Skip to content

Discuss This Dorna right to deny Suzuki new entry in 2014 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Dorna right to deny Suzuki new entry in 2014

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Dorna right to deny Suzuki new entry in 2014

MotoGP bosses are right not to give Suzuki an automatic entry to return with a new full factory 1000cc effort in the 2014 world championship. Suzuki has been told by Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta that it won’t be given a new entry to re-join the grid next year, but will have to negotiate a deal to collaborate or buy-out an existing...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 January 2013 09:51)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Mad decision

Of course the bosses of works teams are going to vote with this. They obviously want teams entered who do not pose any threats. The more non works teams entered, the more they have a chance of winning.

Lets face it, there are only going to be potentially 3 or 4 guys who can possibly win the title this year because they are the only ones on factory Yamahas or Hondas. This makes the racing by mid season (when the new year euphoria has worn off), as boring as hell.

The only way to refresh an unlimited class is to have more works teams. All of the comentators have been begging for larger grids. Filling up the places with tuned road bikes has not worked. They are nowhere and are often lapped. How is this racing?  One more of those leaving the grid is no loss at all.

Bite Suzuki's hand off and lets get back to some racing again.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Ego hurt

Carmelo is likely throwing his weight around at Suzuki for quitting. It put a dent in viewership at the tracks, money in entry fees and a smaller grid and Carmelo's ego is hurt.   If you can't afford to race, you stay home.  You don't bleed the manufacturer dry to satisfy Dorna.   If my company were in financial difficulties, I'd pack my bags too as it's more important to keep the doors open.  Sorry that Carmelo thinks this is unreasonable.

But now they're willing to come back.  Will they commit to multi year deals?  Who knows?  I'd only be interested in a year by year depending on how the company is doing.  But the bullshit about saving a non factory team is simply bullshit.  How does a new entry effect an existing team who already has a bike?  It doesn't.  It just adds to the grid.  If Suzuki leaves after a year, that team is still ther and the still have a bike.  If Carmelo wants to help the grid, he should allow more than 4 bikes from any given manufacturer.  If all the satellites want a Honda, they should be allowed if Honda can supply them.

I do understand that he wants a long term commitment so he can make sure there's entries for the coming season.  But the only way to do that is to stabilize the rules for a full 5 years to make it cost effective to stay.  You don't stabilize the teams.  You can't.  They can either afford it or they can't.

I don't agree that Suzuki needs MotoGP.  I wouldn't buy any of their bikes anyway, so to be in AMA, WSBK or GP doesn't matter to me as a consumer and spectator.  I don't like their products.  I'm not interested in Yamaha either.  Come to think of it, I don't care for Honda either and I certainly don't want to own the complxity of the Ducatis.  Suzuki can keep developing bikes fine without GP.  They can use the money saved by not racing for better marketing too.  No one needs MotoGP.  The BMW S1000R is selling like mad in the USA as is the ZX-10 and RSV4.  I've never bought a bike based on professional racing.

I actually cut off Speed TV from my service because GP was becoming boring as hell.  I won't attend Indy or Laguna Seca either.  Even COTA which is 90 minutes from me.  But I like motocross, so I got Speed TV back.  So I'll watch a little just to see if Rossi gets back to winning form.  But I agree these tuned street bikes with a custom frame are not cutting it,  Let Suzuki in even if it is 1 bike and 1 year.  If it gos well, the just maybe a stallite team will want their package and want to run a factory Suzuki, increasing the grid with 2 more prototypes instead of a crap CRT that impedes traffic flow.

Reply to this Topic
moto4

Oct 12

moto4 says:

really?

It is not as though gp grids are oversubscribed. Would think it potentially devastating for a team to give up it's current arrangements to pair up with Suzuki should Suzuki then pull out. Then that team would be in dire trouble and using the logic of carmelo et al the previous collaborators should refuse to re-unite with the remenants of the team. Then what they must wait for the next manufacturer that wants a go? This maybe a tactic to get a longer term commitment from Suzuki and perhaps they should be forced to commit if they want to return. However, in fantasy land let's imagine Suzi has 4 great bikes and real desire to pour funds and expertise into motogp. They've got trucks, staff, hospitality etc. Is it really being suggested that they should be refused because they don't want to pair up, give our proprietary info or pay (yet more) money to some other team? (and one whom would till then probably not been a front runner) To deny them an entry? Preposterous.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

In a nutshell X2

But now they're willing to come back. Will they commit to multi year deals? Who knows? I'd only be interested in a year by year depending on how the company is doing. But the bullshit about saving a non factory team is simply bullshit. How does a new entry effect an existing team who already has a bike? It doesn't. It just adds to the grid. If Suzuki leaves after a year, that team is still ther and the still have a bike. If Carmelo wants to help the grid, he should allow more than 4 bikes from any given manufacturer. If all the satellites want a Honda, they should be allowed if Honda can supply them.

My thoughts exactly X2. Accepting their entry for 2014 adds another 2 bikes - what's this bull about having to lose a team to accomodate them? Carmelo is like any other big buck promoter - a self-serving twat.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

"MotoGP bosses are right not to give Suzuki an automatic entry to return with a new full factory 1000cc effort in the 2014 world championship."

Good to see the article start off with a nice objective tone!

With the embarrassingly sparce grids comprising of a half dozen competitive bikes, you'd think DORNA would be welcoming them back with open arms. Apparently competitive protoype racing is not a high priority for the administrators of the prototype racing series. Carmelo should take a long holiday and let someone who loves close competitive racing run the show. Fucking wanker.

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

herpes ponceral buttfuck calimero

Suzuki MotoGP!!!

1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 .... 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011.........

Yes Suzuki needs to be treated hard and with no respect!!!! certainly after 35 years!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Stu749s

Oct 07

Stu749s says:

Ezpeleta

And let's not forget the rookie rule was lifted after his protege was suddenly gifted the opportunity to ride the Repsol Honda. Slap of double standards by the old fool. RIP Moto GP.

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

p.s.

dont allow kawa to come back as full factory, dont allow aprilia full factory dont allow bmw as full factory, please dont allow anyone who wants to join motogp, please ditch crt please ditch ducati as it is crt level. please ditch private teams like poncheal. take 2 factory yamaha's 2 honda's and its done. those are the only one fighting for the title!! then it will be cheap!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Legend68

Jan 13

Legend68 says:

Dorna Are In Cloud Cookoo Land!

So what makes a world championship? Let me think.... MMmmm Manufacturers?? OK Mr Ezpeleta seems to think that in the current economic climate bike manufacturers are gagging to spend millions on a Moto GP team to pay his ridiculous salary and those of his colleagues. Me thinks not... Wake up and smell the coffee Carmelo Moto GP needs manufacturers more than they need you!! Have you ever run a real business?? IDIOT   

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

again here

Honda spends on 1 bike  more then 20.000.000.-  a year.  is this cheap?. is this why suzuki can't go back in 2014?! because suzuki can affort to make bike's for more then 20.000.000.- No. not even Yamaha's bike's costs that much!! And Honda said: if we can spend all our money in motogp we will spend it else were. take notice again calimero!!!!!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices