Skip to content

General HS2 "Engine for growth" Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > HS2 "Engine for growth"

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

snev

Jan 11

snev says:

HS2 "Engine for growth"

Now that statement, by Someone un-elected by the vast majority of the population, really gets my goat.... If High Speed Rail Links costing Billions are the answer to kick start the economy... Then why oh Fucking why are they reducing all the speed limits on the roads .....Fuckwits. ....and relax.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 January 2013 19:39)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

HS2

Construction of a vast amount of railway infrastructure and rolling stock will create a lot of jobs.  It'll also bring us into the 20th (if not the 21st) century when it comes to rail travel.

Going 10mph faster on the road doesn't create any jobs.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

sounds like

a bargain, £32Billion to get to your destination half an hour earlier, probably for twice the price....!!  :doubt:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Cool a new party......the ZZR1400 for the People Party .......got my vote m8 :smile

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

It's

all due to the EU - they had this brilliant idea for a trans-EU highspeed railyway system which was shut down but lives on in these mandatory stupid projects which individual states have to fund.

Being able to arrive for a meeting 30-60 mins earlier is going to make little to no difference to any business day. You are still going to block out your entire morning if you have to travel half the country.

This will simply cost a fortune for no discernible benefit for the economy and will never cover its costs in terms of increased tax revenue. An engine for growth? Bullshit. Just obeying another directive from the EU which is not in Britain's interests.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

so lets

Gridlock the roads and build more railways then? seriously roads are the real lifeblood of the economy and the more they restrict the roads the more the economy suffers,

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

HS2.

It's a daft idea. I've often thought a modern rail network running on the local rail tracks which Beeching closed would have been a boon to this country, but this monstrosity is a vanity project. It's a British "bullet train" which will whisk Northern MPs to Westminster whilst allowing the plebs' parallel rail network to decline, and maintaining the London-centric nature of society. It won't carry freight, so all those lorries chugging up the length of the country will still be there. I'm not generally a NIMBY but "Developers" have a lot to answer for in this country.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Phil - an EU directive?? Seriously??

Where did you get the idea that this is an EU directive?   JHC!

I've heard some crap about the EU - it made my tea go cold too fast.  It made my old girlfriend cheat on me.   It's causing all this bad weather.   It gave me a stitch when I was about to beat my personal best time on the latest half-marathon.  And so on.

But the EU demanded HS2?  Damn - I don't think even the Mail would print something that silly!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

SlowLearner,

Phil has a point. There is an EU Directive to achieve "inter-operability of a pan-European high speed rail network."

I'm wondering if rail passengers will have to stand at 225mph, and why that's regarded as safe.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

James:

I'm rather surprised to find you taking this supposed directive seriously.  As if our government - the bloody Tories at that - would meekly accept an order from the EU, and announce a £30+Billion, 20+ year project at the same time they're ginning up a referendum to get us out of the EU altogether!

Come on, get serious.

And have you seen what the supposed directive is calling for?

• Corridor 1 - Berlin–Palermo railway axis
  • Corridor 2 - Brussels-centered network to London, Paris, Amsterdam, Cologne
  • Corridor 3 - High-speed rail axis of Southwest Europe (Lisbon-Porto, Lisbon-Salamanca, Lisbon-Madrid-Barcelona-Lyon, Madrid-Bilbao-Bordeaux-Paris)
  • Corridor 4 - High-speed railway axis east (Paris to Strasbourg, Luxembourg, Mannheim)
  • Corridor 6 - Lyon-Turin-Trieste-Ljubljana-Budapest railway axis
  • Corridor 17 - Railway axis Paris-Strasbourg-Stuttgart-Vienna-Bratislava

This doesn't actually demand a high-speed line between London and various northern cities. 

Once again,  I'm really surprised at the backwards attitudes here.   We don't want any of this high-speed rail nonsense, no - we want roads, roads and more roads, so they can all be clogged with masses of traffic, and pollution and carbon emission concerns are all lies and nonsense.

Funny that the best roads in the world, the Alps, the German Autobahns and so on, also in countries served by the finest railways in the world.  Or didn't the Mail/ Sun/ Express etc. etc. mention that when they were pounding out the anti-EU lies and propaganda?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

yeh sod roads...

lets all go back to horses and trains.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN