Skip to content

Discuss This New MCN Jan 30: World first BMW R1200GS test General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > New MCN Jan 30: World first BMW R1200GS test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New MCN Jan 30: World first BMW R1200GS test

In this week's MCN, out January 30, we have a world-first test of BMW's update to their best-in-class R1200GS. We test sub-47bhp bikes ideal for new riders, and we ride the ultimate Zed special with Guy Martin Also this week: A free pull-out on Honda's new RCV213 MotoGP contender In sport: How it's now or never for Pedrosa, Spies on why he nearly quit,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 January 2013 12:06)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

will the new gs be just as much weight as the old one  and have a seat that is to high for a nomal rider

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Just bought todays MCN and read the GS test. The tyres seem a weird size and seat height is quoted as 850-875mm so that rules me out unless BMW do boots with stacked heels and a spring board to get on!

Reply to this Topic
yammy2011

Nov 12

yammy2011 says:

satnav

just get a lower seat on it, or low suspension, i sat on the low bike at the show and i could stand over it with my feet flat and my arse off the seat. i am average height (5'11ish)

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

yammy2011!

I've seen a GS with low seat and suspension and it looks like its had a 10 ton weight dropped on it. It looked like it had been in an accident. And average height at 5'11"? I'm 5'8" on a good day with 28" inside leg. I can just manage my Tiger 800 with optional low seat. I wouldn't benefit from a BM as I wouldn't go any faster, the BM is heavier and more expensive and I hear storys of unreliability and heavy oil consumption. Plus, I like waving to other bikers!

Reply to this Topic
yammy2011

Nov 12

yammy2011 says:

money

seems like the money is the route of you not having one ( I can't afford one either) but its no reason to bemoan a bike or manufacturer. if you are buying a tiger 800 (or GS1200) for speed then you are doing it wrong...

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

yammy2011

Firstly, I didn't say I couldn't afford one, I just don't want one. I took (very) early retirement 14 months ago and with what I received, I could afford anything I want, not wanting to brag but thats the fact. And I didn't say speed was important, I just said I wouldn't go any faster than normal touring speeds.In fact my next bike may well be a Bonneville as that would also do everything I want, its just that I always fancied a big trailie and Triumph were the first to bring out (for me) one that I could manage with my little legs without resorting to redesigning the suspension. All I will add is if its this style of bike you are interested in, try the Tiger coz the comfort and ultra smooth engine is superb. I can't see the benefit of going to a GS.

Reply to this Topic
Ozzie3

Dec 04

Ozzie3 says:

New GS

Being a GS owner and big fan i was long awating the results of the test. Although Adam Childs gives the bike the overall thumbs up having read the test it makes me wonder how long and how many miles he actualy did to evaluate it. The test artical seemed no more enlightening then if I had heard it off a bloke in the pub who had riden it on a dealer test ride for half an hour.I expected something a little more in depth.

Reply to this Topic
yammy2011

Nov 12

yammy2011 says:

R1200GS

I just think if money was no object that the BMW has a better complete package compared to the tiger, better residuals, more comfort (bigger screen, and more leg wind protection from the engine) more intelligent and cutting edge tech. how can anyone comment on the new bikes reliability yet? give it a few months from launch, the same goes for the smoothness of the motor.

but they do make different bikes for different people thankfully.

Reply to this Topic
NULUSIOS

Jan 13

NULUSIOS says:

Yammy

Do yourself a favor and try one some day. Not throw a leg over at a shop. Not take it around the block. Arange for a longer test ride. There is no coming back.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

yammy!

Don't know what you mean by the BM being a better package. The BM would be 4 grand more than my Tiger and apart from shaft drive, I can't see an advantage. I ride solo coz the wife has a Bonny so power isn't an issue. On motorways, I do 80-90 which the Tiger does easily loaded with luggage and on A roads and country lanes, its excellent. Theres no reliability issues with the Tiger unlike storys I hear from a number of BM owners and a mate of mine who has an R1150GS tells me it burns oil like a cross channel ferry when you start caning it. My Tiger has used about a cup full in the first 6000 miles. I paid 8 grand for it with factory panniers, centre stand, hand guards and low seat. I might get the bigger screen for it but other than that, I'm as happy as a pig in poo!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices