Skip to content

Ask an Expert I want a bike that'll do everything Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > I want a bike that'll do everything

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

henrynorton

Jan 13

henrynorton says:

I want a bike that'll do everything

Hello, I've just registered on the forum and am looking forward to getting some enlightenment on modern bikes. I used to run a T120 Bonneville but am now in the process of selling it as I need something I can take across France occasionally, ride through traffic to work and have fun scratching around the countryside at weekends. I like fairly upright bikes like the Triumph Tiger 900 but it's quite top heavy and I also quite like the Yamaha TDM 850 but wondered if there's anything else out there for under 3k???

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 January 2013 15:52)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

if you feel brave

Try one of the older Multistrada's. problem with older Ducati's is reliablity though.

KTM's a worth a look, never owned one so don't know much about them!

Reply to this Topic
henrynorton

Jan 13

henrynorton says:

Meriden Triumph and brave go hand in hand but...

Thanks diablere, yes I like the look of the Multistrada (and KTM's) but could I even stretch to either with my budget?

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Certainly

i've seen 1000ds multistradas on e-bay for less than £3000!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Bandit

How about a Suzuki Bandit 1200. I had a 600 and did everything on it, touring, scratching, commuting, drag racing, track days and even some light green laning (when I got lost on the Isle Of Man)

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

SV1000S

Great bike, excellent VFM big twin.

Sprint 1050 - great triple.

Honda VFR or Bandit if you want 4-cycl.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Upright bikes under 3K.

You should get quite a nice Kawasaki Er6F (twin) for under 3K. Mine was for sale 3/4 years ago for £2200. Its no tourer since the seat is quite thin. Its pretty much a smaller, prettier TDM 850/900 but with a smaller tank.
I wouldn't normally recommend a Honda CB600 (Hornet) (4 cylinder) for going anywhere because they are usually quite small and uncomfortable (although they are  real exciting bikes for fun riding) but if you you previously used a Bonnie for that maybe its okay (since a bonnie is remarkably small)!
Yamaha Fazer (4 cylinder) FZ6 (600cc) and FZ1 (1000cc) are available at under that price range. The FZ1 is a real nice luxury bike that is also pretty quick.
Moto Guzzis are quite nice as long as you get one newer than about 2004 they tend to be quite reliable. The 1100/1200 Breva (86BHP) is a good naked tourer. The 750 breva is tiny (and only Bonnie Power levels 50 BHP) but is often available cheap. Most of the others will be too expensive I guess...
You would be able to get a Honda Deauville NT650V (V twin) which would do the touring real easy. The later models are probably beyond your budget. However you might find it a bit big for town work. Might be worth looking at particularly if you don't want to rediscover your mad adolescent days...
Suzuki Bandits (4 cylinders) come in 2 sizes (600/650 & 1100/1200). The S Version would be a better bet as it has a half fairing to keep the rain off.  worth a look as a budget bike with touring capability (particularly a bigger one).
The Honda CBF600S and SA are a 4 cylinder 600 with an upright riding position and fairing. A bit bland but nice. The CBF1000 is quite a bit nicer but might not be in your budget.
BMWs tend to hold their value unless they are very old and high mileage. You probably would be able to get an R1100S etc (twin) but it will have a fair age...

Reply to this Topic
henrynorton

Jan 13

henrynorton says:

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for all the ideas - the question ended up in MCN this week and they recommended a TDM. I tried a CBF1000 a while back but it was a bit too, well.... 'Honda' for my liking. Tried a Bandit too but ended up preferring the GSX650 stood next to it! Still like the idea of a Multistrada though - just reliable enough but needing a bit of attention from time to time.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Everything

You will compromise on something. A tourer will be too big to exploit a lot of filtering opportunities for commuting and the bikes good for commuting often have small tanks.

Whatever you get, you'll end up looking at modifications or extra kit.

So where do you want to compromise? Range can be sorted by taking extra fuel but the smaller bike will suffer from poorer weather protection so you'll end up looking at a screen and possibly comfier rear suspension.

Larger bikes would be better for the touring but you'll have to be prepared to take a little longer getting to work depending on how you have to filter and the sizes of gaps you generally face.

I think you have to consider which sort of bike you want - something more useful every day but more limited in touring or vice versa. After that you can look at weekend fun depending on what class you choose.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices