Skip to content

Ask an Expert 33bhp and Race exhausts, yes or no? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > 33bhp and Race exhausts, yes or no?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BikerWill

Jan 13

BikerWill says:

33bhp and Race exhausts, yes or no?

Hi there, I'm about to receive my new (1994) Suzuki GS500 E and i'm keen on the idea of fitting a race exhaust to enhance the sound. Thing is, being on an 'A' licence, i'm restricted to 33 bhp (25kw) for two years. So, this bike will have washers in the carb inlet manifold, restricting the air/fuel mix into the engine. Will I totally wreck my engine by fitting a race exhaust or is it generally okay to do this, and what other side effects could it have? Cheers!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 January 2013 21:13)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Race 33bhp

The race can "MAY" put your bike over the 33bhp limit, so invalidating your license/insurance.
It WILL also attract more attention, especially from plod.

I doubt it's going to affect the fuel/air mix too much.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

BikerWill

There is absolutely no point in fitting a race end can especially as the engine is restricted at the intake to reduce its perfomance.

What the effect on the engine's integrity will be is an unknown but I would think if there were to be an effect it would cause the engine to burn hotter thus reducing the manufacturers intended life expectancy of the piston. How long this would take before the piston failed is open to debate. I believe this engine to be air cooled, if this is correct, then the whole engine will be effected as will it's major components.

As a young lad I would not of thought twice about putting on the louder pipe, but time has gifted me to think along different lines these days so I tend to think about 'wallet content ' more these days.

Reply to this Topic
BikerWill

Jan 13

BikerWill says:

33bhp and race exhaust

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. :smile

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Also

save your money - exhausts are expensive and the cash will go towards a bigger bike!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Also

save your money - exhausts are expensive and the cash will go towards a bigger bike!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices