Skip to content

General Is it true, you won't get a parking ticket on a motorcycle, if the bike is covered? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Is it true, you won't get a parking ticket on a motorcycle, if the bike is covered?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dayle14gb

Dec 12

dayle14gb says:

Is it true, you won't get a parking ticket on a motorcycle, if the bike is covered?

Having spoken to a few "experienced" motorcycle riders and my father, I seem to get the same answer. They say that if you park on a pavement (so long as you don't block a door, alleyway, or vehicle access point), then you wont get a parking ticket, IF you put a bike cover over your bike. It's a loophole that means the attendant can not interfere with the motorcycle nor it's cover. It sounds logical, but I want to get some clarification on it, before risking it, so does anyone know anything about this possible "loophole"?

It would appear this question has been asked before on a different website but the answers are along the same lines as MCN...Urban myth!
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070725071332AAd1AFc

I never thought there was going to be such a divided opinion on this! No one seems to have a definitive answer to this. Although one person on the Yahoo link above, does seem to strongly believe that by covering or removing the number plate- there is nothing more they can do, other than wait around for you to return?! Interesting...

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 January 2013 14:04)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Cover

only if it's made by klingons.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I have heard

that traffic wardens are not allowed to remove any covers on a bike but not totally sure of the legalities of parking tickets

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

I guess

I guess you could also avoid a ticket by removing your number plate when you park. :wink:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike parking

Illegal parking is illegal parking - there is no 'loophole' that changes that.  There was once a rule that prevented traffic / parking wardens from removing a cover to see your number plate in order to issue a ticket.  So, although the offence was still being committed, a penalty notice could not be issued.  Whether this is still the case or not I don't know but, even if it is, inconsiderate parking reflects badly on all of us.  

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Covers

they may now remove parts of the cover to see the plate and issue the ticket.

EDIT: Preunit, you shat on the bike to cover it up?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Parking.

False. If it were true there would be a thriving trade in car covers too, enabling anyone to park wherever they liked.

Try leaving your your hazard flashers on. They’re like Kryptonite to traffic wardens and you can park anywhere.

:laugh:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Parking

Common sense is,it`s illegal to park a vehicle on a pavement,also if the number plate is covered it can be uncovered for legal/law purposes. 

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I park anywhere

I fancy in London (within reason) and just stick a plastic bag that I keep in my pocket over the number plate.. I only ever do this for short(ish) visits tho.. I would def not recommend it for a regular parking option.. ie for work every day etc... In fact once as I climbed back on I was challenged by a warden... so I left the bag on and rode off!   :lol:

As a one off tho I'd say just do it mate!   :wink:

Reply to this Topic
bimmerman

Aug 02

bimmerman says:

ayyy

"so I left the bag on and rode off"

Riding with obscured plates? Thought that was a road traffic offence?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices