Skip to content

Ask an Expert Valve clearance check interval / cost Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Valve clearance check interval / cost

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

VFR800RR

Aug 12

VFR800RR says:

Valve clearance check interval / cost

My garage says the benefit of checking the valve clearances on my 1999 VFR 800 is not worth the estimated labour costs of £1,000. The bike's done 45k miles. How long can I leave it? What's the worst that could happen if I never have them checked?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 January 2013 07:39)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Had mine done last year

32K on the clock complete with a full service (all fluids,etc) for £450

so £1k is way expensive, can't be arsed to get the service record out, but i think the valves should be checked every 16k or there abouts.

btw the clearances didn't need any adjustment either, the technician said that the vfr's rarely need adjusting below 48k, had mine done for peace of mind and to maintain a full service history.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Sounds

like garage does not want the job.

Buy a Haynes manual and carefully have a go yourself, may take a couple of weekends but at least you will know if they need adjusting or not.

Ask a mate to help even if its just to check what you are doing with the tools.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

VFR800

The valves need doing every 16,000 miles and it is not something I would neglect.  A quote of £1,000 labour for a 16K service on a VFR is just plain robbery.  The last time I had a full service on my VFR it cost me about £450 including all the parts - oil, filters, plugs etc.  Not a Honda dealer but I local independant that I trust.        

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

haples dan the mod

i think you got the carlseberg my ol son as you must of thought thats the best fifty quid i ever spent:lol:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Valve clearances

The worst that can happen??

The clearances tighten up to nothing, the valves then hammer themselves into the head. The bike stops running. You then need a new cylinder head.

But well before that happens, the clearances tighten up, you start to lose a bit of power, and the bike becomes impossible to start when HOT.

I assume you're talking about MAIN DEALER prices here?? Find a good independent dealer.

Reply to this Topic
VFR800RR

Aug 12

VFR800RR says:

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the replies. It's an independent garage that I take it to, and they seem very trustworthy. They said on the VFR it's a huge job. A full service including chain,sprockets and all fluids, but not valve clearances is usually £400-£450. I've got a Haynes manual, but since I moved in to a flat, nowhere to work on the bike - and hardly any tools any more. Might ring around for a few quotes for the valve clearances. Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Is it

the V-Tec bike?

I seem to recall somewhere (and I may be wrong) about the job being 10 hours work?

As for nowhere to work on the bike, try your local housing authority or lettings agents - they sometimes have garages / lock-ups available, and often not that expensive either, and tools can be borrowed from mates if you haven't got space to keep it all.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices