Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Honda CB1100 first ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Honda CB1100 first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Video: Honda CB1100 first ride

MCN Executive Editor Phil West traveled to Valencia in Spain last week to ride Honda's completely new CB1100 retro roadster. Check out his opinions on Honda's brand new link to the past!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 January 2013 13:16)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
delfunko

Jan 13

delfunko says:

dude, an 883 is a foot forward v twin, this is a mid to standard bike position and an inline 4. why not get a goldwing while we're at it lol

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Preunit!

You like the bike but you would change half of it with different wheels and exhaust? I guess that would take the price to over 12 grand then, and within 12 months, worth probably less than half of that. Don't think we will see many of these on the roads, but probably more than the DN-01. I've only seen one of those!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"Don't think we will see many of these on the roads"

All the more reason to get one imo, Honda didn't intended this to

replace any of it's big selling models, but to produce a beautifully

crafted bike that would appeal to (older?)riders who have an eye for detail

and a love of 70's,80's air cooled fours. :sunglasses:

Plus i don't think anyone who intends buying a CB1100 will be remortgaging

to do so, so depreciation won't be an issue to them, it'll be a long term investment

to admire,ride and polish.

If you can't dig this then that's cool, go get yourself a (sports bike/cruiser)......but that would just be a waste of money right?:wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

No More or Less

The Honda CB1100 is no more or less ridiculous than every Moto Guzzi, every air-cooled Triumph, etc. (meaning current models), and a lot more sensible than a Victory or Harley-Davidson cruiser.

As for buying a 30 to 35-year old UJM instead, fine if you just want something in the garage to polish. But if you actually want to ride, there will be a huge difference in maintenance, parts availability, and reliability in favor of the new bike.

Agreed if you want more practicality for the same money (at least in the US), get a Honda Dullsville or Honda Silver Wing – but that is not what the CB1100 is about. Not a bike anyone needs, but one certain people will really enjoy, which is what matters most.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

STILL want one. Looks like I've reached "that age", but the styling appeals and does remind me of the bikes I had back in the 70's and 80's. Okay, I'm an old phart, but really, where can you get away with properly exercising the modern hyper bikes without getting zapped by a camera / clouting another dimwit road user / otherwise phuqqing it up? Think it's time to re - evaluate what I want from my biking, not sure I want to tear arse around any more. Too many scars and too many friends lost surfing the zeitgeist is catching up with me, which I'm not afraid to admit. You see, that's what I love about biking - you can be yourself and ride whatever you want, however you want, whenever you want. At the end of the day, it's a big family and every family has different characters in it. It appears that I've become the embarrasing dad dancer........... 

Reply to this Topic
bob the builder

Feb 03

I have had Honda`s from the early seventies,I wish manufacturers would make taller road bikes for us over 6ft.

This bike looks way too small for me to be comfortable.

Dont think I will change my Suzuki GSX 1400 for it, Looks too small for the 6ft plus rider, thats why the GSX1400 suits me at the moment, but I`l go and try it out when it hits the dealers.

Also the price for a, retro?? an old design??? should be a bit cheaper, then the quality might probably suffer.

Reply to this Topic
ACEEDSTORM

Oct 10

ACEEDSTORM says:

Almost 9K for this!Yet again Honda take the piss out of the punters.It makes me laugh how it's compared to Zephyrs,they'll be around in 20 yrs in various upgraded guises but this,i don't think it'll ever be a cult bike,bland,ugly,slow,overpriced HONDA.It'll be discontinued in 2 yrs max coz they won't sell any.

Reply to this Topic
Boxer12

Jan 13

Boxer12 says:

@piglet

What on earth are you on about?

Reply to this Topic
jonathanflatman

Sep 11

CB1100

I was getting quite excited about this new bike until I read some of the other reviews.  (I was considering this bike, the KTM690 and the BMW 800ST.   I have ruled out the KTM and BMW as they have been suffering from bits falling off during MCN tests. Almost beggars belief) .

- the seat is too low for taller riders

- the fuel tank is too small, for cosmetic reasons, so you can see the engine!

- the orignal non-uk model, I believe, has one throttle body and does about 70 mpg (claimed).  The UK model has four throttle bodies and is claimed to do about 50mpg. Why change it?  It was never destined to be a sports bike.

- as other people have already commented, there is a lot of chrome.  My life is too short to keep polishing chrome.  It looks as though a good idea has been turned into a master class of style over function.  However,  I need frugality and function.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

CB750

Had a 94, CB750 F2. It rode just like Phil West describes the new CB1100. It was so user friendly to the point of 'A bit boring'.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle