You are in... Forums > General > General > Schools,

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Reynard

Oct 10

Reynard says:

Schools,

why is that once again there are over 4000 schools closed.? Took a 3 mile drive through untreated narrow country roads covered in snow and ice into the local town, and guess what?, all the shops are open. So why not the schools? Do school staff reside in some parallel universe to the rest of us, or is just another excuse to have a 'jolly' at everyones expense?..

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 January 2013 12:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Slow

It seems I have aged you; I was born in 1980. Your comment on student-hating teachers is what lead me down that track. The profession is currently so bombarded with the "poor little angels" concept [albeit, sadly, very true in some cases] that the kid-haters tend not to last very long anymore before they explode in a ball of their own indignation.

I think though, we have comne to the nub of the debate here:

Is teaching cushy? I have worked for private sector jobs and in teaching. Private sector for me was far cushier; I am better at teaching.

Are othger peole treated badly, perhaps worse than teachers? Probably. Does this mean I should accept continued attacks on my proffession and policies to make the job worse? No.

One final point on nurses - a group for which I have much sympathy. They deserve to be paid and treated far better. They don't strike for fear of people dying (and who needs that on their consciece, rightly or wrongly you're gonna feel it). But.....Banks are quite happy to hold us hostage with brinksmanship tactics; perhaps the nursing unions should threaten something similar.

And for the Nth time......Teachers have NO POWER whatsoever over school closures. Sometimes we go on strike, mainly recently because we are getting pay, pensions and conditions alterations depsite the fact that our "business" hasn't suffered during the recession - you don't see the same occuring in private sector companies that are thriving during a recession.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

opportunites

slow learner, anon was me, as mcn site is playing up, i did get a good education thanks.  I joined Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers where I worked on the Challenger 2 tank with the Royal Scots dragoon Guards. so stick that in yer pipe n smoke it..

the offer was firm one due to relevant industrial experience for over 20 years in engineering without my degree, with a degree as a MATURE student, thats what some firms are offering..

I am also involved with apprentices within mechanical engineering, Alstrom and Siemens if you want me to name drop..:smile

As a former soldier, I also show companies who employ me that I am a great asset to them, not just as a job but from all the technical know how that I have picked up since my apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker in my late teens, then went to college to gain moire quals in engineering, joined the army, then worked fro Citroen, HGV driver, worked in two FE colleges in engineering, and as an assessor..now stay at home dad whilst studying for my degree ( I was 40 in Sept).. 

HAve to finish this banter now as I have a Maths assignment to work on and studying to do for my BEng (hons) OU degree..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Beacon

as an ex-soldier, you also show companies that you have the ability to just get on with it rather than complaining like crazy that you'[ve been asked to show up to work on time.

If any of my comments on here have seemed impassioned, it is not just a reaction to the public criticism for my profession for things we have no control over (like school closures for snow); but also because the response to that criticism has resulted in an industry that is now directly failing in its responsibilites to the next generation because it is too obsessed with meeting a largely irrelevant measurement for the criteria of success, and trying to be seen to be meeting this criteria.

Therein lies much of the frustration with the teaching profession - making kids pass exams so we don't get criticised; and by result ensuring they are in no way prepared for later life.

Reply to this Topic
Dumptruck

Sep 07

Dumptruck says:

Dear Mrs B.

I'm afraid I just don't fancy it, I don't like kids, (although i did once think seriously about teaching adult learning) Transversely, if its that bad, you could always try something different.

Beaconsman, if that reply will annoy Mrs B (unintentionally) feel free not to pass it on, no sense spoiling your weekend!

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Timely news story

here

23% of UK schools cannot get even 1 person to gain the AAB grades in "academic" subjects demanded by the top universities.

Only 16 schools managed to get half their students to achieve such grades. None of them are "non-selective" schools.

And for GCSEs - 215 schools cannot get 40% of their students to gain A-C grades in 5 of the 11 subjects they are supposed to do.

No doubt the focus will be on what teachers can do to change this situation. No one asks what the kids could do to change it; thus when they go to work and don't meet their sales targets, their response is "It's not my fault, the company isn't helping me meet my targets".

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Schools now

I recently rediscovered my o-level exam papers in my mum's loft.
I sat with both of my kids and we went through them.  My son (who took A-level maths), understood most of the problems after some thought.  My daughter (passed GCSE maths) thought we were speaking a foreign language.

The day that somebody convinces me that kids these days are not dumbed down from 30 years ago, I will eat my crash-hat!

Pass rates cannot go up year on year without fail.  Some kids do not have academic skills - they need to be taught vocational things.  These are the children that are being let down.  The academic ones will find their own way.

And - in support of teachers... all children should have good manners before they even start school. 

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

I was Born in.....

....1969 and to me it seems as parents today really do fuck up the education of their kids.

Every kid is an angel......Bollocks try watching them when they think your not there.

Parents want to give their kids everything because they had nothing.....in my day this was called spoiling the fuck out of your kid and turning them into littler fuckers.

Litigation today....OK, not the parents fault but, do you have to claim because your kid fell over...no you don't

Schools.....where do we start? what exactly are you teaching the little idiots today, last time i went to school (comprehensive) you called the teacher Sir or Miss, today its John or Janet...fuck me you will be calling the head Bob next.

As for teaching History... don't make me laugh, today's history is about 20 years ago.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

OK....

On reflection,  I might have sounded a little harsh about teachers. 

Beaconsman - no offence about the 'anonymous' post intended mate.

ANichol - One school I attended was a real throwback, like something from a Charles Dickens novel.  Horrendous place.   But none of this is about me either (or you, or Beaconsman) - it wasn't my intention to personalise anything here.

I'm sympathetic to ninjachica's point about the non-academic kids too.  There is much too much emphasis put on the "brightest and the best" all the time.   The B&B will always do well - it's the 98% of the rest of them that need attention and concern.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

slow..my previous job at an FE college where most things were geared towards to A levels and uni...

I was a physics/electronics/DT Tecnician..I rolled up to carry out some work in the design tech workshop.  One of the students had a very difficult homelife, kicked by his parents etc..anyways, for some reason, myeslf and the DT teacher (ex army and Rolls Royce) took it uponourselves to help this lad out, i worked one to one with him for two years more or less, through AS DT and A2 DT..

He sent me an email not long ago, to say he had landed an apprenticeship with Siemens which enables to him to go to uni, get his degree (all paid for) and then work for Siemens..now is that a result or what?..

Slow, dont worry, Mrs B is quite a tough cookie..she has to be to do her job for 13 yrs at the same school and put up with me buying and fettling with bikes, steam engines, cars..lol..

A Nichol, some good posts which mrs b read..she is leaving at 3-15pm as i am picking her up due to our severe forecast this evening..

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

It's interesting

that there is a perception in the wider world that the focus of schools is on the birghtest and best.

Educational priorities within the industry constantly bounce between "not enough A and B grades - fix it" and "too many failures - fix it". The only way to do both is to either 'Set' subjects with a big talent disparity or 'Stream' all pupils into advanced and basic groupings.

Indusrty insiders will be screaming at me for saying that becuase setting and streaming are very unfashionable. Often because lesser-perfoming students might be that way due to home-life issues (which range from the bullshit to the heartbreaking). Having mixed sets is called "inclusion" in teaching, but is now being criticised as having gone too far the other way - which results in all lessons being dictated by the weakest / worst behaved students and 'discluding' everyone else.

Throw in the use of teachers to paper over the cracks in the under-funded social care industry ("every child matters" and, now, "safeguarding") and its really little wonder the industry is in disaray.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices