Skip to content

General Is it true, you won't get a parking ticket on a motorcycle, if the bike is covered? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Is it true, you won't get a parking ticket on a motorcycle, if the bike is covered?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dayle14gb

Dec 12

dayle14gb says:

Is it true, you won't get a parking ticket on a motorcycle, if the bike is covered?

Having spoken to a few "experienced" motorcycle riders and my father, I seem to get the same answer. They say that if you park on a pavement (so long as you don't block a door, alleyway, or vehicle access point), then you wont get a parking ticket, IF you put a bike cover over your bike. It's a loophole that means the attendant can not interfere with the motorcycle nor it's cover. It sounds logical, but I want to get some clarification on it, before risking it, so does anyone know anything about this possible "loophole"?

It would appear this question has been asked before on a different website but the answers are along the same lines as MCN...Urban myth!
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070725071332AAd1AFc

I never thought there was going to be such a divided opinion on this! No one seems to have a definitive answer to this. Although one person on the Yahoo link above, does seem to strongly believe that by covering or removing the number plate- there is nothing more they can do, other than wait around for you to return?! Interesting...

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 January 2013 14:04)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Number plates

Covering or removing plates will get a fixed penalty from the police.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

it was once the case

that yes you could cover your number plate and the wardens couldn't tamper with it!, a loop hole that was very quickly closed! so don't attempt it!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Flyer m8

you make it sound like the dukes of hazzard..quality :smile

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

dayle

got you a solution dude :smile

even the old bill did see him :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

In most places

you're allowed to park on the pavement anyway so long as you are not causing an obstruction such that prams or wheelchairs cannot pass.

According to plod, councils cannot issue tickets for motorbikes causing obstructions, either - that's plod's job, and only very rarely do they exercise that ability. I spoke to both my local council who went "don't do that, grrr", and then I spoke to a lovely police office who went "council can't do shit, police won't care if it's not blocking the pavement completely".

I guess some councils might be a bit more aggressive, though. Stupid fragmented council laws :-/

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

parking

I park in Grimsby town centre near an estate agents on the pavement so i can lock it to a set of bars that were installed for  spinners..not had any issues..

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

ok

he is right a traffic warden can not interfear  with your cover ..

if you ever see the smart car owners they put car covers on ...

but there is a big BUT; the wardens call the cops to see if the vehicels are taxed legal

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

In Nottingham

there's at least one official, signposted bike parking "bay" with padlock provision and that which is actually on the pavement (outside the Salutation).

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Salutation

Yeah and you used to be able to park your van up the side when you had a gig upstairs - found out just before Christmas that it's no longer the case!

:upset::mad:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle