Skip to content

Discuss This Nicky Hayden tips Marc Marquez to shine early MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Nicky Hayden tips Marc Marquez to shine early

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Nicky Hayden tips Marc Marquez to shine early

Factory Ducati rider Nicky Hayden says he expects highly rated rookie Marc Marquez to be competitive immediately when the new MotoGP season kicks off in Qatar in early April. Marquez will replace retired double MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner at Repsol Honda in 2013 and several high profile rivals have tipped the teenager to make an instant impact. The latest is American...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 January 2013 12:17)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TheHoleshot

Oct 12

TheHoleshot says:

Computer controlled bike? Wheels barely out of line? http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=qpWsDROVvuI

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Not again

Can you imagine how entertaining MotoGP would be without him?

Yes, as it was and as it will be

The racing was being shown live back in the 90s along with WSB, long before Rossi entered the 500 class, so please don't attribute live coverage to Rossi - pathetic. Live coverage now is confined to the BBC when they can be bothered to show it on BBC2 otherwise it's on the red button. Eurosport can only show delayed coverage and sometimes that is still a few hours later if a bigger sport is being screened.

I didn't dispute how big a name Rossi was did I? As usual you don't respond to what is written, you see what you want to and trot out your standard response. Again another schoolboy level reference to Stoner.

The point is, Rossi is heralded as a rider who has introduced a whole new audience to Motogp, without whom it would crumble. Rossi introduced no-one to Motogp through direct promotion for the good of the sport. They are his followers and a by-product of his success. When did he ever undertake unpaid, self-driven Motogp promotional duties in order to garner interest from a new hitherto uninterested audience. If he does that following his retirement from racing then you can say he has introduced Motogp to a wider audience. Until then, keep it real. Your assumption that we wouldn't have live coverage nowadays if Rossi wasn't around is pure assumption, based upon the need to drive your own argument and you obsession with one rider.

Marquez will generate new interest in the racing this year but probably from an existing 'fanbase'. I doubt very much he will be as big a name as Rossi outside of the sport and therefore won't drag in fans who will be personal supporters rather than people who just enjoy watching racing, some of whom choose one of the existing riders to follow during that riders era.

But similarly, unlike the Manchester United fans, they won't disappear when the success stops either will they, leaving the real long term supporters of bike racing to continue watching each coming era.

As for Rossi bringing sponsorship back to Yamaha, they were his own personal sponsor, they didn't step in to sponsor Yamaha. Bu they didn't want their sponsored rider up against Lorenzo who was sponsored by a rival as they were worried that their rival would get more coverage. They had little choice but to fork out did they, from a commercial viewpoint. Monster are global and sponsor god knows hown many sportsmen / women

As for star quality, the paltry £1m pales into significance when you look at Rory Mcilroy's 150m deal with Nike doesn't it. That's star quality and global recognition - obscene though it is.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Wosi you're forgetting it's a different world now..

Rossi appeared at a time when electronics on these bikes were in their infancy. The class he was up against were no where near the league the top boys are at now. That's not to diminish his achievements in anyway, he was a phenomenon and he shone very brightly, and in many ways I would agree with your suggestion he heightened MotoGP's profile considerably. But the game has moved on, and the likes of Pedrosa and Lorenzo ( whether you like them or not ) are the new flag bearers of the sport. Stoner was the antithesis to Rossi's early career and is seen by some as the reason the sport lacked character. But he was just the new breed of motorcycle racer, doing things on the bikes that no one else could, Rossi included - winning races from the front and leaving everyone in his wake. He could scrap it out with the best of them when it was demanded of him ( Catalunya 07 for example ) and was every bit as thrilling as Rossi in his prime. I asked this question before and was met with a stony silence by the 46'ers - what thrill has Rossi given us in the last 5 seasons, apart from Catalunya 09 and possibly Laguna in 08 that other rider's haven't?...Different times..

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

tips from hayden!

if you can't talk positive about your self or the brand your riding for then yes the only thing to say is how good another rider could be. Say it hayden. Marq is better then the whole duc factory. even if has no experience at all. is that what you are saying. YES! only now duc must have 1000cc in wsbk and thiere so called racing experience would die instant with no victory's at all anymore. please do so ducati so we can all whitness you were cheating sinds the first race wsbk existed

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

MM

if you can't talk positive about your self or the brand your riding for then yes the only thing to say is how good another rider could be.

What are you on?  Hayden has been asked for his opinion on Marquez and he's given it, that's all.

Marquez's performances in Motogp will be interesting without a doubt. He's shown he's fast and a tough racer in Moto2 but for me, there are still question marks over how good his bike was in comparison to the rest. The straight line speed alone looked superior, several times and judging by the speed he passed other bikes when he started from the back of the grid. In the two wet races I watched, he was nowhere, comparitively speaking. In Malaysia he was way off the front and eventually crashed out, so he was pushing. Valencia was the same until the dry line appeared, but on the wet track he was off the pace again.

At Honda, we can at least be sure (or as sure as we can...) that he will have a Honda the same as Pedrosa's, possibly Bradl's and that Lorenzo / Rossi will also be on similar performing bikes - Tech3 maybe as well at the start of the season. So at least there will be other riders with comparable machinery which will remove any suggestion of machine advantage this time.

It will be interesting and I can't wait for the first paint swapping episode with Lorenzo, who, although prepared to do it, definitely doesn't like that sort of behaviour.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Hi Bulto

I said I would make no further comment on the Rossi phenomenon but out of respect I will  briefly try and answer your question.  Like it or not - same as all other sports MotoGp is a personality sport  the vast majority of fans have their favourites who they want to win. Every so often a flamboyant character emerges who by their very nature like Sheene and Rossi bring their sport to the attention of otherwise uninterested parties. Their promotion is obviously not direct -it's their personalities. Look at the abysmal attendance of MotoGP in this country in the 90's during the Doohan era ( who was an outstanding rider but zero personality). During this period we had Fogarty in WSB who had a massive bad-boy personality.    120,000 spectators to see Fogarty at Brands  against  30,000 spectators at Donington to see Doohan.  It speaks for itself.   As a comparison as you quote football - look at Usaine Bolt - Mr personality of the 100 metres - how many hundreds of thousands of otherwise uninterested spectator has he attracted to athletics ?   Are you really saying Bulto that as a die-hard fan - at the drop of the flag - you don't really care who wins ? I think you do.   I have been a die-hard fan for more than 50 years - they come and go and Rossi will be gone soon  but everyone has their favourites.   Thanks for the discussion rather than trading insults.  Ciao !!!  

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Softlads..

Bulto..

What's all this, "When did he ever undertake unpaid, self-driven Motogp promotional duties in order to garner interest from a new hitherto uninterested audience.."

What..MotoGP is a fkin charity now? he's at work. Do you go to work for now't? Keep it real you fruitcake.

And CHR..

The races you mention were about the only decent races since 800. One or two others maybe..Sepang 2010, Motegi 2010, Jerez 2011..haha.

Another thing..The old chestnut that Biaggi and Gibernau were no where near the league the top boys are at now..is pure Stoner fanboy tripe. Who the fk says so..you? haha..

Biaggi won his first race on a 500 and had the great Mick Doohan worried on the all conquering Repsol NSR.

Gibernau rode that RCV a lot better than Stoner..when it didn't have all the talent levelling electronics that bailed him out. Funny how he went from 8th in 2006, or a cock hair from 10th just in front of Elias who won a race that year, to champ the next? Mareli was his biggest friend. He stopped crashing because he wasn't in charge of the throttle.

Stoner would have retired injured on a 500. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Saturn

I accept Rossi's pulling power, it's not under question

But some are using it in the context as though he actually goes out and actively promotes the sport and brings in a new audience - again, the insinuation is that other riders don't/can't do this when the fact is, none of them do. All they want to do is race and win. Rossi was different in that he also seeks public and media attention much more than the rest, some of whom would rather shun it. I don't dispute he may have pulled in aadditional fans because of the way he is, and gained allegiance from some already watching Motogp, but as I said, the benefit to Motogp is a by product. You're saying the same thing here

Their promotion is obviously not direct -it's their personalities

My only issue is that the above is irrelevant in terms of how they should be rated as racers. That is what happens on the track, not how they undertake promotional duties or perform in press conferences.

If Motogp needs a 'charachter' to survive then it is a sport that doesn't deserve mainstream coverage as that is turning it inot a show about that character, not a motorcycle race for the fastest riders in the world. What happens when the star moves on - manufacture another one. It's not for me.

Are you really saying Bulto that as a die-hard fan - at the drop of the flag - you don't really care who wins ? I think you do.

Not sure about die-hard fan...  I'd rather be out competing myself, so a die-hard competitor each weekend yes, until I can no longer get on a bike, die-hard fan - well, I could live without it.

I liked to see Stoner win because of the way he rides, no denial there, I liked to see Gibernau win because of his Bulto connection, although he was a bit fragile of temperament for me, a bit highly strung, McCoy because of his slide it riding style, but it wasn't the be all and end all if they didn't. Just a shrug of the shoulders and on with my own life. This year, I have no interest in who wins it. Cal is the best British hope but there is something in his attitude I can't take to - yet. He comes across as flippant and a touch of arrogance in interviews and probably says too much, but that could just be akwardness in front of the camera. It would be good to see him have some success but realistically, a win in unusual circumstances is probably his best bet. Of the rest, I can honestly say no, I don't care, I could even put up with Rossi winning it if it was achieved fairly...

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

What..MotoGP is a fkin charity now? he's at work. Do you go to work for now't? Keep it real you fruitcake.

I am keeping it real - this is the insinuation from some quarters as what he does do. When he's at work he's trying to win races and works on his act of keeping himself in the public eye - that is self promotion, not cone for the 'good of Motogp' - for the umpteenth time, that is a by-product and a short term one that will disappear with him

Gibernau rode that RCV a lot better than Stoner..when it didn't have all the talent levelling electronics that bailed him out. Funny how he went from 8th in 2006, or a cock hair from 10th just in front of Elias who won a race that year, to champ the next? Mareli was his biggest friend. He stopped crashing because he wasn't in charge of the throttle.

Stoner would have retired injured on a 500.

That is pure and pathetic desperation and you know full well it is total bollocks. You also know that Burgess was glad when Rossi joined Honda on the 500 because he used 'all the toys' that Doohan told them to leave off the bike. Burgess' own words, not mine

Keep it real pal, you just made yourself look a dick again with that.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Keep it real pal, you just made yourself look a dick again with that..

Haha..that makes two of us then Pal.

Total bollocks?..The contention JL, DP & CS are in a completely different league, which by extension intimates Biaggi and Gibbers were shit and Rossi had it easy, is completely subjective and another baseless orange fanboy pre-supposition.

Rider aids do exactly what they say on the tin..and all three of them have been riding the big class getting some serious help. Just because the likes of CHR & your good self believe otherwise and they would have smoked Biaggi etc. doesn't make it so.

What makes you think Dani, who smoked Casey and had more wins than Jorge this year, would have out performed Biaggi on a 500?..and Gibernau DID ride an RCV 990 better than Stoner.

The desperation to prove Casey was better than Rossi comes from you Sunshine. Rossi's record speaks for itself. He hasn't fucked off disillusoned & whining in his prime and lives to fight another day.

Stoner bottled out to keep his sanity intact, afraid of a head-to head with Rossi, Marquez & the rest.

No need to take last year's disappointment out on the real fans. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices