Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Tyre Pressures General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Tyre Pressures

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Tyre Pressures

"There's a lot of pub talk about what tyre pressure s you should run. I ride a 2007 GSX-R750 on the road (mainly) and on the track (sometimes). I'm happy with setting track pressures as there's always tyre support there to ask, but for the road everyone says different things. Should I just stick rigidly to tyre manufacturers' recommended pressures?" Your...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 January 2013 15:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

tyre pressures

In a recent paper prepared in Norther Ireland where some 60 or so serious accidents were investigated they found that in at least  8 cases the tyre pressures were  wrong some only 20 psi.  Whilst they evaluated and concluded that only two of the accidents were caused directly by  the wrong and lower tyre pressures many were lower that normal.and could have added some contibutory factor  to the acccident.

Whilst it is the acceptable norm to reduce pressure for track ie fast riding by a few lbs, increased speed , acceleration more braking etc. creates greater tyre temperature and that in turn  increases the pressure in the tyres. sometimes a rider will generally reduce pressure by a few pounds per square inch..this is a fact as they consider this to be the right thing to do even on the roa

Add to that the fact that their  tyres cool during a break say for lunch and the rider generally fails to take that into account [ his tyres would be hot and up to temp and pressure when he arrived] he could very easily lose control on the first few bends  due to both low pressure and cold tyre giving less grip.

Something to think about after stopping.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

important but

Important but fecking boring!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Being a bit on the dim side, I tend to stick with the bike manufacturer's recommended pressures. I mean, they spend plenty of wedge developing the bikes they sell, so are probably best placed to give advice, especially in this claim happy society we live in. Look at these horrid little chavs who "modify" their cars. Ford, Nissan, VW etc. spend millions on suspension R & D, then along comes a yoof with a face like a join the dots cartoon and a hacksaw......think they know best?

I'll stick with the wisdom of clverer people than me, ta.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Trouble is billy...

...there are many different manufacturers of tyres and each manufacturer has many different types of tyre. One pressure setting cannot work for all tyres. For example, a full on sports trye has a much stiffer construction than a touring tyre. Fill em both up to 40 psi and the touring tyre might be ok, but the sports tyre will feel like granite.

Ultimately it all comes down to preference, and that includes whether or not you follow the manufacturers recommendation or choose your own path. If you don't know or care what difference tyre pressure can make to the feel of the bike, then you don't need to know. However, if you're the kind of person that likes to ask questions, who isn't satisfied with standard settings and is always looking to improve their situation and dosen't automatically accept replies like "thats just the way it is"  you could be about to open the door to a bigger world.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

But I am with you about the chavs...

...an idiot and his toolbox are a dangerous thing.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Lower Pressure

I have been told during advanced riding class that lower pressure equals more traction (until the pressure gets so low that the tire deforms too much) but also more wear. The instructors would have us drop 3 to 5 psi from our street pressures before doing range exercises.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Hi Supermario, you do indeed make some valid points. I have, in the past, "experimented" with different pressures, but generally ended up with the recommended settings. I can certainly tell when a tyre is under or over inflated, I at least have that amount of ability I suppose. At the end of the day, "feel" is a very subjective and personal thing, so, in the true spirit of biking, each to their own! By the way, I've now got Conti Motions fitted to my Blackbird. A cracking tyre, well impressed (no, I don't work for them) and a really good price. Don't know about longevity yet, they haven't been on that long and it's not really been hooning weather, unless you're an ice speedway star...........anyhoo, sorry to ramble, I seem to be easily distracted  these days.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

You're right Billy

Tyres are a massively personal thing, each to their own. Glad you're enjoying the Conti's.

Reply to this Topic
hondonadas

Aug 02

hondonadas says:

Stick to the tyre manufacturer's

Check the recomendations for your bike in tyre selector of the tyre brand that you intend to use. There you will see their recommended patterns and specs that they have tested and work fine with your specific bike model (did you ever heard of PanEuropeans with shimmy problems if you don't use a particular spec).

For most of bikes they put very high presures like 2.5/2.9 Bar Front/Rear because they don't want you to blow a tyre wilst doing 180mph in a German autoban fully loaded with your slim partner, the picnic box and the dog. For a Sunday blast riding solo on a B road you can use 2.3/2.4, but don't go too low like 2.1/1.9 Bar that you would use in a smooth circuit unless you want to break a rim in a pothole.

Reply to this Topic
zest4living

Nov 11

zest4living says:

I think everyone has made valid points and it all comes down to the type of riding you will be doing and the bike you ride, or the temperature at which the tyres will be working, plus the weight carried on.

If you weight 110 kilos and carry a pillion, it's never going to be the same with a single rider that weights only 80 kilos. If you just ride from A to B at lawfully speeds, it's never going to be the same with the sport bike nutter doing a blast on Welsh countryside roads or racing on a track day.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices