Skip to content

Discuss This The Ten Worst Safety Innovations General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The Ten Worst Safety Innovations

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

The Ten Worst Safety Innovations

Over the years there's been some interesting, awful, and downright dangerous suggestions made to make biking safer, from researchers, manufacturers and government. We've compiled our top ten worst safety innovations. 1. RoofsGive a motorcycle a roof and what you have is no longer a motorcycle. And anyone can make something safer by turning it into something else. You might as well say:...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 January 2013 16:52)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Well think of all the people these things kept in work for God knows how long, keeping us all thinking what a waste of time they were and having us all cringing at the prospect of them being implemented. And then remember how relieved we all felt when they were cancelled. I'm willing to bet this isn't the last we will hear from the 'nanny state' regarding how much we all need to be protected from ourselves! Can't remember last time I heard about new safety measures for 18-25 years olds in lowered Saxo's and Corsas. Of course they are all as safe as houses, aren't they?

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

solutions to problems that don't exist

To be fair, pillion seat straps have been around since a pair of maximi glutimi could share a seat and are quite handy for sticking your gloves or cleaning rags under but as for the rest....this is what your taxes pay for.

They probably spent months going through flip charts, powerpoint presentations and talking about no-brainers while charging ridiculous consultancy rates for the privilege of quaffing coffee and chocolate chip muffins.

This is what you get when you stick a bunch of non-motorcyclists in a room and tell them to come up with some safety devices for motorcyclists.

Every single cretin that was involved with these ridiculous ideas should be taken out to a field and shot.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

On the old British bikes that owners fitted with the windscreen with hand fairing the leg guards were used as protection from the rain and wind.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yeah

and whats with ABS on bikes,what a crock of shit that idea is

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Erroneous ......

.....I think the comment below may be correct. The Leg Protectors shown in the photo at number three were for protection from the WEATHER, not from crashing.

There may well have been an abortive attempt at leg crash-protectors at some point but not the example given which is a 1973 - 1974 registered bike.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

I thinking?

Bob 1 is quite right, picture 3 seems to be an old Voskhod 175, which I remember being tested some years ago with leg shields fitted. Still a heap of shite, however. Satnavsteve also makes a valid point about spotty yoofs / hacksaws / lowered death traps. Perhaps some of the money spent on these "safety" ideas for bikes would be better spent on improving DRIVING standards for the young and dopey car drivers who seem to know more about handling and how to wikkid up their ride than the car manufacturers, with their millions spent on research, design, testing etc.  I don't recall seeing anything published about that anywhere? Oh, silly me, bikes are an easy target because they're DANGEROUS, aren't they? Of course, what was  I thinking?

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Bob 1 is quite right, picture 3 seems to be an old Voskhod 175, which I remember being tested some years ago with leg shields fitted. Still a heap of shite, however. Satnavsteve also makes a valid point about spotty yoofs / hacksaws / lowered death traps. Perhaps some of the money spent on these "safety" ideas for bikes would be better spent on improving DRIVING standards for the young and dopey car drivers who seem to know more about handling and how to wikkid up their ride than the car manufacturers, with their millions spent on research, design, testing etc.  I don't recall seeing anything published about that anywhere? Oh, silly me, bikes are an easy target because they're DANGEROUS, aren't they? Of course, what was  I thinking?

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Ooops, sorry, phuqqued up just there.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

BMW Eat Your Heart Out

The Lit Motors C-1 fully enclosed self-balancing bike. 

This is a contender for the 'Ten Best" list.

Reply to this Topic
paulthew

Aug 11

paulthew says:

wonderful concept

Bob_1;

That's a great design!

These types of bikes were thought about years ago - Vincent, I think, wanted to try and create an 'all-weather' machine, and had there been self-stabilizers then, most certainly would have been incorporated into the design.

These enclosed cockpit designs are being made by the likes of Honda and such, and all power to them. I think we're looking at the future of motorcycles right there.

Motorcycle design has changed throughout the years as different technology and uses arrived, and this is another step.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices