Skip to content

General HS2 "Engine for growth" Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > HS2 "Engine for growth"

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

snev

Jan 11

snev says:

HS2 "Engine for growth"

Now that statement, by Someone un-elected by the vast majority of the population, really gets my goat.... If High Speed Rail Links costing Billions are the answer to kick start the economy... Then why oh Fucking why are they reducing all the speed limits on the roads .....Fuckwits. ....and relax.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 January 2013 19:39)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

If they'd

put more freight onto the rail network, the roads would

a) Be clearer

b)Wear out less quickly

c) Provide jobs for people who live here, spend their wages here rather than foreign transport companies.

Another concern is: Why do people always need to move to various parts of the country for meetings? If the information superhighway was up to speed, could video-conferencing not save a lot of time, money and unnecessary journeys/fuel usage?

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

HS2

Of course it will stimulate the economy, as any building program would. The more traffic carried by rail the less congested the roads.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Of course

ultra fast fibre optic broadband would be far better - why the need to 'be there'? - surely a lot 'greener' to not go and use video conferencing.

Seriously greener when you consider the amount of our county alone (Cheshire) that will be obliterated to make way for it.

As yet I've not seen a credible business case for this - yet £32bn could do a serious amount of good in road repairs (that we've already paid for by way of RFL)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

SlowLearner,

Phil simply said the EU idea lives on and you jumped down his throat.

Get serious, you say? You don’t really think we’ll get the promised referendum, do you?

I do think the UK often meekly obeys the European Parliament regardless. Look at the debacle over Test Centres where common sense failed and we built expensive and unpopular sites so that learners could meet the 50kph (31mph) speed requirement. Why didn’t we ask for a UK-specific clause allowing 30 mph, or even just do it whilst sticking to the spirit of the European test?

Back to the HST, Ministers love these big projects, it feeds their vanity. The idea of London as simply a European terminus is less attractive and doesn’t feed the developers’ hunger. I don’t think Birmingham or Manchester really need super-fast passenger trains to London but the London-centrics do.

I’d like to see long-distance freight off the roads and onto the railways, and investment on existing infrastructure instead of a new, parallel, top-tier, passenger-only railway. The guys here make a good point about thebenefits of improved telecommunications too.

Reply to this Topic
mallic

Nov 10

mallic says:

HS2

20 years to build the f*cking thing:doubt: The Victorians would have cracked it off in half that time,Brunel built Bristol to London railway in 5 years with the longest tunnel in Europe (at that time),no doubt there will be 5 years of enquiries lining the pockets of lawyers etc.The money would be better spent on improving the road network,get some motorways built with realistic variable speed limits,up to 150mph dependant on conditions and time of day

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Careful

Tell them that quicker means of transport are not required and they will kickback by banning motorcycles as not being necessary as who needs a cuppa with their mates.

I mean thats tantamount to being pleasurable and they won't stand for that.

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

There has also

just been a furore about the cost of normal train tickets, with above inflation price rises on many routes.  So, even if they build a 'Zil lane' train service, no-one will be able to afford to use it.

Public transport is fine, IF the public can afford to use it.  The State subsidy for rail in the UK has been less than our European counterparts for years. 

If you want people to leave the car at home, make public transport regular and affordable.  The pricing structure at the moment penalises those that use it to the point where in some cases, its cheaper to drive, and park then use the train.  Joined up thinking? Not yet it seems

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

Interoperability

... means different countries making their rail systems suitable for each other's rolling stock, rather than having to stop and change locos at the border - compatible signalling and train control systems, that sort of deal. Gosh, that's scary big brother stuff.

I'd rather see proper investment in ordinary-speed rail and goods traffic, although my views are a bit coloured by the chosen route for phase 1 ploughing up places that are big in my childhood memory. The time savings aren't enough to be significant until they get the thing up to Scotland.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

of course it won't cost

£32billion either....Cambridge has recently had a guided bus way finished, original cost was meant to be £118million, then revised to £150million, but final cost nearer to £200million, for a mere 25miles!!!!!!!....so final HS2 cost?....pick up a number  :mellow:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices