Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

Motorcycle covers

Hi

I've been looking at the Oxford Stormex cover.  It's black and it doesn't look like there are any reflective strips on it, are there?  I'm planning to park mine on the road and the thought crossed my mind of my bike maybe being hit while it's covered; in darkness hours, because someone 'didn't see it'.

Has that ever been a problem for anyone on here?

If so can somebody recommend one that does have a visibility aid.

Thankyou

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 January 2013 17:53)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Oxford Aquatex

I've got the Aquatex (couldn't really see how the Stormex was any better) cover which has black sides but a silver strip from front to back which is pretty reflective.

According to Oxford's website, the Stormex does have 'reflective panels' (3rd bullet point) - have you actually seen one in person?

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

oh

Hi
Thanks for your answer.
No they were in the packet when I was in the shop today.  I haven't seen one unpacked.  Thanks for the link.. Even the picture on there doesn't make it look very reflective.. It's mainly black.

RE: Aquatex vs Stormex.  The guy in the shop today said Aquatex is more lightweight material, so if your bike is baking hot - the aquatex has a danger of melting on to the metalwork , so you'd need to leave about half an hour before putting it over your bike....

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

displaying permits?

Apart from that, I just hope parking enforcement won't have a problem bcos my parking permit will be underneath the cover :-/?

Has anyone ever had any problems with that?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Ask the shop owner

to get one out of the packet. Bring a torch as well so you can shine it at it to find the reflective bits and see if you're happy!

I can't imagine there'd be much of a problem seeing it in the dark to be fair. Reflective panels spark up the moment any kind of light hits them (brake lights, headlights, street lights). Unless you live in the middle of the countryside where it's pitch black anyway I don't think you'll have a problem with people not seeing it!

Regarding permits - any chance you could talk to the local council/permit issuer and explain the situation or give them your number plate instead? Seems a bit odd having to get a permit for a motorbike anyway, but I can understand how ridiculous some councils are! If it's still a must then I believe the Stormex comes with a number plate window..? You could affix it to that (or affix to bike wherever the number plate window actually sits once cover on)?

Reply to this Topic
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

Stormex

It has little, triangular reflective panels which don't do much at all.

It's a good cover but I wouldnt use it on the road myself.

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

good permit ideas

Thanks they're good ideas for displaying the permit.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices