Skip to content

Discuss This Nicky Hayden tips Marc Marquez to shine early MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Nicky Hayden tips Marc Marquez to shine early

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Nicky Hayden tips Marc Marquez to shine early

Factory Ducati rider Nicky Hayden says he expects highly rated rookie Marc Marquez to be competitive immediately when the new MotoGP season kicks off in Qatar in early April. Marquez will replace retired double MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner at Repsol Honda in 2013 and several high profile rivals have tipped the teenager to make an instant impact. The latest is American...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 January 2013 12:17)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Evenin' saturn

No one can dispute the 'Rossi effect' since he's been riding but i personally wonder about the caliber of fan he's attracted in general. They're not MotoGp fans but Rossi fans. Each to their own i guess but it does nothing in the long term. Two of my good friends are fans of Vale but when the Duke ride wasn't going well they were mowing their lawns or going to Homebase on a Sunday.

This tells me all i need to know about the 'majority' of Vales fans from my experience. If they want longevity, Dorna need to get the old fucker off the bike and run his own team. That'll please the masses for the next 20+yrs.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

I can't wait to see Marc Marquez go at it in Moto Gp. One way or the other, this kid is gonna ruffle some feathers. This could be a great seizon. Don't forget Stefan Bradl is getting full Hrc support as well. And no one can tell me Audi will take Ducati failure lying down. I reckon Cal and Bradley will get more than decent bikes from Yamaha, after all Yamaha knows that every point taken from Honda is valuable. Still my money would be on Dani. He was verry good last half of the seizon, and it is his last chance. Dani knows that, all he needs is an injury free year.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

As for Nicky expecting MM to shine early..........................don't we all?

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

carlos

My money is on Dani too. A fit Dani is a fast Dani. I'm just hoping he'll stay fit for 2 consecutive seasons!

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Pacey

are you saying that you are judging the 'majority' of VR's fans by the action of a couple of mates who mow their lawns while MotoGP is on ?    Come on buddy  I think you know better than that.  Rossi running his own team ? Now that would be a fun outfit!!!  Say what you like about VR being a clown but he's very serious about his racing.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

saturn

are you saying that you are judging the 'majority' of VR's fans by the action of a couple of mates who mow their lawns while MotoGP is on ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No bud. Also by the viewing figures that dip massively both on TV and at any given circuit when he doesn't start or crashes. His popularity is unquestionable. But will he leave a legacy? Should he not, then all he brought to the sport was fly-by-night fans (in the main) for a while.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Pacey

I understand what you're saying ... however if VR leaves no legacy then who else will ?  and if no-one does then what does that say about MotoGP ?  Each decade throws up a memorable character or two ... 1950's - Duke and Surtees ... 1960's Hailwood, Agostini ... 1970's  Agostini, Sheene, Roberts ... 1980s Spencer,  Lawson ...  1990's Doohan, Rainey, Schwantz and ... 2000's  Rossi who won WC's in 7 of those 10 years  apart from AGO nobody else has done that in nearly 40 years.   I rest my case and will make no further comment.     Good luck to Marquez ... MotoGP needs to be roughed up a bit.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

I guess i am one of the few race fans that doesn't like or dislike Rossi. I agree,with Pacey, sure there are lots of Rossi fans that don't have a clue about bike racing. Then again if it weren't for Rossi. We might not even get to see Moto Gp at all. The good thing about this seizon is, there are no excuses for any rider. J-Lo and Rossi are on equal bikes and so are MM and Dani. So it's game on, i have no favorite rider this,seizon. Oh well yes i do Nori Haga in Endurance Racing? Damn my her should quit!

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Saturn

I really don't know what you're trying to say here.

He brought MotoGp to the masses and did more to promote the sport than anyone since Barry Sheene.

What is it that he did specifically to promote Motogp? He has self-promoted and made himself a big name (nothing wrong with that) and the knock on affect of his popularity has earned Motogp promoters a considerable amount of money. But there is a stark difference between serving and promoting your sport and self-promotion for your own gain.

I've said it before, Pacey has said it below and I'll say it again. Rossi has not brought Motogp to the masses. He has attracted a certain type of fan that latched onto his antics and who feel superior to other fans because they "support" the champion. If they truly followed Motogp, then interest in Motogp would be primary, a favourite rider to follow would be secondary.

These people he "introduced" to Motogp have no real interest in it. They followed his success. When that dwindles they disappear - the figures demonstrate that - none more so than at Mugello 2011 when they left early in droves (mentioned also on TV by commentators) when it was clear there would be no Rossi / Ducati win. No support for the other two Italian riders in the race, one of whom nearly won it with the other challenging for the podium until a few laps from the end. No interest in what was a closely fought race right to the line involving one of their own.

They're like the Manchester United fans who latch onto the club whilst the success is there, rather than someone with a genuine interest in football itself who will go and watch any match they can each week for the enjoyment of it, whether it is an amateur match in the local park or a professional match at a local club.

When Rossi's gone, they'll be gone, if he doesn't have success in the first few races this year they'll probably be gone. How you percieve that as promoting or serving the sport I don't know

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Fun & Games..

Thank the good Lord for Valentino..

Can you imagine how entertaining MotoGP would be without him?..because that's what it is, Entertainment.

It has to compete in a market place for exposure against other sport. If it wasn't on free-to-view and with the advent of the internet, hardcore fans like me and you would find a way to get our fix..quite possibly delayed/recorded though.

I get pissed if Eurosport don't stick to their scheduling and miss a friday practice, or if the BBC bump it for darts and snooker. We take it for granted nowadays but 20/30 years ago, even hardcore fans had trouble outside of their home GP. Many of us refer to this period as a Golden Era, some fantastic action with terrific racers who are legends within the sport..swathes of it MISSED. I still pull stuff off youtube that I haven't seen before. It's a lot easier today.

Rossi's charisma has gone a long way towards establishing bike racing as mainstream-ish. Most of us love a naughty lad, twinkle in the eye and a cheeky smile. It also helps that he seems to have been involved in 90% of the best racing, a commodity that with technology dominating and the geeks ruling, is most definitely not what it used to be.

Sorry..but whacking off watching Stoner all alone riding in 1000fps clips - his computer controlled bike sipping gas, barely out of line - just don't do it for me. But hey..let's go to a Nostro/Bulto party. Free orange hankies at the door to clear the jizz up. No Strongbow or drugs.

Valentino's antics, both on and off track, have raised the profile and brought money in to replace the sponsorship void left by tobacco companies. There's a reason why FIAT & Petronas left Yamaha and Monster have paid to raise their products profile..it's the same reason Generali, Enel & Diesel won't be seen on the Ducati this year.

Star quality my friends..and with respect to the likes of Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa they are just not in the same class. The jury is out on Marquez.

Rossi and his fans like to have fun and enjoy themselves and to me..it always seems to be the flat cap & whippet dullards, jealous of his flair and popularity who knock him.

Sad fuckers. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices