Skip to content

Discuss This No quick fix to help make Ducati competitive MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > No quick fix to help make Ducati competitive

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

No quick fix to help make Ducati competitive

The journey to return Ducati to winning ways in MotoGP will be a long one, with new race boss Bernhard Gobmeier admitting no miracle cure exists to help the Bologna factory end its winless streak in the premier class world championship. Gobmeier, who replaced ousted Filippo Preziosi as head of Ducati’s MotoGP project in 2013, said the forthcoming season will be...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 January 2013 18:55)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Blood...

"He tried and failed, no shame in the that. "

When I read this I thought "yeah I like that"... but then I remember how vocal he was about how Stoner wasn't really trying... no shame in it but he has very publicly made himself look a bit of a prat.

"He just gave a full spread interview in MCN complaining about Rossi complaining all season."

... & now you're complaining about him complaining about Rossi complaining... & so the hypocrisy continues... people have been complaining about him complaining for years but he's not allowed to... time to give it a rest? We're all whingers or none of us are.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

BB

He just gave a full spread interview in MCN complaining about Rossi complaining all season, then complained how he could have done more with more support, then deriding Lorenzo for bagging points when he wasn't able to fight for the win.

That's not exactly how the interview went though was it.

There was one sentence talking about Rossi moaning and it was used to illustrate that other riders get criticised for moaning but Rossi didn't. You make it sound as though the whole interview concentrated on that one aspect. It's not an interview dedicated to slagging off Rossi. The only thing I'd disagree with is when he says Rossi had no competition in his early championships. I'd hope that was just a badly worded way of saying the competiton wasn't as stroong then as it was from 2007.

He was asked why he thought he had success on the bike when no-one else did. The answer was interesting. He said it was because he rode with pride, didn't want the bike to beat him in other words and he worked hard at figuring out how to ride it, how it needed to be ridden. He concedes it wasn't always easy to get it set up right but mentions that others wouldn't do that and wanted the bike changed competely to suit them. Of Rossi, he says he was too confident and assumed he would be able to ride it to success with just a few set up tweaks. When he and Burgess found they couldn't do that they wanted to change it into an M1 - you can't argue with that can you?

Deriding Lorenzo  -  are you really suggesting he is doing that? He's just giving a different perspective of what some people ride for. He rides for wins, Lorenzo was happy to forsake them to accumulate points for the title. Just illustrating two different approaches to racing, surely?

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Lacystacey

Remind me, 2 titles from Stoner, thought he was biger than MotoGP, didn't do well on the Honda & jacks it at 26 to go fishhing in a hole, some committed racer I don't think. You don't think 9 world championship titles counts for anything because VR46 has got them, and he's back for another, and you don't like it, you pussy

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Corny?

" didn't do well on the Honda "

He won a title on it... ? :blink:

"jacks it at 26 to go fishhing"

27 to go car racing... ? :blink:

... not very good at this are you?

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Quote from the above by Gobmeier

He says - ''What is very clear from the analysis of the last weeks is that we have to work on all technical entities of the bike like the engine, electronics, chassis and aerodynamics.''  That only leaves the wheels then! .  It surely indicates a new bike needed!  He then says   ''There is no big breakthrough and it will all be little steps to improve the bike. We are pretty firm and confident that the potential is there.''  Contradiction in terms or what ?

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Hog5

He was 26 when he announced his retirement to go fishing in a hole, regarding Honda I refer to his final season, he would not have stood a chance of winning the title last year, and he knew it. He's out and he's history, that's fact.

PS. I didn't know they'd presented him with a 'tile' had he got a leak in his roof then lol.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Gobshite

is very focussed and has a clear direction on what he's going to do, once he can make up his mind. Him overlooking the wheels could be his mistake, as I fear they will need to be able to withstand numerous off track excursions, throughout the season.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Cornbowl

he would not have stood a chance of winning the title last year, and he knew it. He's out and he's history, that's fact.

You're very definitive, pretty much final, with your opinions but what is that one based upon?

Up to Indy, there was a points gap of one race win covering all three. Lorenzo had won 5, Stoner 4 and Pedrosa only 1. In practise and qualifying several riders got caught out by the same piece of track, this time, Stoner was one of the unlucky ones that picked up an injury bad enough to finish his season.

The previous race at Laguna, he won in what looked like a fairly comfortable fashion. So what do you see prior to the crash at Indy that suggested that he would not have stood a chance of winning the title? Do you believe he wouldn't have won another race other than PI?

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Corny...

"regarding Honda I refer to his final season"

You didn't (you actually referred to 2 titles neither of which were in his last year) but ok... in 2012 he won 1 less race than the championship winner & came 3rd with enough points to actually have won the 2006 WC despite being out through injury... have I got anything wrong there?... any spelling mistakes?... enough points to win a championship is bad is it?

"He was 26 when he announced his retirement to go fishing in a hole"

You can say you're going to retire at 65 when you're 20... doesn't mean you retired at 20 does it?... errr... no... & did he say he was going fishing or car racing? So he's actually only retired from MotoGP... not from racing... not much of a retirement eh?

:blink:

... so apart from spelling Title wrong nothing I said there was incorrect... whereas you obviously have.

"He's out and he's history, that's fact."

Yay... you got something right! You seem to want to make his memory live on though... this story isn't about Stoner... I don't mind talking about him, but you seem to love it... give up trashing him with made up crap & move on 'cos every time you do it makes him sound better.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Bultoboy

From the unfortunate 'off'  that Stoner had, he was unlucky to sustain such a nasty injury, but that sealed his fate for the season, exactly the same as Rossi's broken leg did which gave Lorenzo his first championship. That was enough for Stoner, and he had already decided to bail out of MotoGP anyway, so he finished his career with two titles.

Rossi could have finished his career under the same circumstances, with 9 world titles, yet he came back, made a error of judgement, taking that two year deal on the Ducati, he could have retired then, but now he's put himself back under the spotlight, on the M1. That's the difference between Stoner and Rossi.  

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices