Skip to content

Ask an Expert Top Box vs Saddle Bags Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Top Box vs Saddle Bags

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

McCabage

Aug 12

McCabage says:

Top Box vs Saddle Bags

Hey all, which one is better for all round riding [UK, Manchester mainly] 

Waterproof is a must really,which one is better value for money [generally] and which is more secure [guessing top box] 

Looking for what to put on my Ninja 250r [09 black] when I get it ... next autumn :dopeyhmmmm:

cheers 
sean

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 January 2013 22:56)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Topbox for me everytime

Not cool or gonna add cred but waterproof an more importantly, secure. I've had one - the same actually - on my last 4 bikes. That's a Thundrcat, BMW R1100 rs, z750 s and KTM 950sm. That's a total of 250,000 miles, not bad for 60 quid!!! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

As tc

really, top box = value(you'll need a rack) security and waterproof.

Waterproof throw over's like Ortlieb cost more not as secure but easy to remove, cooler:sunglasses: and don't need a rack.

So horses for courses then.:smile

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Luggage

A top box is secure, convenient and makes like Givi will be very well made and waterproof.  They are not cheap but the advantage is that is can be transferered to your next bike with just the addition of a fitting kit for your mew machine.  The disadvantage is that is puts weight up high and beyond the back wheel. 

Saddle bags, as in the soft variety put the weight lower down but are not secure.  You'll need to make some provision to ensure that they do not scratch your paintwork and you will need to ensure that are securely attached to your bike so that they do not move when you are riding.   

For light loads over short journeys many find a rucksack ideal for the job.  Of course, that can't be left on the bike when you park up.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Saddlebags

I hate topboxes cus' they make you look like you're delivering pizzas or body parts!

They are probably more practical but not necessarily more waterproof. Most saddlebags come with rain covers but some Kreiger bags are completely waterproof anyway. I've just bought some Cameron Barker panniers and they are completely waterproof, semi-hard rolltop closure and they work great. I've been riding with them for two weeks and even gave them a hose test, they are also HUGE! Can fit a lot more in them than you expect. Top boxes are not always waterproof, a couple of mates have top boxes and both of them leak when the weather turns really nasty.

Saddlebags are not as secure as topboxes but look nicer on a sportier bike so it depends on what you'll be using them for and how often?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices