Skip to content

Discuss This At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock?

We've all done some tyre-kicking in our time - a wander around the local dealers just to see what's there. Sometimes, though something will invariably catch you eye, and you'll have to take a closer look. But - is there a number on the clocks that'll make you back off right away? What's too many miles on the clock?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 January 2013 09:21)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Too many miles

Depends on the bike and the service history. In these days of 100K plus engines, a well serviced and looked after bike will be dependable even with a high mileage. It also depends on how many miles  you expect to be putting on the bike yourself,  but the final arbitrater will be the depth of your wallet and how picky you can afford to be!  For myself  the lower the better and preferably less than 40K.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Mileage

The condition and history of the bike are more important than the mileage.  There isn't a set milage figure at which I would walk away.  I have viewed 40,000 mile bikes that I would be quite happy to buy and 10,000 mile wrecks that I wouldn't even consider.  Each bike has to stand on its own merits. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

it doesn't matter to me

I couldn’t vote as its irrelevant to me, there is no vote option for ‘it doesn’t matter’ Most bike engines effortlessly do high miles and key items like pistons, barrels and cams can be replaced to give your bike another 100k miles lifetime. Brakes, shocks etc are easy to replace and service, it’s even easy to improve on the original items and have a bike much better than a showroom model. With new bike prices so high new buyers are being mugged-off by the taxman and anyone that knows how to use a spanner are picking up traded-in bargains. I think bikers will rethink what really is a high mile bike. (car drivers would laugh their heads off at what ‘we’ call high miles)

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Which Bike?

I would be more suspect of supersport 600 with 20K miles than a touring bike with 80K miles, as the former may well have been flogged and abused by a squid.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

High mileage

A 125cc 2 stroke would be different to an 1100cc 4 stroke.

My ZZR600 has done 31,000 miles and is in perfect health, and still putting out 95 BHP at the rear wheel (not bad for an engine first released in 1993). BMW R1200GS has done 34,000 miles. They aren't considered properly run in until 15,000 miles....

Mate of mine has a ZZR1400 and is worried about the high mileage as it's done 27,000 miles. I keep telling him it should be good for 100,000 but he wont listen.

Lets face it, you can't thrash a big CC bike.

Reply to this Topic
speedy231278

Jun 10

speedy231278 says:

Do miles really matter as long as it's been looked after and serviced right? I own an NC35 with 118000kms on it, and it gets everything done by the book, if not a bit more frequently. It goes as well as the day I got it, and in that time I've tripled the distance it has travelled! I'd rather buy a slightly tatty, 50000 mile bike that's been well cared for than a 5000 mile bike with a rusty chain.....

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

It depends on the bike.

Here's an experience of mine from 1996. I had been working as a long-distance courier and my Honda ST1100 had clocked up 125,000 reliable miles when I had a spill. The insurers decided to write it off so I took their offer and moved on.

A few months later I had a telephone call from a policeman in Northern Ireland asking about my 25,000 mile Pan European which he'd seen in a dealer. He rode one in his job and wanted his own. I told him it was actually 125,000 and that it had been written off and asked what he was going to do. "Go and buy it but get some money off it" he said. He was right too, that Honda had new bodywork and the engine was built like a Swiss watch, with proper care it would go on and on..................

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

It depends..

..on wether you're buying or selling    ;-)

Reply to this Topic
paulfielding

Aug 02

paulfielding says:

Once again...

Another daft question. A moped with 50K miles is probably worn out. But a 1200GS? You can't generalise.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

a sports bike with low miles and only frashed every weekend will be less reliable then a bike that has been used every day. i will wont buy a low miles bike what has been sold on with out much use. as it shows it my not be much good.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices