Skip to content

Discuss This New BMW R1200GS Test - What Do you Want To Know? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > New BMW R1200GS Test - What Do you Want To Know?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New BMW R1200GS Test - What Do you Want To Know?

This week our intrepid road tester Chad jets off to South Africa for the launch of BMW's all-new R1200GS super-traillie. With stiff competition from KTM this year, BMW have strove to out-do themselves (and the opposition), with a new air/water cooled engine making 125bhp, new chassis and new semi-active electronic suspension. What do you want to know about the bike? Ask us...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 January 2013 15:52)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Servicing costs and economy?

For high mileage riders who don't fancy servicing themselves  the new engine promises reduced servicing and may improve economy vs the old model.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I always acknowledge my fellow bikers

Some of you fcukers on here have absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever :winkie:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

I would like to know if BMW are offering a power take off point, to make it a proper tractor? Yarp.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

arhhhhh... frustration

thought of a reply but must refrain....

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

r1stevie , MudDoctor, snev

Yes I am a twat but better to be one on a ktm than an old man’s gs

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

real question.

My old 1150gs could be dropped without damage at low speeds. The 1200 can't. With this new one, if you just get let go of the bike at standstill and let it fall over, does anything break or scrape?

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Just read the rest of the comments

Why the hate?

Reply to this Topic
NULUSIOS

Jan 13

NULUSIOS says:

Indeed...

Too much hate. This is very common with GS. It has people that believe it's the best thing on two wheels (because erm... it is) and the people who hate it. Most of them because they got an alternative, or they had one that broke (well it happens with all brands) usually of the kind that never used it "as intended" (drink the blood out of the thing), or just hate the whole GS concept. Well good for you guys, hope you are happy with your choice. "Titosfuneral" I can testify that you are wrong. Not only my 1200GS has dropped without a scrape, but I have survived with bike having minor scratches TWO cars (40 days apart), on the same cylinder. The first one didn't respect the STOP sign and stopped ON me. I managed to keep upright (stopped 15m away though). His old car? All right front, ruined. Mine? Little scratches on the cylinder and protector. Then 40 days later, again in the city, a police car decided to open the door right when I was passing. My cylinder hit the door NOT open, but on it EDGE! Door? Ruined. Bike? A couple more scratches, same place as the first. Two years later, I haven't even bothered to fix it (it is that inconspicuous). So yes. 1150GS is tough, but rest assured, 1200GS is tough too. Best damn bike I've ever ridden.

Reply to this Topic
NULUSIOS

Jan 13

NULUSIOS says:

What I want answered...

Well a few things. (1) Does it feel "tough"? (2) (this will be answered on local reviews) Real power? Because some mechanics say that 125 (and even 110 and 100?) are "bloat" for this kind of engine and are not really there (I believe this is stupid, but anyway). (3) V-Max? (4) Some say it should be more off-road capable than current model (although a bit heavier). What do you see? (5) Difference in handling? (esp. with new tire dimensions). In general... Basically except what is good, point what is actually better than expected and what is WORSE than expected (esp. if something is not worse than expected but also worse than before!).

Reply to this Topic
Boxer12

Jan 13

Boxer12 says:

The Best Got Better

I've been riding since 1979 (am only 48) and have had many bikes, on my second GS Adventure now, did 135k miles on the first one and so far 18k miles on the current one without any problems, never let me down. I am 5.8" tall and 165lb, have dropped the bike a few time and picked it, no problem. Do I like dealing with bmw shops? No! Do I think some BMW riders have a chip on their shoulder? Yes! Love the bike for what it is, not who riders it ! Oh, I couldn't care less for the badge either :) It is by far the best bike I've ever had.  Ride Safe and be nice!! :)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices