Skip to content

Ask an Expert Heated Grips? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Heated Grips?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

Heated Grips?

I went to view a bike in London this morning in these Freezing Conditions.  :shock:

I am hopefully going to be test riding it next week.  It will still be very cold then :shock:.  If I decide to buy it I'm thinking of asking for heated grips to be fitted.  How do they work...  Can you switch them on in winter and turn them off when the weather warms up or do you have to have them removed when you don't need them and then re-fit them again in Winter?

If you do need to remove and re-fit grips perhaps heated gloves would be a better option because then you can just use them when you need them and unheated gloves when you don't?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 January 2013 16:01)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

heated grips

:shock::shock:

You can turn them on & off at will. You can even vary the heat too. Get a decent make (Oxford)...

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

heated grips

Don't worry, heated grips have an on/off switch, so no problem there.  :biggrin: Also, as well as heated grips, you can also buy hot grips,.. basically a heated wrap that just wraps around your original grips. I have heated grips on my Kwak ZZR1200, and also fitted them to my last bike, Duke 900ss, and wouldn't  be without them. 

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Aye

heated grips, wouldn't leave home without them in winter, got them on both bikes and both are Oxford sport grips.

The new ones have 5 heat settings and much easier to use with gloves on than the earlier models..

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

Thankyou

Thankyou I will try and find some then and probably ask for them to be fitted :-D

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Ask for Oxford

Rather than cheaper crap. My mate got some for £30 but they only had two heat sweattings (yeah I spelt that right - "very hot" and "even hotter") and lasted two weeks.

My standard Oxford grips have been on the bike for 4 months and I wouldn't be without them. 4 heat settings with a logical progression of heat (light to take the chill off on cold spring/summer mornings/evenings - hot enough to keep riding through this "cold snap").

Brilliant bit of kit and yes you can turn them off!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

There are

a few versions: 

factory fitted - all neat and tidy with a nice integrated switch but bloody expensive.

heated grip add ons - DIY job so can end up looking messy and you have to be careful to not foul levers, etc. If unsure you can pay a garage to fit em but it could be a couple of hours labour.

hot grips - these wrap around as mentioned above. They did have a habit of disintegrating although they may now be tougher. The best use of these is in oxford muffs, where they have a pouch to slot into (unwrapped so they're laid flat in the pouch). They go in the top where the cold is mostly coming from and heat up your muff. Excellent idea.

As above, Oxford grips are very well made and havea  few versions. Light version is for bikes with small generator output and small batteries.

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

OF698 for 125cc mbike

OF698 it is then by the look of it :-)

Reply to this Topic
burty633

Aug 10

burty633 says:

heated grips

i have symtec  heated grips, which are heating elements similar to the ones fitted behind mirrors etc, originally designed for snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
these fit under standard grips ,have two settings and once fitted almost undetectable apart from the wires.
absolutely brilliant especially on my gsxr where i like the race looks
and ive replaced a set of renthal grips without damage to elements. try that with anything else,,
only £45 off ebay as well
all my mates have them now, well chuffed

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle