Skip to content

Discuss This No red carpet for Suzuki MotoGP return in 2014 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > No red carpet for Suzuki MotoGP return in 2014

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

No red carpet for Suzuki MotoGP return in 2014

Suzuki will not be granted a brand new entry to complete its anticipated return to the MotoGP grid in 2014. Instead the Japanese factory will have to collaborate with an existing team like Aspar, Gresini or BQR, as Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta seeks to gain some stability in the MotoGP world championship. Suzuki intends to be back on the grid next season...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 January 2013 16:18)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nibi

Jun 06

nibi says:

MotoGp needs more bikes on the grid especially factory bikes even if they are only running from fifth backwards. Cant understand why he doesnt just say yes ok?

Its the old saying win races on Sunday, sell bikes on Monday thats why Suzuki want back in they need to promote there brand...

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

It was a bad decision for Motogp when Kawasaki and then Suzuki left the class, for the factory’s and for bike fans (they had some good bikes and crew members).

It would be interesting to actually know if the cash they saved from not running Motogp teams  was actually lost by any drop of sales because their bikes were no longer seen in Motogp. Does anyone know?

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

A Suzuki would whoop a CRT very easy.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Alvaro performance's on the honda last year showed that the suzuki he rode the year before wasn't half bad (he didn't really improve for me) Can't wait to see them back, though why Dorna with 3 brands(2 if you count ducati) wouldn't offer a sweetener to get more manufacturers back in the sport is beyond me..(perhaps more to do with the other manufacturers I suspect)..

Reply to this Topic
cat5cable

May 09

cat5cable says:

Moto gp is gonna end up like f1, get rid of carmelo and bernie and let suzuki back in, come on see the light carmelo.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

racingfan99

"It would be interesting to actually know if the cash they saved from not running Motogp teams was actually lost by any drop of sales because their bikes were no longer seen in Motogp. Does anyone know?"

I doubt it hurt.  In the USA, Kawasaki sales have gone up since they've been out of GP.  They've concentrated on getting bikes like the ZX-10, Z1000SX/Z1000, Ninja 300 and new Versys on the showroom floors.  The dirt segment is strong too with the KX series numbers equaling Hondas at the MX tracks. Customer service has gotten better too.  They're selling wildly and they're better perfoming and better quality over these recent years.  Getting out of GP and putting money into what it takes to build and sell the bikes has been good for them.    They can build what they want without technically stifling rules and testing limitations.

Suzuki, well... they weren't selling well before and they've only fallen behind.  But that's because they aren't marketing themselves well and the bikes areseverely outdated compared to others.  Only the Busa and Gixxer 600 are going well here.  The 750 and 1000 are dropping off.  They don't have any products anyone is excited about.  In the dirt, people still buy the RM-Z450 and 250 because everyone still remembers Ricky Carmichael. If it weren't for Yoshimura Suzuki team, Suzuki would likely sut their doors because no one would even give the bikes a look.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Per the gridding rules...

There's only allowed to be 4 of each manufacturer of bike for the prototypes.  That's a maximum of 12.  The rest are CRTs.

It makes zero sense to not allow 2 more new entries to bring the prototype numbers up to 14.  How in the hell is that taking an entry away from an existing team?  It's adding to the grid as a whole.  Then, if after one year, Suzuki decides to fuck off because Carmelo had dumbed the series down too much, they're back at the same size grid as the previous year.  It hasn't hurt anyone.  All Carmelo has to do is allow a larger grid.  Big deal.  The CRTs will still be at the back.

Maybe the prototypes will expand to 16 if a CRT team decides they want to play that game the next season.

As it stands, there is no good reason whatsoever to any new manufacturer to want to enter MotoGP.  Kawasaki, BMW, Aprilia are doing well selling bikes without GP exposure.  The only thing that will come of entering would be the inability to design and test new proprietary technologies because they are prohibited.  They're better off doing that on their own terms.

Reply to this Topic
Aajkz

Feb 10

Aajkz says:

X2Glider

Off topic slightly, but wanted to pick up on your comment on Suzuki MX bikes. It's not because people are hanging on to RC, it's because they're good. Read any MX tests lately in the off-road titles? Probably not. New bikes this year, heading the SX championship in the states, close but no cigar for Stephen Sword and Martin Barr last year in the British and Red Bull championships. So no, it's not because of the Carmichael history.

Letting them back in GPs as their own entry is surely the way to go. Bolster the grid. It's that simple. And for the four bikes per manufacturer? I don't think anyone on this forum can explain the logic of that. Maybe CE can't either. I don't remember an explanation as to why he wanted to cull the numbers of bikes that could be leased in one breath, and talk about expanding the field in the next. All very strange.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

I think what Ezpeleta is trying to achieve

is the same goal he's had since the introduction of MotoGP. To build stable desirable franchise value in two rider teams with a grid of 24 motorcycles. This is sound by me.

Whilst I think it was very shonky of a muscular automotive company like Suzuki to pull out when they did, perhaps there is also a degree of vindictiveness to Carmelo's decision. He strikes me as that sort of character.

With the impending arrival of customer RCV's and leased Yamaha prototype engines in 2014 grid numbers should stay at the 24 mark for the foreseeable future as these machines replace the ultimately disappointing CRT's. With that in mind I think it is Suzuki that needs MotoGP more (for brand profile)  than the other way around. They gambled on taking a very short term view of events (with what they knew then perhaps, of course much has changed since), and have sort of lost. So not a lot of sympathy for Suzuki from me.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
d0nkeychop

May 10

d0nkeychop says:

well now Suzuki aren't on the grid as a factory team there's no way I'm buying a Suzuki.... Oh.... Wait..... I wasn't going to buy one anyway.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices