Skip to content

Discuss This Would you consider using your bike to commute to work instead of taking the car / train / bus etc? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Would you consider using your bike to commute to work instead of taking the car / train / bus etc?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you consider using your bike to commute to work instead of taking the car / train / bus etc?

How do you make your way to work in the morning? In this weather, the train or bus is probably the most sensible answer at least - there's a lot to be said for arriving at work warm and dry! Or do you brave the elements and ride the bike anyways? Maybe you keep a winter hack, or maybe you've jsut...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 January 2013 09:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
M1kiboy

Dec 02

M1kiboy says:

No.

It takes me 10 minutes to walk to the garage and get the car out.

It takes me less than 30 minutes to cycle.

It takes me around 35 minutes to unlock the bike and get it out, 10 mins plus to kit up.  Pack stuff for shops, breakfast or evening meal. 

5 mins to get to work then another 5 locking the bike.

Not for me I am afriad.

Reply to this Topic
nafterli

Jan 13

nafterli says:

It takes 15-20 minutes to drive to work (depending on traffic), 30 minutes on public transport and 10 minutes to ride... i choose the lesser evil.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

daily commute.

I'd pick the bike everytime. If work was close enough I'd use the pushbike to save the money, but being sat in slow moving traffic is one thing I just cannot do and remain sane. It's my view that cars should only be for the elderly and infirm and the disabled, oh and reps or tradesmen who need to cart around tools and equipment. Have always used the bike in all weathers and always enjoyed the ride to and from work.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Riding to work

I ride to work some of the time and, for obvious reasons, more often during the summer.  As a company car driver, I see no point in putting my bikes through the crap winter weather.          

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

Ride everywhere!

Even with the new motorcycle license law changes (im 17),i still haven't been put of riding and I use, and will continue to use my bike and future bikes to ride everywhere. Cheaper than a car in every aspect, more fun and filtering!

Reply to this Topic
cetdac

Mar 10

cetdac says:

Car - too slow and boring!

Yes always. Less than a minute into garage then have boots and padded leggings in fireman style so step straight in, neck warmer then jacket on then lid plug in dab radio (built in speakers) gloves on drag bike out close garage and off we go. Car is hopeless stuck at every light behind the idiots who eventually move off at green leaving you stuck at red. Car - no way!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Instead of...

Most days the motorcycles stay in the garage, while I ride the 6 miles to work on my Honda Elite (aka Lead) 110.

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

It's hard work but not unbearable.

I got myself a tatty Kawasaki Zephyr 550. Low seat height so you can paddle through the snow. Low power so it's not going to spin up easily. Fitted heated grips AND handlebar muffs. It looks rubbish but I'm not on the pull so I don't care. Levels of concentration on icy roads shoot up and it is mentally tiring unless you're oblivious to the danger. On the gritted roads you'll still sail past the nose-to-tail traffic with drivers peering out through the little holes they've made in their iced up windscreens. Ride cautiously and you'll still beat the buses and cars. The only think I still haven't sorted is warm feet. Any tips for keeping your feet warm on a bike?

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Winter

My Gixer is a handful in the dry so going nowhere near snow and ice, wouldn't want it getting damaged

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

I always used my bike from choice.

It was a bit of a pain sometimes when we were finishing work, especially on a late duty, when all my colleagues just walked out of the door while I was still struggling into riding gear. However, I always passed them on the way home.

When the weather was really bad I'd leave my Ducati in the garage and "borrow" my daughter's trail bike rather than use my car.

Here's another thing: when I started at a new job I initially made more friends because I was riding a motorcycle than I would have if I'd arrived in a car. Someone would come into my department and say "who's is that bike?" and that was often the start of a friendship with a fellow bike enthusiast. I met one of my best friends that way and we went to the Isle Of Man TT Races together for the next ten years.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle