says:

Seat & Final Drive?

Hi Chad... As a long term owner of two GS’s (Standard & Adventure), one of the major problems I’ve had with the original bikes is the seat profile which frankly after a hundred miles become instruments of torture. Many fellow GS owners have to spend their hard earned on a more comfortable custom seat because BMW just can’t create a decent perch. What we are looking for is a broader width to the back of the seat, tapering to a narrow profile to the front allowing easy foot down when stationary and more lateral support across the bum. So... is the new GS more comfortable? Another issue has been ‘final drive failures’, a well documented problem which BMW had to update the internals five times through the production lifecycle. The final GS has an FD breather to combat pressure build up in hot conditions which otherwise pop the outer seal allowing water ingress and loss of gear oil. So... Mr BMW engineer, what have you done to address this problem? Generally, BMW need to improve their reliability. Many Thanks Gavin T.

Reply to this Topic
trannie680

Jun 09

trannie680 says:

good vibrations

Hi Chad, I too would like to know how bmw have improved the seat, if at all. I put a kahedo on my adv. because the standard seat was terrible ! I also worry about final drive failure now the warranty has expired. What have they done to address this? Also the mirrors are useless over about 90, can't see whats creeping up behind the vibration is so bad.  Thanks for all your efforts, Garry.

Reply to this Topic
ishvara

Feb 05

ishvara says:

BM vs KTM

Does it perform anywhere near KTM 990 Adv?

Offroad??

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

The seat

comfort issue was resolved, for me, by setting the adjustment with the front on its high setting, and the rear on its low setting. Completely transformed the long distance comfort.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I've had no reliability issues with either of my Adventures over 4 years.

I would like to know if there will be an Adventure version of the new bike.

Also, how good is the semi-active suspension?

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Seat

With all the comments below about seat comfort, would BMW consider an "Air Seat" optional extra. If it could be inflated/deflated to order, all the better.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

will it still turn normal bikers in too bmw snobs lol :)

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

will they fit a lower seat at normal ?

Reply to this Topic
Mistafunky

Oct 11

Mistafunky says:

ABS

Can you turn the ABS off so you can do stoppies?

Reply to this Topic
Luckyloonie

Jan 13

Luckyloonie says:

Cooling system failure.

I understand the bike will be 65% air cooled and 35% water cooled. If the water cooling system springs a leak will the motorcycle still have sufficient air cooling to get you home?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Nodding

Would I be able to ignore all other bikers other than BMWs

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle