Skip to content

Discuss This The Ten Worst Safety Innovations General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The Ten Worst Safety Innovations

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

The Ten Worst Safety Innovations

Over the years there's been some interesting, awful, and downright dangerous suggestions made to make biking safer, from researchers, manufacturers and government. We've compiled our top ten worst safety innovations. 1. RoofsGive a motorcycle a roof and what you have is no longer a motorcycle. And anyone can make something safer by turning it into something else. You might as well say:...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 January 2013 16:52)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Cool, eh?

1. Looks tempting with it snowing outside.
2. The BMW C1 might be fun to ride in icy conditions, since crashing would not hurt so much.
7. Who doesn’t want a motorcycle that high-sides you in a fast corner?
8. Tell Alpinestars and Dainese to stop putting air-bags in their high-end racing suits. MotoGP riders seem to be using them.
9. Now, a laser powerful enough to cut through the SMIDSY’s vehicle would be a better idea.
10. Jason Pridmore has a modified Suzuki GSX-R1000 with grab handles welded onto the tank for giving rides around the track.  From first-hand experience I know they work.
4.bp.blogspot.com/_TeN4J9hIz_g/SZ8-gGmqYiI/AAAAAAAAAVI/hvR-Jbp8RX0/s320/jpac.jpg

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

The leg guards might have some use when riding off-road through brush with sticky seeds – I had to pick a bunch out of my textile mesh riding pants one time.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hang on...

Is someone working overtime in the MCN office? it's Sunday.... piglet ....when you first came to this site you said serious things......thank god you soon learned to be normal... keep em coming....

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

leg protectors

I still remember the motorbike media fuelled paranoia about compulsory leg protectors in the 80's...how some things never change.

Reply to this Topic
paulthew

Aug 11

paulthew says:

here we go...

Quiet day in the office?

1. Roofs. A fascinating concept used by the innovative Quasar in the 80s, and the excellent BMW C1 scooter. But hey, let’s ignore innovation and trying new things. Oh, and even with a roof, it’s still a motorcycle.
2. Seatbelts. Another excellent idea for a design like the C1. Pity you seem to fold at the idea of wearing them with a helmet. OMG, the horror!
3. Leg Protectors. Many Honda CB750’s sported these ‘orrible things, especially the police in South Australia – tubes of steel in a ‘U’ shape projecting from the engine.
From what I could gather, good for low speed spills (protect the bike, and possible yourself) but helping to ‘skate’ the bike along the ground when falling at speed, and also wrapping itself around the riders leg.
I could be wrong, but I think the leg protector in the photo is more for a commuter trying to keep a brutally cold wind from snap-freezing their legs, which seems like an excellent idea.
4. Curve Warning System. Oh dear. No needs, as my bum cheeks do a pretty good job…
5. Vibrating Cheek Pads. I mentioned this to my female friend, and her smile had nothing to do whatsoever about her cheeks vibrating…there are others uses for that one, methinks…
6. Safety Sphere. Oh Dear God, a danger to all road users other than the occupant. Imagine being cleaned up by one of those?
7. Speed control. Has merit, especially with the serial speedsters around here, both two and four wheeled. Twelve months speed-limited riding/driving for serial offenders?
8. Airbag Jacket: Wonderful stuff. You think low speed spills are safe? My backbone likes the idea. Three hundred quid, but still walking? Yes, please.
9. Frontal Collision Lazer Scanners. Well, in its defence, there is an excellent Volvo YouTube demo of this in one of its trucks. Note the word; “trucks’.
10. Pillion Seat Straps. Mostly useless….on second thoughts, useless.

Reply to this Topic
Hwystr

Nov 10

Hwystr says:

Safety Device

Do something usefull and develop a front mounted RPG launcher for car drivers that see you and decide to pull out anyway.  Then a matching rear mounted one for car drivers who think they can drive 5ft from your bum while texting and sinking their fat face into a cheesburger.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

When I saw “Vibrating cheek pads”, I first thought of a device to relieve posterior numbness from too much “straight up and down” riding.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Oh don't mention leg protectors, you'll set MAG off again

Looking out the window today, I like the idea of weather deflectors like those.  Also, crash bungs.  Mandatory, no. Bad idea though?  Also no.

Airbag jacket/vest replacement cylinders cost £15 each.  I imagine when you're sliding down the road, worrying about what you look like is pretty low down your list of concerns.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

I was under the impression

that the DoT aversion to riding the C1 without a helmet was more political / stick in the mud that genuine safety concerns.

Reply to this Topic
wak1309

Jun 10

wak1309 says:

Love the Pillion seat strap....

Back in the day my mate and I arranged to go for a blast, he on his RG500 me on a RG250, but mine decided it wasn’t playing that morning. My mate said “Well get ready and jump on the back of me!” Great, I though (only previous pillion experience was a quick trip around the block)…

Didn’t really think about the fact that 80’s race reps weren’t exactly built with grab rails!! I folded the footpegs down and climbed on……My gloved fingers wouldn’t even fit through the strap nevermind hold it!! Reluctant to ‘hold on’ to my mate, I did my best to tuck as much of my hands as I could under the utterly useless strap and proceeded to hang on quite literally for dear life as my mate scared the bejeezus out of me to Matlock and back!!
Felt like I was on a Rodeo Bull haha

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices