You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > poor running at low speeds

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wally34

Dec 11

wally34 says:

poor running at low speeds

Ihave a zzr1100c1 and recently cleaned carbs and replaced air filter.Last month the bike started o.k. and pulled o.k. but on deceleration it started to sound as if it was missing a cylinder and the revs fell when coming to a standstill.It all cleared up on return journey home from work but after 10 miles it started to backfire on deceleration.Could anyone offer any ideas please.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 January 2013 20:29)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

backfire

Very difficult this one,the spark plugs will tell all but a ball ache to check,are you talking exhaust noises or spitting back through the carbs? Is there a smell of fuel around the carbs/end of exhausts? Is the exhaust system airtight and are the down pipes the same temp (don`t burn yourself).Did the carb slides lift all together  and return slowly? When were the valve clearances last checked? What colour is your fridge? (that`s a smidget joke):lol:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki ZZR 11OO C1

Hi Wally34

At this moment with the info given it sounds like its fouling a plug,this could be due to one carb being out of whack ie to rich,to weak,or an electrical fault like say H.T.lead plug cap,or maybe a split vacuum pipe to a carb?Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
wally34

Dec 11

wally34 says:

poor running

Jaffa the noise is definately coming out of rear and i would be almost certain it is the left exhaust.No unusual smells carbs were all balanced.What about carb float bowls,brother in law suggested draining them in case there is any water in there .Have not checked spark plugs yet Kcmc ,what should i be looking for?:doubt:Valve clearences not checked but would this lead to the backfiring and lowering of the revs? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

carb

Water? You`ve cleaned the carbs,no harm having a look.

Does/did all the carb slides return slowly after lifting them up slowly?

It`s possible you have one carb overfilling (needle valve) and giving a rich mixture and excess unburned fuel firing in the exhaust system.(spark plug will tell all).

It`s possible your valve clearances can tighten up when the engine warms/heats up.

Have you checked the colour/level of your engine oil and coolant?

Going back to the water is your overflow pipe working/blocked just in case water is getting into the tank cap?

For now.     

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi wally34

I have to ask why you decided to originally remove and clean the carbs?

What if anything was replaced whilst the carbs were off the engine?

How did the jets get cleaned (was wire used to clear / clean them).

What settings were adjusted if any?

When was the last service done on the bike?

Reply to this Topic
wally34

Dec 11

wally34 says:

poor running

Carbs were removed as i bought bike without any service history and the same problem was occurring with revs dropping etc .Will check all the above and post an analysis when iget her into the garage.Another theory is when i checked the overflow pipe on fuel cap i found it was bunged at both ends with black sealant,tried to remove it from overflow but i know there is some left in there,what would this do to the running of the bike.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

poor running

Overflow as my last post,your tank should have a breather pipe as well so fuel can get out of the tank.

Have you run the bike in a dark garage to see if there`s any sparks flying about above the engine?

I hope that your header/down pipes are sealed.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi wally34

blocked overflow pipe will mean that any spilt fuel will vacate the area anyway it can, it should not effect the engines running.

As you are not aware of the bikes past service history then your best course of action is to carry out a full service. Whilst doing this you will have the chance to inspect all pipes leads wiring connections earth points, etc.

This will eliminate all the basic engine settings from the equation.

Do this first and then see what happens.

Reply to this Topic
wally34

Dec 11

wally34 says:

poor running

:smilethat s the best advice and the most sensible thanks for everybodys input will keep you all posted

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices