Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati confident in old bike strategy MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati confident in old bike strategy

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati confident in old bike strategy

Ducati is confident its surprise strategy to kick off preparations for 2013 using an old version of its factory Desmosedici machine is the right approach to help it threaten Honda and Yamaha’s domination of MotoGP in the future. Although the bike unveiled by Nicky Hayden and Andrea Dovizioso in the Madonna di Campiglio ski resort is badged a GP13, it is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 January 2013 13:43)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Eh?

"Ducati has resisted the temptation to make radical changes to bridge the gap to Honda and Yamaha"

There's a bloke goes in our local who's resisted the temptation to get a job for ages... we all thought he was just a lazy git but this puts a whole new spin on it.

"We see big potential with the current bike and we still have to tap into all of its potential"

That's one in the eye for Rossi... so much for being sad to see him go... but really?

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Old Ducati.

There was an interesting Burgess interview quoted in Performance Bikes Nov 2012,

“This bike is still a frame wrapped around an engine, rather than an engine designed to go in a frame. We need new crankcases because we can’t keep raising the engine because then the countershaft sprocket gets higher and higher which affects the swingarm pivot and thus handling. You’d think we would’ve had new ’cases by Le Mans, but here we are at the ninth race with the same bike we had at the first tests.”
"If a Japanese company had the same results of Rossi and Hayden, it would be building a new frame in a week."

“There’s lots of other little things. The Honda gets a jump on us out of the corners because it’s smoother and the Yamaha is another step better. They’ve got primary and secondary injectors, while we’ve only got single injectors.”

Burgess did say the electronics had come a long way and overall the bike had good potential but his frustration at the lack of response from Ducati (also voiced by Stoner) was plain.

If it’s true that Ducati is sticking with the old bike strategy it’s depressing for riders and fans alike. For a road-bike manufacturer which trades strongly on its racing heritage it seems very short-sighted. Presumably the Audi money hasn’t arrived yet; or will Audi just pilfer what they need (like the aforementioned electronics) and spit out the rest?

Reply to this Topic
Sheene Fan7

Mar 03

Sheene Fan7 says:

Old Ducati old results

Reply to this Topic
eddl

Dec 10

eddl says:

Baldrick says, i have cunning plan m'lord

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

hedgehog5

You made me laugh........ cheers!

Reply to this Topic
leegee010

Sep 09

leegee010 says:

Fascinating...

I don't know about anyone else, but as a true fan of MotoGP I find the technical differences of the Ducati and the Jap bikes fascinating... Even if the engineering behind the Duke is wrong!

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Wow

St. Bernhard has the answers, 'I know, we can adjust the springs', the geometry, will be altered after the new Ducati boys start chucking that dog straight into the kitty litter, that'll definitely shorten the wheelbase. The whole thing's a farce, Audi are not spending any cash, because Ducati are clueless on what to do with it, so they'll give it the new kids to play with for a few races, Ducati are now a joke.

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

Old bike ?

Well what a waste of time & effort, I bet Rossi & burgess are laughing all the way back to Yamaha . Ducati lack direction & organisation , & to bring back prezziosi says it all

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Nice pleasant photo..

I wonder if Gobshite asked Ducati's new #1 what the fuck he was doing not testing at Jerez, but racing a supermoto a few hours later?

Reply to this Topic
eddl

Dec 10

eddl says:

What new bike are ducati supposed to roll out then ? and with which riders input and direction? I don't blame them far better to let the new blood have a go and get some fresh info as the way to go, no point building a bike for a rider whose not there is it!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices