Skip to content

Discuss This Does the inconvenience of wrapping yourself up for winter outweigh the benefit of riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Does the inconvenience of wrapping yourself up for winter outweigh the benefit of riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Does the inconvenience of wrapping yourself up for winter outweigh the benefit of riding?

Base layer. Heated vest. Jacket. Goretex. Socks. Boots. Inner gloves, then outers. Buff, or balaclava. Getting ready to go out on your bike in this weather often isn't the most straightforward task, if you're layering up against the cold. It's a lot of kit to wear, let alone to find somewhere to store and dry it all out again! Having to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 January 2013 14:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bebobobob

May 10

Bebobobob says:

that many layers?

I've kept a good pre-sweat core temp up with just a t-shirt and my goretex (fantastic at keeping all air out, thermal padding zips in) in -3*C for prolonged periods on the motorway :S could have done with heated grips though as the fabric of the gloves was plummeting and my arms were cold, neoprene face mask was too warm still but that's better than too cold!

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

if i hadnt had an off

because of the snow on my road id be out riding slong as the roads are clear why should anyone stop riding its hardly inconveint putting on one extra layer or some warmer gloves

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Extra kit

For those that do not have to ride in the worst of the weather maybe the extra kit (and risk) isn't worth it.  However, for those who's bike is their main means of transport the extra layers are more than just worth it - they are essential!    

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Winter kit

Bar muffs and heated grips make a LOT of difference. Also a Gaucho will negate the need for lots of layers.

However, many people won't fit them as they don't look "cool". Biking isn't a fashion statement.

Reply to this Topic
YamAustin

Jan 13

YamAustin says:

jsklhlighr

I dont think you can take the fun and enjoyment out of riding haha

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

There isn't...

bad weather just bad clothing.  From the feet up; good boots, good trousers with waterproofs on top to add another layer, tshirt, shirt, jumper, sweatshirt, good jacket, two bandanas, Gerbings heated gloves and Arai lid.

Like I say no bad clothing and your good to go

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

carlosoul

Yeh but can you get my Busa out of my Driveway ,,, without dropping it because I can't.?

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Maybe you need stabilisers

snev. Have you considered something a little more manageable? What about a Honda Melody?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

It's -29C here today, it's not the wrapping myself thats stopping me from riding, but actually a law on snow tires from December 15th to March 15th preventing bikers to ride period (Quebec, Canada). All vehicules must have certified winter tires during winter, and since they don't make any for bikes (they do make studded tires but no certified winter tires) by default we simply can't ride even if weather was fine. So if on march 14th it's 15C outside, dry roads, great weather, it's illegal to ride. If on march 16th theres a snow storm, legally we can ride.

Reply to this Topic
Bikerste

Jan 13

Bikerste says:

Winter Riding

When you use your bike for work because the buses are so crap, winter riding makes sence, tog up well and enjoy, at least we are being paid to ride to work, the down side is keeping the bike clean, and your kit.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices