You are in... Forums > General > General > Hi-Viz - misconceptions explored

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Hi-Viz - misconceptions explored

Interesting article in the Guardian about some people's misconceptions about Hi-Viz garb. Good read if you've got a spare 5-10 minutes!

Topic is regarding cycling but the main bulk of it regards motorbikes.

Thoughts?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 January 2013 12:14)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

I don' t wear

nor have I ever worn hi viz on a bike. In over 30 years all my offs have been my own fault. My v strom is grey and the kit is black. I think the twin headlights placed quite high in the front of the bike help with my visibility. The blackbird is blue, kit as before. Thankfully still no problem being seen.

I asked a copper on a bikesafe day if I could fit flashing l.e.d. lights to increase my visibility and was told it was illegal if they flashed. A mate has static ones on his tiger and they 're the only light I can pick out in the mirror when he' s behind me. I' d fit l.e.d. before wearing hi viz.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I wear

hiviz and some bastard still cut across two lanes right in front of me causing me to swerve and brake - he looked at me as a beeped within an inch of his car.

Blind twat.

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Florescent

I'm just practical about it and don’t mind admitting a complete bloody coward on a bike if something happens the sure as eggs are eggs I am off into the wild-blue-yonder faster than you can say viffer. If I wear my favourite leather jacket then I will usually use a high Viz running jacket over the top because the leather has vents in the front and on anything other than a roasting hot day I will freeze my tits & arms off. So for the most part I use a high viz but I do not rely on the 'hi viz effect' but at the same time it can't harm matters. The written article is inconclusive as it should be because if it was conclusive some French twat would insist we all wore one. More importantly than hiz viz is road positioning if the numpty can’t see you then you are dead-meat, so always think for the other numpties around you and that way you cannot be caught out too easily.    

Have fun.

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Awesome comment:

"For one thing it's a nuanced argument, something I believe is actually illegal on some parts of the internet."
:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Haven't read the article yet

so bookmarking it for tomorrow when i have more time.

20 years ago hi-viz was a rare thing, pretty much only the 3 services wore it, so my experience wearing it (which i had to for my job as an instructor) was generally a good thing, people thought you were a copper and slowed down, let you pass and were aware of you being there, this i believe was more to do with fear of arrest than anything else.

Now Hi-viz is everywear, thats it effect has been dwindled and as such i would argue its actually more dangerous wearing it now bacause no matter the amount of high viz , lights on , flag waving approach to being seen helps one iota if the Barstools don't look in the first place.

making us wear them would be another case of making the victim pay for the crime and actually make it MORE dangerous to ride with than without!

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Good Find

Have always questioned the propaganda of Hi-Viz, always told pupils I was teaching it just made them a Brighter Target!!:blink:

Your road awareness & forward planning are what keep you safe (that & a healthy dose of paranoia!!)

Also feel it gives a false sense of security, with which you may feel you can take more risks, i.e. the safer you feel the further you push things before you reach what you feel to be your limit.

That said one of my most used jackets is a Hi-Viz one!  

Happy Riding:smile 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices