Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi undone by Ducati DNA MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi undone by Ducati DNA

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi undone by Ducati DNA

Valentino Rossi was unable to master Ducati’s fearsome Desmosedici machine because the bike behaved in a way that was totally alien to the riding style the nine-times world champion honed for almost two decades MotoGP paddock. That’s the view of new Ducati boss Bernhard Gobmeier, who has been charged with spearheading Ducati’s recovery after the Bologna factory endured a miserable lack...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 January 2013 15:18)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Talking b*ll*cks He would say that

The Ducati is never going to work with a 90 deg. V engine. It means the mass is too long and too spread out. To exagerate the effect it is like trying to race a chopper. The weight does not go forward enough to load the front under braking and does not load the rear enough under acceleration. i.e. corner entry and corner exit. Dovi. may be able to ride around it better than Rossi. Stoner certainly could but a re think of that engine is the way foreward. Difficult for a company that sells only 90 deg. V engined motorcycles.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Come now fuck-knuckle..

..you know Rossi had a shoulder injury that required surgery. Didn't stop him going faster in the race than Stoner did 2009..on his debut a few months later though did it?

Perhaps you can PM resident Dr. Doohanfan for a better understanding of an inflammation of the bursas: what is known as periarthritis; a very important tendinitis at the long head of the bicep; and the cartilage damage in the area that completes the skeleton of the shoulder blade [glenoid cavity]...

Then marvel at the sheer guts of competing all season long with such an injury AND a compound broken leg, when he could so easily have gone fishing?

To put it right, directly after your pathetic Valencia analogy, Rossi had a two-hour operation on his supraspinatus tendon and glenoid ligament at the Cervesi di Cattolica hospital.

The official MotoGP website quoted surgeons Dr Alex Castagna and Dr Giuseppe Porcellini as saying: "The condition of the shoulder was really critical: Valentino really had to be tough to keep racing with that kind of injury."

..and DF you conveniently senile old dingo sack. Aren't you forgetting wosi qualified his demolishing of your scrabbling impersoniation of a blind man looking for his lost stick, by pointing out that at the warm up on the Monday AFTER the downpour that you contended had washed the track of rubber and grip - while trying to make excuses for Stoner being slower than Rossi - all the top riders were at least half-a-second quicker than they had been in Sunday WUP prior to the race being postponed. The track was in fact faster you antiquated muppet.

University of Sydney my arse..  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Saturn...

"Thank you for that !   It explains perfectly why Rossi and Burgess were unable to succeed with the Desmo."

Yay... you're getting there... as has been said over & over they needed to improve more than Yamaha & Honda to close the gap... & it's a gap that they're constantly trying to stretch.

2008 to 9 the gap got bigger with the new CF bike as Stoner dropped to 220 points but they held it at that the next year (despite the crashes) effectively improving inline with the Japanese factories... then Stoner left.

"Well done!"

Reply to this Topic
RobinC

Sep 11

RobinC says:

Ducati

I hate to interupt the banal arguments from the various rider fans, but what Mr Gobmeier is saying is an admission that the Ducati DNA is contrary to what all the other bikes are, that is the very successful other bikes, but I don't see any indication in his statement that that is either wrong or that they intend to change it!

If that Ducati DNA was any good then any top level rider would be able to ride it quickly, obviously some quicker than others, but they could'nt, end of argument. I'm disapointed that Mr Gobmeier has either failed to see or at least admit that that Ducati DNA is not conjusive to a consistant fast racing motorcycle and has made no comment or any refernce to their intent to change it. Merely waiting and hoping for another Stoner or a Hailwood is not the development route to building a competitive racing motorcycle.This is sadly not a good sign of how successful Ducati will be this season.

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

I'm beginning to like Mr Gobmeier

I was originally just spouting rubbish when describing Rossi as a whimsical prima donna who spent his two years at Ducati demanding the factory build him new random parts every week, but turns out it was actually TRUE. All you need to know about Rossi is contained in the following quote: "Because after what all I did for Yamaha, they put me in a team, a very strong teammate". So after paying him millions over 5 years and providing him with a championship winning bike he thinks they owe *him* and have no right to hire a rider who might actually be faster. Hard to imagine a more self-serving and arrogant attitude. Ducati have wasted two years of development thanks to him, good riddance.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Rubbish..

2010..more crashes & less wins from 18 starts rather than 14 in 2009, is holding the gap?

Rossi was faster than Stoner 2009 at Qatar on his debut. It could be argued he pegged the gap back initially and after all the in-season testing of ways to make the CF bike work and losing ground, pegged it back again with his development direction when the new ALU chassis was reluctantly introduced.

I don't see Ducati rushing to bring back the CF bike Casey begged for, that presided over a marked decline in his fortunes.. do you?

Reply to this Topic
getagrip

Mar 12

getagrip says:

Well done Gobmeier!

Was thinking of some long winded answer, but the long and short of it seems to be, Ducati built a bike that they admit no one could ride fast until they by chance signed Casey Stoner, and Vale has done the best job of anyone since.

And the chances of stumbling upon another title winner with this bike are?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

splinters and logs and postremo

I am probably about your age wosi,  given the similar length of time following gp bike racing we claim.

Just remind me wosi, why is it that the 2011 race can be compared with the 2010 race but the 2009 race cannot, particularly given that unless my arithmetic is  failing me in my dotage the 2010 race similarly gave the opportunity for a further year of spectacular honda and yamaha development in comparison to 2009.? And why even in wosiworld are warm up times important while qualifying times are not? And it is only in wosiworld where someone who overlooked that the very 2009 race in question was washed out  when claiming track conditions did not vary year to year in night races takes issue with speculation rather than claims of fact about the effects of said washout, then cites postremo in regard to comparing the 2009 race having denied it for the 2011 race.   

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

el diablo

I'm being serious  coming back at you, but you were not being serious initially? I am willing to accept that  neither of us was being serious, but you cannot assume I am being serious either or that my motives are any different than yours. Credit for bantering in English anyway, if Spanish is your first language as seems likely, I would have no chance on a Spanish forum, and not much on a French forum, the only language apart from English with which I have any acquaintance, and someone with your obvious language skills surely must realise idiom is a difficulty with either of us knowing whether the other is attempting humour in this context.. 

You will not find any post from me on this or any other forum saying that Stoner's career in any way approaches rossi's , or any claim from him for that matter that he even approaches doohan. I don't criticise rossi, I mainly because it amuses me come back at people who denigrate Stoner , which I realise is done with varying degrees of seriousness, despite those who claim to be joking not infrequently seeming to take offence when they are answered in similar vein.

He had 2 fantastic seasons, when he "'rode like a God" as some bloke called valentino said.  He didn't have multiple further such seasons like doohan and rossi, but he was still pretty good and I enjoyed being a fan of his, and I do object to some extent to people pretending that winning 38 premier class gp races, 23 on a ducati, can be blithely dismissed. I think jorge is probably better than him too, btw, hardly a scathing criticism of stoner.

To get back to idiom, there is an (american) english saying, " if ifs and buts were crackers and nuts everyday would be Christmas", so we should perhaps wait till the total spanish domination actually occurs; Australia looked to have few prospects in motogp as recently as 2006, had 3 competitors, 2 of them race winners in 2008, and as you say has none in the premier class now.

My point about the aprilia cube was deliberately exaggerated, but the problem with that bike despite its prodigiously powerful engine which allowed prodigious straightline performance and even apart from a propensity for catching on fire was not colin edward's riding talent, but rather car engine guys producing an engine which made the bike completely unrideable, and by most accounts , including valentino's, the engine characteristics which gave the ducati its straightline advantage particularly in 2007 also made it very difficult to ride.

(EDIT I do realise I probably should desist from all this, as the boot possibly quite temporarily is on the other foot, but I am a veteran of years on these forums where wosiworld was very much  the prevalent world view; even when 90% of posts ridiculed stoner I did not attack rossi or take issue with people justifiably acclaiming him and gave him full credit for his 2008 and 2009 championships, the 2008 championship being among his very best imo)

Reply to this Topic
Smackbum

Jun 11

Smackbum says:

Don't bother, Doohanfan

Every time you poke logic through the swiss cheese of Wosi-troll's arguments, he just whips out another one.  Either that or he straight-out lies and puts up strawman arguments that he then knocks over with the style and grace of a 3-legged elephant.

For example I don't recall ever saying Rossi would never podium on the Yamaha, but in Wosi-world that becomes a convenient "fact" for him to sneer at me like a less charismatic version of Mr Bean.  How droll.

The only way I see Rossi NOT podiuming (sic) next year is if the Honda carries through the season as the best bike, and none of the other 3 aliens make any mistakes or get taken out,  Highly unlikely you would think.  If current form and machinery is a guide then the championship will be Dani, Jorge, Marc, Valentino.  Do I think it will end that way???  Probably not.  As we saw in 2012 there are too many random factors and that is what makes a good drama.

But this article is about the past - and in particular Rossi's failure at Ducati and it's causes.  The failure is a fact, the causes open to conjecture.  Gobby thinks that Rossi was an old dog that couldn't learn any new tricks.  In a back-handed way he was saying that Rossi was too Japanese and not enough Italian.  In some sense that is not a bad way of looking at it.

Now back to Wosi-troll's oh so amusing lies .....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle