Skip to content

Discuss This Dorna moves to cap price of World Superbike machinery World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Dorna moves to cap price of World Superbike machinery

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Dorna moves to cap price of World Superbike machinery

Dorna’s crusade to drive down costs in MotoGP will be mirrored in World Superbikes, with a price cap on machinery certain to be introduced for 2014. Now that Dorna controls both MotoGP and World Superbikes, CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta is spearheading a cost-cutting drive in both to counter the on-going impact of the global financial crisis. The Spaniard is also keen to return...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 January 2013 10:23)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
simplebystander

Oct 10

I always find it strange that their is a perception that WSB is encroaching on MotoGP and not the other way around. With perhaps the exception of the increase in electronic tech, I have always felt that the 750s of years gone by were more prototype, being limited production run homologation specials rather than the more common 1000s we have today - so I already believe WSB machines are as production based as they ever were. If anything I think MotoGP has become more like a WSB machine, being comparatively heavy 4-stroke 1000s rather than the super light 2-stroke 500s of yore. Whilst I do appreciate the reasoning for capping costs - it's just such a shame to lose some of the 'trickness' associated with these bikes.

Reply to this Topic
Chris Kam

Feb 08

Chris Kam says:

And so it begins!

As soon as I heard that Ezpeleta (sorry Dorna) had taken control of the World Superbike series, my gut reaction was that he would dumb down the bikes and slowly turn the class into a second rate championship so that the elite Moto GP class could take all the limelight and accolades, it looks like I was right!

For years the racing in WSBK has been closer and IMO far more exciting than Moto GP, not to mention the WSBK classes ability to put more teams and bikes on the grid than you can shake a stick at. As we all know grid numbers is a particular area where in recent years the Moto GP class has struggled, hence the CRT laughing stock. As far as I’m concerned this "cutting cost" gimmick is just a smoke screen, WSBK's are lapping as quick and at some tracks quicker than his prototypes and Mr Ezpeleta surely won’t allow that! Its MOTO GP that is broken not WSBKS so here's an old saying that rings true here “Don’t fix what isn’t broken!”

Reply to this Topic
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

Good stuff

I know I'm not going to be popular here for saying this, but I fully back what Ezpeleta is trying to do with WSBK. I want to know from watching a race who makes the best sports bike for the roads. Right now WSBK machines have basically nothing in common with their road-going counterparts, which is kinda pointless. According to Steve Parrish a factory WSBK costs about £1m to put on a track, which when you consider is meant to be based on a road bike, is a bit silly.

In the long run, forcing the manufacturers to severely cut costs will lead to us getting better bikes from the local showroom, as they will be genuinely related to their track siblings.

Reply to this Topic
Chris Kam

Feb 08

Chris Kam says:

ColonelClaw?

ColonelClaw, they have classes such as World Super Stock to find out "who makes the best sports bike for the roads" so its no argument realy! Leave it as it is :-) 

Reply to this Topic
Sheene Fan7

Mar 03

Sheene Fan7 says:

it should be back to how it was meant to be in the beginning

a road bike tuned to race, not how most do it now, build a race spec bike then dumb it down for the road

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

notice the pic

had to be ducati because in all series they have w3asted the most money in development and with least results, wsbk will always be the more value for money class and always has been, he can cut waht rules he like but the racing with 2 every meeting will always be better value and with superbikes coming with all the toys in the box from factory it wont have a massive impact as you would think. am i right?

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

notice the pic

had to be ducati because in all series they have w3asted the most money in development and with least results, wsbk will always be the more value for money class and always has been, he can cut waht rules he like but the racing with 2 every meeting will always be better value and with superbikes coming with all the toys in the box from factory it wont have a massive impact as you would think. am i right?

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

Destroyer

Why mess with a series that has just produced some of the closest most exciting racing seen for many years and has been at the forfront of developing the best and most reliable sports bikes the world has known. Dorna is doing what I thought they would and are out to destroy WSB so their pathetic MOTOGP series will they stagger on. If I want to watch production bike racing I can watch superstock. The whole sorry episode of Dorna operating both series stinks   

Reply to this Topic
vtwinmark

Aug 10

vtwinmark says:

Its clear that Dorna are trying to enforce a clear performance margin between MotoGP and WSBK. But rather than relax the strangling restrictions that will not let the prototypes run the way they would (and shoud), giving them a clear speed and performance differential, they choose to take the lazy soft option of slowing down the superbikes....a big mistake in my opinion.

I am fully aware of the recession and it's implications, but spending a weekend at a world event is an escape from the problems of the world.....I want to see the best & most exotic bikes in the world running as fast as the factories can bloody well make them, bikes that I could never see in the showrooms. As long as the superbikes LOOK like  production bikes, I don't give a shit how much more it cost to build. A 996 Foggy rep cost a fraction of the real thing, but did the buyers really care that it was no factory spec special?

All about escapism and enjoying the spectacle, if only for the weekend....I'll worry about the world on Monday.

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

dumbass

what an dumbass.....first he slows down Motogp with less fuel less engines more weight etc, and after slowing down MotoGP, ofcourse wsbk looks faster, wsbk isn't faster if calimero lets motogp be motogp.!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices