Skip to content

Discuss This The rules: Sports bike adventure travel General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The rules: Sports bike adventure travel

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Davidson  says:

The rules: Sports bike adventure travel

More often than not, when the magical words adventure motorcycling are thrown into pub conversation, images of a pannier clad dusty GS equipped with dual tyres spring to mind. The adventure bike is universally assumed by all as the weapon of choice for intrepid over-landers, a wise choice for such an arduous task. That is with the exception of Dutchman Sjaak Lucassen,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 January 2013 10:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

mega and you deliver pizza as well

Superb, an adventure to inspire us all of the power of motorbikes and dreams. NB: the pizza thing is because the panniers look sort of the same, maybe you could get a pizza sponsor.

Reply to this Topic
HalfBakedHenry

Mar 11

Does anyone us a GS??

I know that MCN thinks that the GS is the 'ultimate adventure bike', but thinking of people I know who are on, or have recently been on, big overland trips - I can't actually name a single one! 

There is Nathan who just rode across the USA on the same CT110 he rode back from Australia on.  Ed March is preparing to ride to the Arctic on his trusty C90. 

Bruce Smart recently had a hard time riding a Gixxer in Africa- problems more to do with repeatted robbery than the bike. 

On my current trip Ionly met two other overlanders - both on ancient Velocettes (1936 and 1945) heading down to Cape Town, and as for myself I'm currently rebuilding the engine on my 1967 Metisse in Delhi following a major breakdown in Iran.  Maybe the 'sector' needs  renaming, any bike is an adventure bike!!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Of course sports bikes are great off road for overland trips as can be seen by all the R1s, Fireblades, GSXRs etc in World Motocross!!! Nick Sanders changed from an R1 to a Super Tenere and I'm sure he's not regretted it! You can't possibly have as much control off road with narrow dropped bars as with MX style bars. I think theres a bit of testosterone flying around here!

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Surely the best adventure bikes for Africa etc have to be ones that are similar to what the locals use... built for the environment they're operating in, relatively cheap, simple, easy to repair and less liklely to make you stand out and attract trouble. In many cases that might be those cheap street and motocross bikes and C90 replicas that are copies of mainstream brands - built in Thailand, China etc using universally available components.

Always makes me laugh when I hear people slagging off Kymcos, TGBs, Qingqis, Pioneers, Shinerays etc.  Over half the world's bikes come from China & Taiwan and these are the sorts of bikes that operate reliably on dirt roads around third world towns and villages, being repaired by the local 'mechanic' with a big hammer and a few spanners. 

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

sportsbikes

No 1 on his list was the most provocative. Take the bike you love. Says everything about motorcycling for me.Individualism,freedom,fun. I personally cannot stand adventure bikes too big and ugly for me. I would love to own a new R1.

Reply to this Topic
banik

Feb 13

banik says:

It’s not the bike you love but the bike you know better should be your primary choice when you are planning to travel different place on a bike. Customization is important as you need to cross different terrain but the most important part is to getting prepared for any kind of situation and carrying basic survival kits.

Reply to this Topic
jinos85

Feb 13

jinos85 says:

Those who love both traveling and adventure they would love to try out such opportunities. Traveling helps you rediscover the world. Travel blogs could help you plan a perfect vacation and help you find must see cities, rural sides, beaches.

Reply to this Topic
banik

Feb 13

banik says:

I believe it’s the condition of read that you should consider before choosing your bike. Last year during our trip to Niagara falls we decided to ride on Honda CBR as the road was in great shape.

Reply to this Topic
jinos85

Feb 13

jinos85 says:

I usually do not use my bike for traveling purpose but we are planning to involve it during our next tour as we want to visit Miami on a budget. I hope this will be a great adventure for us.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices