Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Tyre Pressures General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Tyre Pressures

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Tyre Pressures

"There's a lot of pub talk about what tyre pressure s you should run. I ride a 2007 GSX-R750 on the road (mainly) and on the track (sometimes). I'm happy with setting track pressures as there's always tyre support there to ask, but for the road everyone says different things. Should I just stick rigidly to tyre manufacturers' recommended pressures?" Your...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 January 2013 15:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyre pressures

The tyre manufacturers spend and awful lot of time and money of research so I think I'll stick with their recommendations.   I am sure there is a case for adjustments on a track bike but I ride on the road.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

No!

The tyre manufacturer will give you a 'safe' recommendation. Unless the tyre manufacturer has tested their tyres on your bike, they cannot possibly know what the optimum pressure is and so any recommendation given is generic and non specific. They also can't allow for road condition, road surfaces, rider weight or riding styles. The best pressure is the one that works for YOU! I would suggest this is somewhere between 30 and 40 psi and with careful and logical progression from 40 downwards, you should be able to determine the best pressure for both front and rear tyres on your bike.

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Tyre Pressure's

My Blade is recommended to run at 36psi front and 42psi in the rear by the manufacturer, whilst i find this setting ok it can become a little on the hard side if the weather is really hot or we have been riding for a while quite quickly and asking a lot of the tyres.

Whilst i understand this is a generic setting the rule of thumb is depending on what riding your doing, set your pressure's accordingly.

If going on a tour with luggage or two up, use the 36/42psi setting.

If going for a ride with your mates on a nice warm day lower the pressure a bit to 32/38ps

Play with the setting through-out a summer and you will find a good setting for you and your bike, I use the one above and works for me, I know some people who go much lower and some who do not alter the pressure at all, in the end it's up to you and what feels right that counts.

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Tyre Pressure

I have a Suzuki GSXR750 and i use 36psi front and 36psi rear. Suzuki recommend 42psi in the rear because they need to take into account that you may carry a pillion and this is the pressure that you will need. What they don't do is tell you in the manual that if you are riding solo you should reduce it to 36psi, two Suzuki dealers told me this. In the past Suzuki quoted 2 different pressures for the rear (42 for pillion and 36 for solo) but now only quote 42psi. This is because people were having accidents carrying a pillion (all bikes) because they were not altering the pressure from 36psi to 42psi in the rear making the rear less stable because of too much movement in the carcass of the tyre. So to take away the element of human error they now only quote the tyre pressure suitable for carrying a pillion as well as being suitable for solo riding, i find that running 36psi solo gives a feeling of more grip but i never encountered a problem running 42 psi either.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

yawn

"There's a lot of pub talk about what tyre pressures you should run." 

Go to a different pub!

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

The tyre manufacturer's pressures always seem to be higher than the bike manufacturer's pressures....

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Remember.......

......that on the road there are bumps and potholes to negotiate and tyre pressure will affect how your bike copes with these, the tyre is also part of the bike's suspension, so follow the manufacturer's advice on pressure. Track pressures will initially be lower but will increase as the tyre heats up, this shouldn't be the case on the road.

I do land speed racing and always use the recommended pressures for that - although it's just short runs of 20-30 seconds from a standstill to around 200mph and I've not had any failures yet (touch wood). The only one I've seen is on a turbo bike where the rear tyre lost a penny sized chunk of tread after several runs with speeds up to 250mph but we think that was from an object on the runway.

Reply to this Topic
Vortex1952

Mar 11

Vortex1952 says:

Tyre Dilema?

I have a friend who work at tyre shop, he told me that the manufacturers try to cover their back with higher pressure and advised me as follow on my GSX650F :

F=36    /   R= 42 (with pillion) 38(single)

In the summer: F=36 - R=36

Reply to this Topic
mark0711

Mar 11

mark0711 says:

Always refer to owners manual , mine are 2.5 bar for front and 2.9 bar for rear according to owner manual !

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

All this talk about tyre pressures is just a load of hot air.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices