You are in... Forums > General > General > Schools,

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Reynard

Oct 10

Reynard says:

Schools,

why is that once again there are over 4000 schools closed.? Took a 3 mile drive through untreated narrow country roads covered in snow and ice into the local town, and guess what?, all the shops are open. So why not the schools? Do school staff reside in some parallel universe to the rest of us, or is just another excuse to have a 'jolly' at everyones expense?..

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 January 2013 12:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Schools for profit

Education is not a measurable. You can't look at one person and say they have 4 educations and another person has 10.

Using grades is a reflection of the student performance; not teaching performance. If qualifications merely reflected the teaching standard of your establishment, what would be the point of them? According to research into this area, competent to spectacular teaching skill variance prompts at best the gain or loss of a single grade by the student. Great teachers do not produce A-grades from the weak, nor poor teachers fail grades from the capable.

Schools need to manage their budgets responsibly; but this is not the same as turning a profit. Where, exactly, would such profit come from?

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

ANichol

'Education is not a measurable. You can't look at one person and say they have 4 educations and another person has 10'

Oh I don't know - there are some folk who post on here who clearly have 0 educations. :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
Dumptruck

Sep 07

Dumptruck says:

Wow!

"Using grades is a reflection of the student performance; not teaching performance. If qualifications merely reflected the teaching standard of your establishment, what would be the point of them? According to research into this area, competent to spectacular teaching skill variance prompts at best the gain or loss of a single grade by the student. Great teachers do not produce A-grades from the weak, nor poor teachers fail grades from the capable."

In that case if teachers don't improve our childrens natural ability then the point of schools must be to look after our kids whilst we are at work?

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Dumptruck

apparently proving Kam's point.

I said competent teaching vs excellent teaching. Not teaching vs no teaching.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

teachers

my wife is  teacher.  I put snow chains on volvo at 7am tuesday morning (used to cold coming from brecon beacons and being in army stationed in canada) got about 1.5 miles out of our village, stopped, took snow chains off, bit further on, lorry jacknifed with bus behind him, couldn't go anywhere du to recovery and police etc..had 10 month old in car, 2 yrd old daughter and eldest daughter (10).  turned around as was told recovery would take about 2-3 hrs.  by the time it was cleared it was about 2pm.  my wife got docked a days pay.  was i pissed off, yes i bloody was.  I made every effort to get her there and was stopped by an accident..no way around it as the back lanes were only passable with a 4 x 4 and even a farmer got stuck in his..

my wife has been at the same school for 13 yrs, only got promoted due to politics before her old boss left..

she is there to teach yes, not for people to go out to wrk..it is the parents responsibilities to parent, the teachers educate..(not all the time as some kids are a pain in the arse)..i used to mentor apprentices..some were good, some shocking..it isnt a 9-3 job either, ask my wife later when she is marking/doing resources for her whole dept..until gone 10pm..

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Teachers

I hear what you're saying, but it's not every day that teachers are working past 10pm.   Hardly ever happens, I'd say tbh.   While it is true there is a bit more than 9-3:30 in a teacher's work day (including the lunch hour and breaks),  I doubt they actually put in more graft than the 8-hours (not including lunch) that the rest of us accept without much complaint.

In fact, considering teachers get 1/3rd of the year off on holiday too,  there can hardly be a more whiny profession - not even the police.  Besides which, teachers seem to think they should get medals for simply doing the job - after a fashion - they are being paid for.

Have you come across a September yet, which wasn't full of teachers - fresh from a 6-week holiday - whinging about how hard they've got it, how awful the job is, how they need to strike, how anyone would be mad to work as a teacher, etc. etc.?  Does wonders for recruitment, I bet.

Teachers are world champions when it comes to blaming too.   Blame the parents, blame the kids, blame the curriculum, blame the local authorities, blame the weather, blame the government - good thing teaching personal responsibility isn't part of the programme.

:wink:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

and ther's me thinking....

that schools were 'contracted' to have my kids from 8.45 to 15.15 Monday to Friday.They certainly make a fuss (and threaten you with a fine) if you want to take them out of school for a week to go on Holiday in the 'off season'...It's like the war strategy 'don't shoot to kill, just wound.Then they'll need two more to carry them'.Every time an Head teacher closes a school because they want to stay home,they put a parent off work.:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

looks like the

glasgow gobshite is looking for a scrap with his [non]

witty repartee.

Reply to this Topic
Reynard

Oct 10

Reynard says:

Ok

Mr Nichol here's what l would do;

Before winter once again desends upon merry old England all Heads should write to the parents enclosing a letter that once signed would remove all the rights to sue the school/local authority should any misshap befall their children as a result of foul weather. Any parent who refused would be prosucuted for failing to send their charges to school.This would at one stroke put a stop to the ridicuious culture of claiming for financial awards.

As for payments for not turning up for work, being a shift worker l am not 'salaried' ergo no work no pay. And let me assure you that the local shops that are always open come rain or shine were doing a brisk trade.

Now then Kamchat, a happy new year to you as well:wink:

Will just leave you with this little gem;

"Nothing worth knowing can ever be taught" :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

teaching etc

my wife would beg to differ, she has just sorted out resources fro tomorrow, and she is in a meeting all day on a saturday for no extra pay, as she loves her job.  she was crying on the weekend worried about her yr 11's performances plus other crap.  So if i have a crap day looking after my children, normally i cope, but there are days when i truly want to jump on the zzr and thrash her..but we have different days and marriage is a partnership.  yes she does have 4 week off in the summer, she often goes in to sort out paperwork and classrooms.  anyway I've had kids all day, and trying to do a degree myself so when the children are in school, i can return to the workplace hopefully in engineering.  I was thinking of going into teaching after i graduated, after what i c mrs b do, ...im not so sure...

oh, mrs b just asked..Lunch breaks wtf are they?

break times..wtf are they as you have duties, bus duties or corridor duties..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices