Skip to content

Ask an Expert Suitable first sports bike? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Suitable first sports bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

KevyL

Jan 13

KevyL says:

Suitable first sports bike?

Hey guys, first post on here. I passed my test on Friday (18 Jan) just before the new law came in. I am a total noob when it comes to biking and my only real experience aside from lessons is when i rented a 125 for a weekend.

That being said, I want to buy a 600cc sports bike. I was hoping for something around year 2000 and not spending anymore than 16/1700 on it, due to being told that most riders drop their first bike in the first year. I will mainly be riding to and from work (a 25 mile each way motorway journey).

Would anyone know a suitable bike and a rough insurance price on it?  I've just turned 27 and have no NCB built up. I have had my own car insurance fully comp and with 8 years NCB but i'm sure this won't benefit me any when it comes to insuring a bike.
Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 January 2013 19:22)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

SV650

you know it makes sense!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I'm

a similar age to you and with my NCB of 4 or 5 years it'll be £600ish for insurance. There's a button at the top of the page that says motorcycle insurance. Use that. I'd be surprised if it's cheap.

CBR600F - an old one, not the new model.
SV650 as above is a good choice, too.

Bennetts might take your car NCB into account. Or it might be Carole Nash, Try both of their websites as well.

Also you WILL get tired on a sports bike on a 25 mile motorway run. Your wrists will ache as may your back. Sports bikes are not designed to take you long, straight distances in comfort so read some reviews very very carefully. You're stuck with this choice for a year unless you have monies to burn.

EDIT: Also a 600cc has a LOT of power and compared to your 125cc is a monster. This is why the insurance is so high - they are potentially very dangerous if you're not relaxed and comfortable on a motorcycle. The example I always use is this - if you're tense and gripping on for dear life and hit a pothole, that jolt will easily be transferred into the throttle which would do nothing on a 125. On a 600 it could easily propel you off-line and into an accident. You need to be very careful with this choice but also, for motorway work 600cc makes sense. That said, the 250cc Ninja will do the speed required so maybe consider that should the insurance be too high. Just be very, VERY careful.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

First bike

With little or no experience a sports bike is not the best choice as your first machine.  Not only will you end up paying through the nose for insurance but sports bikes, by their very nature, take a lot of riding to get the best out of them.  As a novice you will learn far more about riding on something less demanding. Then, in couple of years when you have built up some experience and NCB, you can move onto a sports machine. 

Bikes like the ER6, Fazer 600, SV650 and similar will give you all the thrills of decent performance and handling and will do a lot for you in terms of developing you riding skills.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
KevyL

Jan 13

KevyL says:

Cheers

Thanks lads for the helpful replies, trying to do as much research as I can before I buy. Will have a look at the suggested bikes, and try and get some reviews on them before I commit to anything.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

There's nothing wrong with sports bikes

25 mile each way commute is easy on a sports bike. 

Insurance is as dependant on where you live and whether you have a garage as much as your age.
If you want a sports bike, buy one. Then do the IAM and book yourself on a few track days to learn how to get the best out of it safely.

Remember, the throttle works both ways. I'm assuming that as you're considering a 600 sports bike you did DAS and so have ridden a bike bigger than a 125.

Reply to this Topic
coupe312

Oct 05

coupe312 says:

luck and judgement

All depend on you personally i went DAS, FZ6  ZX6r, 1000rr over a 5 year period. 

The fz6 let me do a few silly thing that either of the other bike would have caused a off.
The FZ6 has a de tunned R6 engine so has plenty of grunt, but is forgiving enough for silly mistakes.

a few of my mate have other 600 bandits, older fazers and even on had a zx7r which quickly changed to a sv 650 after a few close ones.

take your time learn your skills

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices