Skip to content

Discuss This Honda CB1100 Launch – First Impressions First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda CB1100 Launch – First Impressions

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Honda CB1100 Launch – First Impressions

Honda’s new CB1100 Retro Roadster is currently being put through its paces in the countryside around Valencia, Spain, by MCN’s Executive Editor, Phil West. These are his first impressions, ahead of a full test report in next week’s MCN. “Honda has certainly done its homework with the new CB1100, the detailing is fabulous, right down to the CB750 look alike taillight...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 January 2013 11:06)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

It's a lovely looking Retro in the flesh and reminds me of the late 70's early 80's nakeds with big smooth engines and " lazy handling" would be great to ride on a balmy summers evening. However I'm not convinced by the  "Novice-friendly" weight.

Reply to this Topic
WIDEGRIP

May 06

WIDEGRIP says:

Honda CB1100 Launch

"It’s never exactly exciting" how can an 1100 not be exciting ? what are you comparing it with, a blade or something ? Being a more mature rider, I wish they would make something similar but with a twin or V triple in it that would pull from low revs have loads of mid range and top out about 120 mph with no more than 750cc capacity, the new 700 isn't far off the mark just lacking a few Horses !! Suzuki did a good job with the SV650, engine but the style leaves something to be desired from an old codger point of view !!

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

Widegrip,

A V triple? Really?

hopefully just finger trouble on the keyboard..................:)

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Mud

yep - the NSR400s from the 1980s were V3s i think...

Baz

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

I dunno, must be getting old, because I really would like either the CB or the new Guzzi California. Both styles appeal to me; all the years of thrashing around like a loon have caught up. I no longer feel the need to "prove myself" to others, been there done that, got the scars to prove it etc.

Besides, biking is all about being an individual, no? Do your own thing your own way, that kind of ethos. Well, looks like my wee beastie may be up for sale soon, a change of pace is on its way.  I've even bought the missus a bra lined with sheepdog fur. Not to keep her fattyclappers warm, more to round them up and point them in the right direction. Toodles!

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

yep...

Yep - though I agree it's not the most common config!

I'm guessing the firing order of a triple negates the benefit from having the engine in a V format - Honda probably built the NSR as a V3 to reduce the engine's size, does anyone out there know for sure??

Manufacturer Honda
Production 1985 - 1987
Engine Liquid cooled 90 degree V-3 two stroke, 387 ccm
Power 72 HP (52.6 kW) @ 9500 rpm
Brakes front: dual disc
rear: single disc
Tires front: 100/90 16
rear: 110/90 17
Wheelbase 1385 mm
Dimensions L 2065 mm
W 720 mm
H 1150 mm

Seat height 790 mm
Weight 163 kg (dry)
183 kg (wet)
Fuel capacity 19 L
Oil capacity 2 L (engine oil capacity)
Fuel consumption 29 km per L at 60 km/h

cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Classy

I like it a lot. Honda have obviously worked hard on this and it shows, right down to the 70's Comstar looking wheels and an engine with fins. Gets my vote.

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

Looks absolutely stunning!! looking forward to a test ride soon :)

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Character comes from..

..within the rider, not from the bike itself. If it did come from the bike everyone would feel more or less the same about all bikes and that's simply not the case. I see the CB1100 as a call back to an era that many older riders hold dear. An era before cruisers and plastic clad sport bikes took over the roads. These were were work horses, they were commuters, and they were tourers. I do think the casual observer with some knowledge of motorcycles will look at these as someone's restoration when seen on the street. Will be interesting to see, I can almost imagine in my mind though having one to ride myself.

Reply to this Topic
rotacyclist

Jun 07

rotacyclist says:

CB1100 launch in Spain

Shouldn't you be on the right hand side of the road?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices