Skip to content

Discuss This Husqvarna being sold to KTM? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Husqvarna being sold to KTM?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Husqvarna being sold to KTM?

High-placed motorcycle industry sources have tipped MCN off that BMW is negotiating the sale of Husqvarna to Austrian firm KTM with an announcement expected as early as the end of this week to officially confirm it. German giant BMW bought Husqvarna from MV Agusta in 2008; just as the world entered a financial crisis but has ploughed huge sums of money...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 January 2013 17:01)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

good news...

lets hope the sale doesn't break down.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

This great news! Go KTM!

This is the best news I have heard in a very long while. Boy was the purchase of Husky by BMW one of the biggest blunders since H-D bought MV and sold it back to Castiglioni for 1 Euro.

The dirt bike market is dying and ownership of such fringe brands with extreme low volumes and huge overhead are not advisable.

BMW bought Husky for one reason and one reason alone: whim of their leader at that time. At the time of Husky purchase the head of Motorrad global was a huge dirt bike fan (name withheld). He was the one who also green lighted the doomed "X" (cross) series of bikes. So, he wanted a dirt bike company, Husky was available and they bought it. To the surprise of many and astonishment of motorcycle industry of why would an on-road brand that's known for touring and ADV bikes would want a dirt bike company with only a few thousands units in sales globally and a dirt bike market that has been sinking at a rate of ~20% a year?

Anyway, I am very glad that KTM, that is the much more capable of running such a small company, is interested in buying it. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW just hand over Husky to them. The same way the handed over the Rover brand to the Brits several years ago.

Keep in mind, KTM is an off-shoot of Husky anyway. It came into being, after Husky brand became inactive for some time.

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

3's a crowd

While I don't disagree with the comments from Shiva, I do wonder if there is room in the KTM stable for 3 off road brands. Obviously they have their own KTM off road range, then Husaberg which is so similar to the KTM already and now potentially Husqvarna. Quite how all 3 of those will compete with each other or not and also compete against the Japanese off roaders is unknown to me, I just can't see it. the Husqvarna roads bikes like the Nuda also compete sort of with the Superduke/ Duke bikes so it would be interesting to see how they blend another brand into the model range the group offers.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Husky

Husqvarna used to be about lightweight relatively powerful motocross and supermoto style bikes. BMW seemed to have tried to expand the road range to be slightly lardy and quirky middleweight bikes that seem a bit pipe and slippers in comparison to their real competitors. I'm not sure the current road range appeals to real Husqvarna enthusiasts andHusqvarna doesn't have enough high profile recent history to attract lots of new customers.

Like others have said I'm not sure if KTM could see them as an extension of their range or competitors to it.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I like the styling of the Huskies, and think KTM can bring them to the next level. The biggest down falls, were power/weight/autonomy and dealer network.

Reply to this Topic
singletraker

Jan 13

singletraker says:

Shiva wrote: "Keep in mind, KTM is an off-shoot of Husky anyway. It came into being, after Husky brand became inactive for some time"

Although it may appear that way,it was Husaberg that was formed in 1987 when Husqvarna sold out to Cagiva. There were a handfull of engineers that didn't want to go over to Cagiva and they're the ones that started the Husaberg line. In the late 90's KTM bought husaberg with the intention of building a lightweight/dependable 4 stroke and the result was the KTM RFS. Kinda gets confusing @ times but I'm very glad to hear that Husky is back in the hands of a DIrtbike oriented Company. Cheers and happy trails :) 

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Crazy...

The biggest problems with the new BMW Powered Huskies were the dealers - there aren't any. They had really good reviews and seemed pretty good but buying one was impossible. If BMW had invested in training their BMW and Husquevana dealers to sell both brands they would have done very well. KTM will have a similar problem since there are very few dealers for them as well.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Seems like sentiment over pragmatism

There isn't room in the market.  Just let it die with dignity.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Better KTM

Better KTM buying Husqvarna than Piaggio – now there is a company with a mess of overlapping brands, inconsistent direction (is Aprilia a mid-market scooter or a high-end performance bike marque?), and sketchy dealer network.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Thanks SingleTracker

Thinking further about this.  It's rather ironic that BMW would buy a dirt bike company and then gradually try to make it a road bike brand.  that was another thing that just didn't make sense.  Of course BMW intention for adding more road bikes was that, as stated, the dirt bike market is really not doing well.  I like the idea of "death with dignity" as suggested.  But KTM may be tempted to add 10,000 more units a year to their line up and the idea of buying a company that has updated factory at a ready.  And I assume with no debt.  Since BMW has very deep pockets.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices