Skip to content

Discuss This Honda CB1100 Launch – First Impressions First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda CB1100 Launch – First Impressions

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Honda CB1100 Launch – First Impressions

Honda’s new CB1100 Retro Roadster is currently being put through its paces in the countryside around Valencia, Spain, by MCN’s Executive Editor, Phil West. These are his first impressions, ahead of a full test report in next week’s MCN. “Honda has certainly done its homework with the new CB1100, the detailing is fabulous, right down to the CB750 look alike taillight...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 January 2013 11:06)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

baz

the NSR400r was agreat bike to ride but sounded awful, it lost out to the  500 Gamma in many  ways .

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

It is almost funny that after years of development we (apparently) hanker after a bike from the 1970's. I just wonder how many owners of the CB1100 will leave it as a standard bike, or will they be fitting fairings and go faster parts?

Don't get me wrong I loved all my old bikes, big Hondas, Kawasakis and a Ducati Darmah among many others but would I want any of them now? The answer's no, at least not to ride. They can stay in the past as happy memories and I'll ride my ZZR1400, thank you.

Now, if Kawasaki were to produce a "new" Z900 I might be interested - but then again is it just nostalgia kicking in?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I have to say it looks to me like one of those grey import bikes that came over in the late 80s/early 90s that were designed for other markets. Other than the style (which I think looks quite bland) I don't know what its bringing to the market that we haven't got with Bandits/Z1000s etc. IMHO!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Bob...

Nostalgia is exactly what it used to be ! but Honda are hopefully better at building the sort of bike that was so popular all those years ago. I actually feel like buying one of these to "compliment"  my other bikes. Who knows, Suzuki may one day build a retro "Busa" for those Nostalgic moments in years to come.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

One minor observation, it would look proper with a 4 into 2 exhaust. Still want one though.........

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

Retro bikes get newer too!

There's a market for retro bikes, especially amongst born-again bikers, and they can't all be into cafe racers any more. Anyone who had kids, for example (forcing them to sell their pride and joy) in the mid-1970's, will be hovering around retirement age now. These guys don't dream about Bonnevilles, they dream about the best bikes of the 1970s. The CB1100, which already has modern(ish) suspension/brakes/tyres will probably stay standard in most cases (except for some official Honda accessories which will inevitably follow if the bike takes off), as it looks the part but is already a much better bike than you could buy in the 1970s. Plus it's something to plug the gap between sportsbikes and cruisers if you're not in either camp.

I don't even mean to reinforce the idea that the CB1100 is an old man's bike, either. I'm only just the wrong side of 30 and I wouldn't mind one myself. But then I already feel a bit nostalgic every time I see a nice Mk1 Bandit!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I'm getting all excited now....

How about a retro CBX1000 six or a CX500 "Maggot", RD350LC, kawasaki 750H1, Suzuki GS1000S. All with todays standards of build quality and reliability. Ahh those were the days.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Nearly

Nice try Honda, but a bigger seat and shaft drive would have made all the difference.

Reply to this Topic
100milesaway

Mar 09

100milesaway says:

Just like all of the latest Honda offerings this one makes me yawn.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Honda CB1100 is much better

than a Harley-Davidson in every way, and cost thousands of dollars (or pounds less). And H-D sells nearly a quarter-million of their functionally obsolete bikes a year.

I do not need a Honda CB1100, but I want one.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices