Skip to content

Discuss This Does the inconvenience of wrapping yourself up for winter outweigh the benefit of riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Does the inconvenience of wrapping yourself up for winter outweigh the benefit of riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Does the inconvenience of wrapping yourself up for winter outweigh the benefit of riding?

Base layer. Heated vest. Jacket. Goretex. Socks. Boots. Inner gloves, then outers. Buff, or balaclava. Getting ready to go out on your bike in this weather often isn't the most straightforward task, if you're layering up against the cold. It's a lot of kit to wear, let alone to find somewhere to store and dry it all out again! Having to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 January 2013 14:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

At the risk...

...of being branded a heretic, or worse, -  buy a scooter

As quick as a bike in traffic, better weather protection, no exposed mechanicals, 1/2 the fuel consumption

And really, who cares if it's cold & wet  - anything beats sitting in a little tin box going nowhere.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Just buy

a jacket and trousers with a good thermal liner. Tshirt required in summer or winter.

Reply to this Topic
Doctorferg

Jan 12

Doctorferg says:

Just do it!!!

Wrapping up and feeling toasty in the cold and wet just adds another dimension to bike riding. i dont mind it

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

winter riding

Its not only about what you are wearing,its the deadly condition of the roads particularly down here in Devon were it doesn't get quite as bad as the rest of the country but its much more unpredictable and black ice is always a worry. I ride my NC700S all year round and layer up etc even in extreme cold and rain but once the roads deteriorate thats the time to dust the rarely driven car.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

It's worth it.

I don't mind winter riding, my kit is pretty good and keeps out the cold and damp much better that riding kit did years ago when we thought waxed cotton was state of the art. What I do mind is getting my bike all cruddy or salty, so the state of the roads is the deciding factor for me, not temperature.

Yesterday in Plymouth we had a rare weather event, a very thick layer of frozen hail stones which fell overnight. At 6:30am I ran my wife to work in her car which has winter tyres and managed to get safely home. Sensibly there were no bikes about. Half-an-hour later the city was gridlocked, caused by a number accidents and some road closures.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
paulfielding

Aug 02

paulfielding says:

Eh?

What a ridiculous question. Are you asking if it is inconvenient to put on motorbike riding clothes?

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

I wear the same GTX jacket as in summer (but with the lining in & vents closed)... I wear the same GTX over-trousers as I use in summer if it's raining (vents & Lining as before)... same GTX boots... so the only real difference is the gloves, an extra windstopper neck roll & a windstopper jumper. -6 & still warm on a naked bike with heated grips. If the extra clothing stopped me riding in winter it would stop me riding full-stop.

Technology has thankfully moved on from the necessity to look like the Michelin Man.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

bob1

It was chaos down in plymouth I was listening to radio devon I bet you were glad you were in a car. I am up in Torbay which was crazy as well. I rode my bike into work and luckily just missed that hail storm.

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

@Hedgehog5

I look like the michelen man no matter what I wear?

Reply to this Topic
Chrisec87

Aug 04

Chrisec87 says:

Trial and error

Finally I have found the best winter kit combo... I wear my usual summer leathers (no lining), back protector and either a t-shirt or work shirt underneath. Over the top a 2 piece waterproof suit whether its wet or not, and gloves - thats it.

Bought myself a Piaggio MP3 250 as a winter hack, 69mpg and all the benefits as mentioned earlier. Nowt wrong wi' a scooter this time of year.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices