You are in... Forums > General > General > Schools,

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Reynard

Oct 10

Reynard says:

Schools,

why is that once again there are over 4000 schools closed.? Took a 3 mile drive through untreated narrow country roads covered in snow and ice into the local town, and guess what?, all the shops are open. So why not the schools? Do school staff reside in some parallel universe to the rest of us, or is just another excuse to have a 'jolly' at everyones expense?..

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 January 2013 12:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

Schools

School staff reside in a world where litigation from unemployable benefit scroungers would sue them if little wayne or waynetta fell over on their way to school in the snow.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

@Darkrapture

+1

Also, a class with only 7 kids in is a total nightmare. The school is suppsoed to use the time to educate them, but there is no point if you have to repeat the lesson again when the rest return.

There are only so many DVDs, etc, that you can show to fill in the time, and don't forget the kids will get an entire day of this.

And to all those who cropped up on The Wirght Show and Jeremy Vine the other day: Schools are there to provide an education for your children in line with the curriculum. They are not there to give you free day-care for your kids so you can go to work.

Reply to this Topic
Reynard

Oct 10

Reynard says:

Are

these the same children who play out in the snow all day without harm, yet a short walk to school proves far more dangerous? And as for free day care, it's good job we do have work bearing in mind it's our taxes that pay the teachers wages. Have a 'jolly' at my work place and no pay simple as that.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

why

were schools hardly ever closed in my day (the 70's) ??.....because if you fell over on snow or ice and hurt yourself, tough, you were an idiot, get over it!  Today, trip and break something at school....sue, where there's blame, there's a claim, sue,were you hurt in accident that wasn't your fault?, sue, SUE !!..........:mellow:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

simples....

the kids have to live within a certain radius of a particular school to qualify for a place...teachers however can live miles away...hence the first flakes of snow that fall.'Schools out'.....though they do like to trot out the 'health and safety is paramount' line.Of course in Scandinavia they don't give a f*** about the kids.:mad:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

never did us any

harm, we were jettisoned out of the house shortly after 8 in the morning, walked to school, yes walked even at 5 years old, and were not allowed back in the house until school threw us out at 3.30, home for tea, then out for as long as we possibly could be playing in the snow ,no matter how deep or cold it was, the kids of todayare far too pampered and soft.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

I gave....

4 people a lift who were walking to Town this morning (I needed some ballast in the back). Postman, 2 ladies who worked in a cafe and a shop,and a bloke who didn't say,but I'm 100% certain he wasn't a teacher.:tongue:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

i dont ever

recall being off school due to bad weather, and we had some bloody memorable snowfalls when i was at junior school in the early sixties.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Responses

Teachers don't get to decide if the school is closed, the Head/Principal does. In my experience, their decision has nothing to do with staff inconvnience, but with parental response.

Some parents will demand their precious bundle is restored to the house on sight of the first snowflake and will whoosh by in the 4x4 with the bubblewrap for the journey back home. Other parents will demand the school will stay open regardless of any weather conditions. Others yet would love to send their kids to you and wait to sue because they tripped and fell  / got a snowball to the eye / got cold and caught a cold. They'll get an out of court settlement via injurylawyers4profit, and the school will get a bollocking for losing budget money on such payouts [the LEA won't fight, they never do anything to defend a school or teacher who is even accused of anything; regardless of the truth].

You're the head - what's your call?

Why is it that kids can play in the snow, but not go to school? Who you gonna sue if your kid falls off their sledge?

Why were schools open in the 70s, but not now? How many of you got the bus (school not public) or got driven to school in the 70s? How's about now? What is the school supposed to do if the bus company says no service today [even if public busses are running]? Or if parent's won't drive their kids in?

Reynard...taxes might pay my salary, but I'd imagine your salary wouldn't be up to much if there wasn't a state education system.

And if people insist of the flase compare of schools with private business, let's torture the metaphor. Schools provide education as a product. It is consumed by children who spend taxation money to get it. Is there any point in keeping a business open for the day when there is no chance of it actually doing any trading that day (and a chance of employees or browsing shoppers suing if there is a health and safety violation discovered)? If the business lacks the staff (teachers), and the stock (teachable lessons), and the consumers (students) to actually do the trading....WHY is it open?!?

And don't lecture me about techaer being paid during snow-days; anyone on an annual salary receives pay for the days in which a business is closed. Teachers do a massive amount of out-of-hours work just to meet the basic requirements of the job; this doesn't count as overtime. Clock watching is a very quick way to kill any ambition of having a state education system that actually does any educating.

BTW, my college has remained open. Yesterday there were 95% or so of staff in and under 8% of students in. A total waste of time for the staff and students who showed up.

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Schools for profit

'All the shops are open, so why not the schools?'

If Mr Gove gets his way, the schools will be open just like the shops. And your taxes will be going to make the rich richer and our children poorer. Schools are always an easy target for the 'my taxes' brigade. It's not school staff that engineered the change in attitudes towards child protection since the sixties and seventies. It's us, parents and our parents before.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices