Skip to content

Discuss This How hard can it be to pass the bike test after 22 years? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How hard can it be to pass the bike test after 22 years?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

How hard can it be to pass the bike test after 22 years?

I took my motorcycle test in 1989, and failed. I don’t remember much about it, except that I wasn’t confident. Days earlier my training school had told me I was terrible. I blame their standard of tuition. At the start of lesson one, an instructor had blipped my throttle, not realising it was a twist-and-go, and gone sprawling across the car park...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 January 2013 15:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

Could I? I wonder?

Interesting article..and somewhat thought provoking. I passed my motorcycle test in 1973...on a CB 250 Honda. It was dreadfully simple. For readers of a more tender age..in those days you met the examiner--he checked your papers--licence and then advised you of a route to follow. The route was designed so he could walk...yes walk!! to various points to observe you. The emrgency stop was him stepping into the road in front of you!! It took about half hour then back to the test center where he showed a selection of road signs for you to identify. And that was about it!!!. Since then I had advanced training in about 1979--again in 1981 and again in about 1986. Ive owned 39 motorcycles since I was 14 and I still ride a 1000cc sporty bike. My licence is as cleean as the day it was printed...and to date only one "off"( punted off by a pissed/disqualified driver)..however Im not so sure I could pass the new test, in fact Im certain.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Great article, thanks for putting yourself through it.

It might be of particular interest to anyone looking at 12 points and an extended re-test. ;)

I fully agree that there's nothing particularly hard in the tests.  If you can ride a bike safely, then you can pass, and you will pass unless you do something daft.  Since you can do that at any time, there's no point prevaricating about the bush: just have a go early and often.

Good job on not reacting to the examiner's bad signal.  I've seen a few folk suggest that you use the examiner's vehicle to determine what to do, and that's a crystal clear example of why not.

<adenoids>I'm not sure why Chris handed you a hi-vis.  See, The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999, section 16 (9).  Hi-vis is mandatory while under DAS training, but not while on test.</adenoids>

Reply to this Topic
speedy231278

Jun 10

speedy231278 says:

44 out of 75 for the hazard perception means that you can pass the test while in theory having missed almost 42% of the hazards! It's no wonder so many car drivers cause accidents!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"44 out of 75 for the hazard perception means that you can pass the test while in theory having missed almost 42% of the hazards!"

That's on a computer screen and not real dude, a total waste of time imho.

Surely when taking a mod 2, your examiner can judge/assess how "aware" you are of real life "hazards"  and that you're riding accordingly ?.

Reply to this Topic
pissedsid

Feb 12

pissedsid says:

The test

At 12 years I failed the cycling proficiency test,I missed a life saver right at the end of the test and as the playground was such an accident black spot I failed b*****s! However I got through the car test first time in 1987 despite reading the wrong registration plate and adding an extra letter, Then after 20+ years of driving, for some reason the desire to have a proper motorbike licence sort of came about,Once again the gods of the road decreed me fit to use the sainted tarmac, first time again as well! Good news, well not quite, The hazard perception test I feel could be better as I also near ballsed the whole deal on this test, Not because I have no perception of impending doom, but because I found the instructions were rather sh*te,I think the hazard test could have a better format, With an examiner instead of pressing buttons ???

Reply to this Topic
gordonglover

Feb 04

gordonglover says:

dinosaurs

i did my first test 1974 ,, simple as it was then i nearly ran the guy over when he stepped out in front of me;; then 7 years ago due to the cock up at the DVLA i had to take my test again,, so shitting my pants i did all the figure of 8 and all that crap and passed first time; so when you young guys see us dinosaurs on our bikes just remember ;; older and wiser;;

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Oh, the theory test is a joke and no mistake

You can pass the "bike" theory test without getting any of the bike specific questions right, and half of the other ones are just eco-PC jokes.  I was shown the tram road sign, and the question wasn't "What are the dangers for motorcycles of this vehicle" (tracks!) but "What are the environmental benefits of this vehicle?".  Jesus wept, and then recycled his tears.

Hazard perception is a game.  If you've been using the road at all, you'll see hazards well before you're supposed to, and have to delay clicking until you're "supposed" to notice it.

Heck, it was all that I could do to not yell at the screen "Transit!  The natural predator of bikes!  Change position!  SMIDSY weave!  Prepare to stop!  USE THE HORN, YOU FOOOOOL!"

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Slow Riding?

One can ride safely on the street without being good at tight, low-speed turns – if tight turns were required, it would be impossible for HGV’s to get around.

Here in the US the MOST and ALMOST riding tests are generally used. Most cheat on the swerve test by accelerating to a greater speed, then slowing for the swerve, since the rider’s speed is determined by time between a set of cones. Same for the braking test.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices